* Any instructions on using bibtex with org?
@ 2010-02-05 15:55 Paul Mead
From: Paul Mead @ 2010-02-05 15:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Can anyone please provide me with a link to instructions on using bibtex
with org? I've been searching for a while and I found the stuff on worg
about org-exp-bibtex.el but I can't see from that how to set this up.

Thanks, Paul.

* Re: Any instructions on using bibtex with org?
@ 2010-02-05 17:36 ` Raffi R
From: Raffi R @ 2010-02-05 17:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Paul Mead; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Are you trying to export to BibTeX or simply integrate orgmode with a
BibTeX database?

http://www.mfasold.net/blog/2009/02/using-emacs-org-mode-to-draft-papers/
is the blog post I used to set up orgmode with RefTex so that I can
very easily insert BibTeX citations into my org documents and export
fairly seamlessly.

@ 2010-02-05 18:24   ` Paul Mead
From: Paul Mead @ 2010-02-05 18:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Raffi R; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Raffi R <raffir@gmail.com> writes:

> Are you trying to export to BibTeX or simply integrate orgmode with a
> BibTeX database?
>
> http://www.mfasold.net/blog/2009/02/using-emacs-org-mode-to-draft-papers/
> is the blog post I used to set up orgmode with RefTex so that I can
> very easily insert BibTeX citations into my org documents and export
> fairly seamlessly.

Thanks Raffi, that's what I wanted to do - insert citations whilst in
org for later export as LaTeX --> pdf. I'll give that a look.

@ 2010-02-05 18:36   ` Paul Mead
From: Paul Mead @ 2010-02-05 18:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Raffi R; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Raffi R <raffir@gmail.com> writes:

> Are you trying to export to BibTeX or simply integrate orgmode with a
> BibTeX database?
>
> http://www.mfasold.net/blog/2009/02/using-emacs-org-mode-to-draft-papers/
> is the blog post I used to set up orgmode with RefTex so that I can
> very easily insert BibTeX citations into my org documents and export
> fairly seamlessly.

OK, I just tried the setup descripbed in that site, but there doesn't
appear to be any way of telling org where to look for a .bib file. So
when I type C-c ), I get the following error:

byte-code: No valid bibliography in this document, and no default
available

Did you follow the instructions exactly, or is there a step that I'm
missing?

@ 2010-02-05 18:50     ` Raffi R
From: Raffi R @ 2010-02-05 18:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Paul Mead; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

I'm not at the computer with most of my BibTeX/orgmode stuff right
now, but I suspect you may still have to include something along the
lines of:

\bibliography{my_bibliography_filename}{}
\bibliographystyle{plain}

at the end of your orgmode document.

HTH,
- Raffi.

@ 2010-02-05 19:11       ` Paul Mead
From: Paul Mead @ 2010-02-05 19:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Raffi R; +Cc: Paul Mead, emacs-orgmode

Raffi R <raffir@gmail.com> writes:

> I'm not at the computer with most of my BibTeX/orgmode stuff right
> now, but I suspect you may still have to include something along the
> lines of:
>
> \bibliography{my_bibliography_filename}{}
> \bibliographystyle{plain}
>
> at the end of your orgmode document.
>
> HTH,
> - Raffi.

Raffi, that worked with a bit of tweaking!

The documents always seem to assume far too much knowledge - in this
case, I eventually figured out that I had to reload org-mode before it
could scan my document and so figure out which  bibtex file to use.

Go there eventually, now just got to build up my bibtex file.

Thanks for your help with this.

Paul