* ordered list items start with letters?
@ 2010-03-22  3:20 Xiao-Yong Jin
From: Xiao-Yong Jin @ 2010-03-22  3:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi, is it possible to use a single letter to start an
ordered list item?  Such as

  a) first
  b) second?

Thanks
--
J    c/*    __o/*
X    <\     * (__

* Re: ordered list items start with letters?
@ 2010-03-22  7:08 ` David Maus
From: David Maus @ 2010-03-22  7:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Xiao-Yong Jin; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Xiao-Yong Jin wrote:
>Hi, is it possible to use a single letter to start an
>ordered list item?  Such as

>  a) first
>  b) second?

No, not yet.  Although sometimes I would like have single letter
lists.

The question would be:  What to do when we reach z)?

-- David
--
OpenPGP... 0x99ADB83B5A4478E6
Jabber.... dmjena@jabber.org

[-- Attachment #1.2: Type: application/pgp-signature, Size: 230 bytes --]

* Re: ordered list items start with letters?
@ 2010-03-22 13:23   ` Xiao-Yong Jin
From: Xiao-Yong Jin @ 2010-03-22 13:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Maus; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Mon, 22 Mar 2010 08:08:36 +0100, David Maus wrote:

> Xiao-Yong Jin wrote:
>> Hi, is it possible to use a single letter to start an
>> ordered list item?  Such as

>> a) first
>> b) second?

> No, not yet.  Although sometimes I would like have single letter
> lists.

> The question would be:  What to do when we reach z)?

Simply print out a message saying we have reached maximum
number of items possible?  I guess usually we don't need to
count to 'z' for such kind of lists.
--

@ 2010-03-22 16:54     ` Thomas S. Dye
From: Thomas S. Dye @ 2010-03-22 16:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Xiao-Yong Jin; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Mar 22, 2010, at 3:23 AM, Xiao-Yong Jin wrote:

> On Mon, 22 Mar 2010 08:08:36 +0100, David Maus wrote:
>
>> Xiao-Yong Jin wrote:
>>> Hi, is it possible to use a single letter to start an
>>> ordered list item?  Such as
>
>>> a) first
>>> b) second?
>
>> No, not yet.  Although sometimes I would like have single letter
>> lists.
>
>> The question would be:  What to do when we reach z)?
>
> Simply print out a message saying we have reached maximum
> number of items possible?  I guess usually we don't need to
> count to 'z' for such kind of lists.
> --
> J    c/*    __o/*
> X    <\     * (__
> Y    */\      <

Aloha all,

Here is an error message raised with a 27 item list in LaTeX:

ERROR: LaTeX Error: Counter too large.

--- TeX said ---

Type  H <return>  for immediate help.

l.31 \item ?

--- HELP ---
1. Some object that is numbered with letters, probably an item in a
enumerated list, has received a number greater than 26. Either you're
making a very long list or you've been resetting counter values.

2. Footnotes are being ``numbered'' with letters or footnote symbols
and LaTeX has run out of letters or symbols. This is probably caused
by too many \thanks commands.

All the best,
Tom

* Re: ordered list items start with letters?
@ 2010-03-22 21:29       ` David Maus
From: David Maus @ 2010-03-22 21:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thomas S. Dye; +Cc: emacs-orgmode