* agenda does not call file
@ 2010-12-01 15:48 Maurice
From: Maurice @ 2010-12-01 15:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi org-moders,

1 configuration
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Below, a piece of my org-agenda-custom-commands. I want to obtain my notes from my ordinary agenda
files and from carto.org. Some of them are tagged "note" with the property CATEGORY "openstreetmap"

("n" . "Notes")
         ("na" "toutes" tags "note" nil)
         ("nc" "connexions"
          ((tags "CATEGORY=\"connexions internet\"+note"
                ((org-agenda-remove-tags t))
                )))
         ("no" "osm"
             (
              (tags "CATEGORY=\"openstreetmap\"+note"
                   ((org-agenda-remove-tags t)))
              (tags "CATEGORY=\"openstreetmap\"+note"
                    ((org-agenda-files '("/home/momo/org/ordi/carto.org"))
                     (org-agenda-remove-tags t)
                     ))
            ))

2 manip1
~~~~~~~~
With C-c a n o, my agenda looks like :

2.1 bad
-------

Headlines with TAGS match: CATEGORY="openstreetmap"+note
  openstreetmap:      osmosis
  openstreetmap:      org et osm ou gmap : pour indiquer un lieu
  openstreetmap:      Exemple de lettre à l'administration pour libérer les données

               ====
Headlines with TAGS match: CATEGORY="openstreetmap"+note

3 manip2
~~~~~~~~
Now, I load file carto.org and if I lock agenda restriction to this file
(C-c C-x <) I get :

3.1 good
--------

Headlines with TAGS match: CATEGORY="openstreetmap"+note
  openstreetmap:      Openstreetmap
  openstreetmap:      josm et tilecache
  openstreetmap:      fichier traces
  openstreetmap:      commandes
  openstreetmap:      marquage d'un endroit ?
  openstreetmap:      cartes vélo et piétion garmin
  openstreetmap:      cartes garmin de Geofabrik
  openstreetmap:      commande osmosis
  openstreetmap:      OpenStreetMap/OpenLayers and Privoxy
  openstreetmap:      Finding all affected URLs
  openstreetmap:      Comparing the files

               ===
Headlines with TAGS match: CATEGORY="openstreetmap"+note
  openstreetmap:      Openstreetmap
  openstreetmap:      josm et tilecache
  openstreetmap:      fichier traces
  openstreetmap:      commandes
  openstreetmap:      marquage d'un endroit ?
  openstreetmap:      cartes vélo et piétion garmin
  openstreetmap:      cartes garmin de Geofabrik
  openstreetmap:      commande osmosis
  openstreetmap:      OpenStreetMap/OpenLayers and Privoxy
  openstreetmap:      Finding all affected URLs
  openstreetmap:      Comparing the files

4 manip3
~~~~~~~~
I "agenda lock agenda restriction remove" ( C-c C-x >), I get :

4.1 excellent
-------------

Headlines with TAGS match: CATEGORY="openstreetmap"+note
  openstreetmap:      osmosis
  openstreetmap:      org et osm ou gmap : pour indiquer un lieu
  openstreetmap:      Exemple de lettre à l'administration pour libérer les données

                ===
Headlines with TAGS match: CATEGORY="openstreetmap"+note
  openstreetmap:      Openstreetmap
  openstreetmap:      josm et tilecache
  openstreetmap:      fichier traces
  openstreetmap:      commandes
  openstreetmap:      marquage d'un endroit ?
  openstreetmap:      cartes vélo et piétion garmin
  openstreetmap:      cartes garmin de Geofabrik
  openstreetmap:      commande osmosis
  openstreetmap:      OpenStreetMap/OpenLayers and Privoxy
  openstreetmap:      Finding all affected URLs
  openstreetmap:      Comparing the files

5 Conclusion
~~~~~~~~~~~~

If I kill the buffer carto.org, I need to repeat manip2 and manip3 to
succeed. Just reloading file carto.org is inefficient.

I suppose the agenda command does not consider the required file
(carto.org), even if this command loads it - I can see it in list of
buffers.

Maybe my configuration is wrong and of course, no errors occur at any time.

