* Org agenda started behaving badly
@ 2018-06-09  4:55 Marcin Borkowski
From: Marcin Borkowski @ 2018-06-09  4:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi all,

so out of nowhere my org agenda started behaving in a strange way.  It
seems not to respect my TODO-keywords settings:

(setq org-todo-keywords
      '((sequence "TODO(t!)" "DONE(d!)")
	(sequence "SOMEDAY(s!)")
	(sequence "CANCELLED(c@)")
	(sequence "WAIT(w!)" "|")))

i.e., it now shows all the "CANCELLED" items as if "CANCELLED" was not
a todo keyword at all.  When I visit the offending file and issue M-x
normal-mode, everything is back to normal again.

Now the strange thing is, I haven't updated Org in a while.  I did now,
but the problem persists.  I am on

Org mode version 9.1.13 (release_9.1.13-791-g842002 @ [...])

and

GNU Emacs 27.0.50 (commit f1e65b7)

I also can't remember changing my config (but it's quite possible that
I'm forgetting something).

What I did do is I updated some packages through the Emacs package
manager, but I don't think this is related.

Now I know this is a bit vague, but does anyone have any idea what might
cause this, or how I could try to debug this problem?

Of course, I have a lot of Org-mode-related customizations in my
init.el, but I don't think they are related.  If I'm wrong, I can post
them here, of course.

Best,

--
Marcin Borkowski
http://mbork.pl

* Re: Org agenda started behaving badly
@ 2018-06-11 19:06 ` Nick Dokos
From: Nick Dokos @ 2018-06-11 19:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

> Hi all,
>
> so out of nowhere my org agenda started behaving in a strange way.  It
> seems not to respect my TODO-keywords settings:
>
> (setq org-todo-keywords
>       '((sequence "TODO(t!)" "DONE(d!)")
> 	(sequence "SOMEDAY(s!)")
> 	(sequence "CANCELLED(c@)")
> 	(sequence "WAIT(w!)" "|")))
>
> i.e., it now shows all the "CANCELLED" items as if "CANCELLED" was not
> a todo keyword at all.  When I visit the offending file and issue M-x
> normal-mode, everything is back to normal again.

What does C-h v org-todo-keywords RET say when you see the problem? Is
it possible that there is a local variable shadowing the global setting?

--
Nick

"There are only two hard problems in computer science: cache
invalidation, naming things, and off-by-one errors." -Martin Fowler

* Re: Org agenda started behaving badly
@ 2018-06-15  4:23   ` Marcin Borkowski
From: Marcin Borkowski @ 2018-06-15  4:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nick Dokos; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On 2018-06-11, at 21:06, Nick Dokos <ndokos@gmail.com> wrote:

> Marcin Borkowski <mbork@mbork.pl> writes:
>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> so out of nowhere my org agenda started behaving in a strange way.  It
>> seems not to respect my TODO-keywords settings:
>>
>> (setq org-todo-keywords
>>       '((sequence "TODO(t!)" "DONE(d!)")
>> 	(sequence "SOMEDAY(s!)")
>> 	(sequence "CANCELLED(c@)")
>> 	(sequence "WAIT(w!)" "|")))
>>
>> i.e., it now shows all the "CANCELLED" items as if "CANCELLED" was not
>> a todo keyword at all.  When I visit the offending file and issue M-x
>> normal-mode, everything is back to normal again.
>
> What does C-h v org-todo-keywords RET say when you see the problem? Is
> it possible that there is a local variable shadowing the global setting?

Thanks, but I found the culprit.  I was visiting my Org files (in my
init.el, I have e.g. this: (org-agenda-prepare-buffers
(org-agenda-files))) _before_ setting org-todo-keywords...  Stupid
mistake, sorry for the noise.

Best,

--
Marcin Borkowski