* Elementary: How to return to the main view
@ 2010-10-14  1:11 Umesh P N
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Umesh P N @ 2010-10-14  1:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

From the main view, if I click on a tag, org-mode will show only items with
that tag.  How to go back to the main view?

Is the information I see when I click on a tag a sparse tree?  If so, how to
return from a sparse tree to the main view?

Must be quite elementary, but I can't figure it out.

Umesh

* Re: Elementary: How to return to the main view
@ 2010-10-14  2:48 ` Jeff Horn
From: Jeff Horn @ 2010-10-14  2:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Umesh P N; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

+1. This was confusing to me as well. Does it open a new buffer? If
so, you could just switch back with C-x b RET.

But you bring up a good point. What should I see with a sparse tree?
If I do a sparse tree in a doc with TODO's scattered through out, and
the regex I choose is "TODO", I was expecting everything else to be
folded away (fold region or what-not). Instead, the TODOs are merely
highlighted on my machine.

Maybe a clearer explanation/example in the documentation could help.
Or perhaps a tutorial on sparse trees on Worg?

Best,
Jeff

On Wed, Oct 13, 2010 at 9:11 PM, Umesh P N <umesh.p.nair@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> From the main view, if I click on a tag, org-mode will show only items with
> that tag.  How to go back to the main view?
>
> Is the information I see when I click on a tag a sparse tree?  If so, how to
> return from a sparse tree to the main view?
>
> Must be quite elementary, but I can't figure it out.
>
> Thanks,
>

> --
> Umesh

Jeffrey Horn
Graduate Lecturer and PhD Student in Economics
George Mason University

(704) 271-4797
jhorn@gmu.edu
jrhorn424@gmail.com

* Re: Elementary: How to return to the main view
@ 2010-10-14  8:02 ` Jan Böcker
From: Jan Böcker @ 2010-10-14  8:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Umesh P N; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On 10/14/2010 03:11 AM, Umesh P N wrote:
> Hi,
>
> From the main view, if I click on a tag, org-mode will show only items
> with that tag.  How to go back to the main view?

I just tried it. For me, clicking on the tags of an entry will open an
agenda view showing all items from my agenda files which have a superset
of the tags of this entry.

Org will re-use an existing agenda buffer for this if possible,
otherwise it will open a new agenda buffer. You can get back to your Org
file by switching buffers (C-x b RET) or killing the agenda buffer (C-x
k RET).

I am running Org-mode version 7.01trans (release_7.01h.226.ge238a).

HTH, Jan

* Re: Elementary: How to return to the main view
@ 2010-10-14  8:10   ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2010-10-14  8:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jan Böcker; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Oct 14, 2010, at 10:02 AM, Jan Böcker wrote:

> On 10/14/2010 03:11 AM, Umesh P N wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> From the main view, if I click on a tag, org-mode will show only
>> items
>> with that tag.  How to go back to the main view?
>
> I just tried it. For me, clicking on the tags of an entry will open an
> agenda view showing all items from my agenda files which have a
> superset
> of the tags of this entry.
>
> Org will re-use an existing agenda buffer for this if possible,
> otherwise it will open a new agenda buffer. You can get back to your
> Org
> file by switching buffers (C-x b RET) or killing the agenda buffer
> (C-x
> k RET).

And if you do not like this way to display an agenda view, i.e. if you
mostly click tags by accident, you can turn off the activation of tags
as links by customizing the variable org-activate-links

- Carsten

> I am running Org-mode version 7.01trans (release_7.01h.226.ge238a).
>
> HTH, Jan

- Carsten

* Re: Elementary: How to return to the main view
@ 2010-10-14  9:23 ` Sebastian Rose
From: Sebastian Rose @ 2010-10-14  9:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Umesh P N; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Umesh P N <umesh.p.nair@gmail.com> writes:
> Hi,
>
> From the main view, if I click on a tag, org-mode will show only items with
> that tag.  How to go back to the main view?
>
> Is the information I see when I click on a tag a sparse tree?  If so, how to
> return from a sparse tree to the main view?

Press `q'

No idea what the "main view" might be... I can click tags in Org mode
buffers only.

  Sebastian