* Git merge tool for Org files
@ 2011-08-18 10:45 Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2011-08-18 10:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Org Mode List; +Cc: Brian Gough

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone here has the skills and interest to write
a git merge driver for Org mode files, in the way

   http://git.savannah.gnu.org/gitweb/?p=gnulib.git;a=blob;f=lib/git-merge-changelog.c

does this for GNU style ChangeLog files?

One of the obstacle for using Org-mode for collaborative programs is that
many operations add or remove text from the beginning or end of a file,
or which add or remove a subnode from an outline tree.
These are operations that confuse the git merger, in particular
if two people have added something to a file, or removed/added
sequential sibling nodes.

I believe that this could be solved with a dedicated merge driver
that understands the integrity of an outline (sub)tree, and that
knows that the sequence of two new subtrees added by different people
does not matter.

The idea for this is actually (I believe) from Brian Gough who asked me
about it at FOSDEM.  I have now also run into this problem and would
really find it great if such a merge driver could be written.
Unfortunately, I do not have the skill for this.

- Carsten