Thanks for future explanation,

Maurice

* agenda does not call file
@ 2010-12-06 17:20 maurice
From: maurice @ 2010-12-06 17:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi org-moders,

1 configuration
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

,----
| Headlines with TAGS match: CATEGORY="openstreetmap"+note
|   openstreetmap:      osmosis
|   openstreetmap:      org et osm ou gmap : pour indiquer un lieu
|   openstreetmap:      Exemple de lettre à l'administration pour libérer les données
|
|                ====
| Headlines with TAGS match: CATEGORY="openstreetmap"+note
`----

3 manip2
~~~~~~~~
Now, I load file carto.org and if I lock agenda restriction to this file
(C-c C-x <) I get :

3.1 good
--------

,----
| Headlines with TAGS match: CATEGORY="openstreetmap"+note
|   openstreetmap:      Openstreetmap
|   openstreetmap:      josm et tilecache
|   openstreetmap:      fichier traces
|   openstreetmap:      commandes
|   openstreetmap:      marquage d'un endroit ?
|   openstreetmap:      cartes vélo et piétion garmin
|   openstreetmap:      cartes garmin de Geofabrik
|   openstreetmap:      commande osmosis
|   openstreetmap:      OpenStreetMap/OpenLayers and Privoxy
|   openstreetmap:      Finding all affected URLs
|   openstreetmap:      Comparing the files
|
|                ===
| Headlines with TAGS match: CATEGORY="openstreetmap"+note
|   openstreetmap:      Openstreetmap
|   openstreetmap:      josm et tilecache
|   openstreetmap:      fichier traces
|   openstreetmap:      commandes
|   openstreetmap:      marquage d'un endroit ?
|   openstreetmap:      cartes vélo et piétion garmin
|   openstreetmap:      cartes garmin de Geofabrik
|   openstreetmap:      commande osmosis
|   openstreetmap:      OpenStreetMap/OpenLayers and Privoxy
|   openstreetmap:      Finding all affected URLs
|   openstreetmap:      Comparing the files
`----

4 manip3
~~~~~~~~
I "agenda lock agenda restriction remove" ( C-c C-x >), I get :

4.1 excellent
-------------

,----
| Headlines with TAGS match: CATEGORY="openstreetmap"+note
|   openstreetmap:      osmosis
|   openstreetmap:      org et osm ou gmap : pour indiquer un lieu
|   openstreetmap:      Exemple de lettre à l'administration pour libérer les données
|
|                 ===
| Headlines with TAGS match: CATEGORY="openstreetmap"+note
|   openstreetmap:      Openstreetmap
|   openstreetmap:      josm et tilecache
|   openstreetmap:      fichier traces
|   openstreetmap:      commandes
|   openstreetmap:      marquage d'un endroit ?
|   openstreetmap:      cartes vélo et piétion garmin
|   openstreetmap:      cartes garmin de Geofabrik
|   openstreetmap:      commande osmosis
|   openstreetmap:      OpenStreetMap/OpenLayers and Privoxy
|   openstreetmap:      Finding all affected URLs
|   openstreetmap:      Comparing the files
`----

