* ob-core, org-outline-overlay-data error and byte-compile warning
@ 2019-03-04 12:44 zimoun
From: zimoun @ 2019-03-04 12:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Dear,

First of all, thank you for this awesome tool !!

I am a bit confused and I should have something twisted with my config
but I am not able to find what. If someone has an explanation...
Or maybe it is well-known.

Well, I am running Emacs from Guix and the version is:
   GNU Emacs 26.1 (build 1, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.24.0)
of 2018-11-14.

and it comes from Org 9.1:
   Org mode version 9.1.9 (release_9.1.9-65-g5e4542
   @ /gnu/stor/vsiqlxhj7lnydhhi85jc1pg0xzhcfdny-emacs-26.1/share/emacs/26.1/lisp/org/)

Because I prefer a more up-to-date version of Org, say 9.2, I have in
my init.el:

(add-to-list 'package-archives
         '("org" . "http://orgmode.org/elpa/"))
(package-initialize)
(use-package org
  :ensure org-plus-contrib)

Then the version 9.2 lives locally:
   Org mode version 9.2.2 (9.2.2-elpaplus
   @ /home/simon/.emacs.d/elpa/org-plus-contrib-20190304/)

The issue is when I evaluate `org-babel-execute-buffer', then it fails
with the error:
   Symbol’s function definition is void: org-outline-overlay-data

Hum? there is an incompatible change documented [1] in the Changes but
it should not interfere, right?
Well, if I find-grep in my ~/.emacs.d/ for `org-outline-overlay-data'
then nothing if found.
(and neither in the site-lisp/ from "system install")

So, I manually remove the byte-compiled file `ob-core.elc', and I
reload everything and now it works as expected. Hum?!
Then I again byte-compile the file `ob-core.el' with
   emacs -batch -f batch-byte-compile ob-core.el
then it warns:

In end of data:
ob-core.el:3149:1:Warning: the following functions are not known to be
    defined: org-remove-indentation, org-completing-read, org-trim,
    org-outline-overlay-data, org-set-outline-overlay-data, org-in-regexp,
    proper-list-p

and after reloaded everything, it fails with the message "Symbol [...]
void: org-outline-overlay-data".

I think I miss something about the byte-compiling stuff.
Now, I am using the `ob-core.el' file and not the byte-compiled one,
but I would like to understand what is wrong; if it is not a bug.

Thank you in advance for in pointer and/or insights.

All the best,
simon

[1] https://orgmode.org/Changes.html

* Re: ob-core, org-outline-overlay-data error and byte-compile warning
@ 2019-03-04 20:55 ` Tim Cross
From: Tim Cross @ 2019-03-04 20:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

I strongly suspect that part of your issue is that you have a 'mixed'
installation - part of 9.1 and part of 9.2 being rolled up together when
everything is compiled.

It is *CRITICAL* that no org functionality is loaded when you install
org from ELPA. For this reason, I only ever update the org package from
the org repo in a fresh Emacs session and ensure that nothing is loading
any org functionality until after all the elpa install stuff has
completed.

Make sure nothing directly or indirectly loads org in your init before
your package.el and elpa section. Remove the existing elpa/org or
org-plus-contrib directory and try again in a fresh emacs session.

Tim

--
Tim Cross

* Re: ob-core, org-outline-overlay-data error and byte-compile warning
@ 2019-03-08 16:18 ` zimoun
From: zimoun @ 2019-03-08 16:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Dear Tim Cross,

I am referring to this message:
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-orgmode/2019-03/msg00050.html
and because I did not subscribe to the mailing list, a- I miss your
reply and b- I am not able to directly answer to thread.

Well, thank you for your explanations.
I think the culprit of my configuration is Helm, for the very reason
you explained: it loads indirectly some Org, I guess.

Now, I still do not have a clean workaround but al least I know the reason. :-)

Thank you again.

All the best
simon

* Re: ob-core, org-outline-overlay-data error and byte-compile warning
@ 2019-03-08 18:25   ` Tim Cross
From: Tim Cross @ 2019-03-08 18:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

For me, the following works. I use the use-package ELPA package to
manage all my packages.

1. Setrup package.el stuff (like the org repo) at the very start of my
init.el
2. Load org-plus-contrib before any other package
3. Load other things (like helm, yasnippets, etc).

When I do a package upgrade, if the list of packages to be upgraded
includes org, restart emacs and then do the upgrade before doing
anything else (including opening any org files or agenda etc).

If things don't work well, delete the org-plus-contrib and re-start. As
I use use-package, it will automatically re-install org-plus-contrib for
me.

Tim

--
Tim Cross