5 Conclusion
~~~~~~~~~~~~

If I kill the buffer carto.org, I need to repeat manip2 and manip3 to
succeed. Just reloading file carto.org is inefficient.

I suppose the agenda command does not consider the required file
(carto.org), even if this command loads it - I can see it in list of
buffers.

Maybe my configuration is wrong and of course, no errors occur at any
time.

emacs :
GNU Emacs 23.2.1 (x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 2.20.1)
 of 2010-11-04 on barber, modified by Debian

org-mode :
7.3

Thanks for future explanation,

Maurice

* Re: agenda does not call file
@ 2010-12-09 10:13 ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2010-12-09 10:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: maurice; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Dec 6, 2010, at 6:20 PM, maurice@mboucher.info wrote:

> Hi org-moders,
>
> 1 configuration
> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
> Below, a piece of my org-agenda-custom-commands. I want to obtain my
> notes from my ordinary agenda files and from carto.org. Some of them
> are
> tagged "note" with the property CATEGORY "openstreetmap"
>
> ("n" . "Notes")
>        ("na" "toutes" tags "note" nil)
>        ("nc" "connexions"
>         ((tags "CATEGORY=\"connexions internet\"+note"
>               ((org-agenda-remove-tags t))
>               )))
>        ("no" "osm"
>            (
>             (tags "CATEGORY=\"openstreetmap\"+note"
>                  ((org-agenda-remove-tags t)))
>             (tags "CATEGORY=\"openstreetmap\"+note"
>                   ((org-agenda-files '("/home/momo/org/ordi/
> carto.org"))
>                    (org-agenda-remove-tags t)
>                    ))
>           ))

Hi Maurice,

you have discovered that in a block agenda view, it
is only possible to *restrict* the range of files
used in a block, not to widen it.  I was not aware
myself of this restriction, but looking at the code
I see it is there.

The reason for this is that, in order to speed things up,
Org does some prep work on the agenda files before parsing
for the different blocks.  At that prep stage, all the files
are pulled in.

So you can get this to work by setting the list of agenda
files to all agenda files plus the extra file in the *global*
option section for this custom command.

The following might work (untested):

("no" "osm"
((tags "CATEGORY=\"openstreetmap\"+note"
	((org-agenda-remove-tags t)))
  (tags "CATEGORY=\"openstreetmap\"+note"
	((org-agenda-files '("/home/momo/org/ordi/carto.org"))
	 (org-agenda-remove-tags t)
	 )))
((org-agenda-files (cons "/home/momo/org/ordi/carto.org" (org-agenda-
files)))))

This should work because the values in option sections are
evaluated before use (which is why you normally would
have to quote them).

Hope this helps.

- Carsten

> [...]
> |   openstreetmap:      cartes garmin de Geofabrik
> |   openstreetmap:      commande osmosis
> |   openstreetmap:      OpenStreetMap/OpenLayers and Privoxy
> |   openstreetmap:      Finding all affected URLs
> |   openstreetmap:      Comparing the files
> `----
>

> 5 Conclusion
> ~~~~~~~~~~~~
>
> If I kill the buffer carto.org, I need to repeat manip2 and manip3 to
> succeed. Just reloading file carto.org is inefficient.
>
> I suppose the agenda command does not consider the required file
> (carto.org), even if this command loads it - I can see it in list of
> buffers.
>
> Maybe my configuration is wrong and of course, no errors occur at any
> time.
>
> emacs :
> GNU Emacs 23.2.1 (x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 2.20.1)
> of 2010-11-04 on barber, modified by Debian

* Re: agenda does not call file
@ 2010-12-09 16:31   ` Maurice Boucher
From: Maurice Boucher @ 2010-12-09 16:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carsten Dominik; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi Carsten,

Carsten Dominik <carsten.dominik@gmail.com> écrivit :

> you have discovered that in a block agenda view, it
> is only possible to *restrict* the range of files
> used in a block, not to widen it.  I was not aware
> myself of this restriction, but looking at the code
> I see it is there.
>
> The reason for this is that, in order to speed things up,
> Org does some prep work on the agenda files before parsing
> for the different blocks.  At that prep stage, all the files
> are pulled in.
>
> So you can get this to work by setting the list of agenda
> files to all agenda files plus the extra file in the *global*
> option section for this custom command.
>
> The following might work (untested):
>
> ("no" "osm"
> ((tags "CATEGORY=\"openstreetmap\"+note"
> 	((org-agenda-remove-tags t)))
>  (tags "CATEGORY=\"openstreetmap\"+note"
> 	((org-agenda-files '("/home/momo/org/ordi/carto.org"))
> 	 (org-agenda-remove-tags t)
> 	 )))
> ((org-agenda-files (cons "/home/momo/org/ordi/carto.org" (org-agenda-
> files)))))
>

> This should work because the values in option sections are
> evaluated before use (which is why you normally would
> have to quote them).

Thanks for your answer.

Your code is right but it gives twice the same agenda and it was not my
goal.

I want to recognize which are the files my notes come from.

I add a filetag "carto" on my file carto.org to separate the agenda view
and with your example, I rewrite my command :

("no" "osm"
         ((tags "CATEGORY=\"openstreetmap\"+note"
                ((org-agenda-remove-tags t)))
          (tags "CATEGORY=\"openstreetmap\"+carto"
                ((org-agenda-files '("/home/momo/org/ordi/carto.org"))
                 (org-agenda-remove-tags t)
                 )))
         ((org-agenda-files (cons "/home/momo/org/ordi/carto.org"
         (org-agenda-files)))))

I use to put notes about the same subject in different files or sections
like "answer mail", "program". I just keep important and definitive
notes in special files (here "carto.org"). By this way I can see and
reorganize all of them.

I think the most difficult about org-mode is not about configuration -
documentation, faqs, tutorials are very good - but about organizing
files, todo, tags, etc. in the best way to keep these objects small,
simple and well structured.

Bye,

Maurice

* Re: agenda does not call file
@ 2011-02-03 13:47 ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2011-02-03 13:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Maurice; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi Maurice,

Maurice <zarbi@aliceadsl.fr> writes:

> Below, a piece of my org-agenda-custom-commands. I want to obtain my
> notes from my ordinary agenda files and from carto.org. Some of them
> are tagged "note" with the property CATEGORY "openstreetmap"

What version of Org and Emacs are you using ?

Can you make a simple test-case ?

Please read http://orgmode.org/manual/Feedback.html -- help us better
help you!  Thanks,

--