* publishing to PDF
@ 2010-08-30 10:15 Erwin Panen
From: Erwin Panen @ 2010-08-30 10:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi everyone,

Trying to make my first steps in publishing.
I'm working on Mac, using Emacs 23.2.1 with Org-mode version 6.36trans.

I seem to have various LaTeX stuff installed on my MacBook. I have to
admit that I have no experience with LaTeX whatsoever. (TeXShop,
LaTeXit, TeXWorks) So I'm not sure if my configuration if any is correct
in this view.

When I issue:
C-c C-e p
I get following message:
-------------------------
For information about GNU Emacs and the GNU system, type C-h C-a.
OVERVIEW
CHILDREN
SUBTREE
Select command:
Exporting to PDF...
Exporting to LaTeX...
Saving file /Users/erwin/git/org/Erhard.tex...
Wrote /Users/erwin/git/org/Erhard.tex
Saving file /Users/erwin/git/org/Erhard.tex...
Wrote /Users/erwin/git/org/Erhard.tex
LaTeX export done, pushed to kill ring and clipboard
Processing LaTeX file...
(Shell command failed with code 127 and some error output) [2 times]
Processing LaTeX file...done
org-export-as-pdf: PDF file was not produced
------------------------

What am I doing wrong here?

Thanks for helping out!

Erwin

* Re: publishing to PDF
@ 2010-08-30 11:18 ` Russell Adams
From: Russell Adams @ 2010-08-30 11:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

On Mon, Aug 30, 2010 at 12:15:52PM +0200, Erwin Panen wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> (Shell command failed with code 127 and some error output) [2 times]
> Processing LaTeX file...done
> org-export-as-pdf: PDF file was not produced

You may not be doing anything wrong. Is there a buffer which contains
the error output?

If not, try running 'pdflatex yourorgfile.tex' in the directory with
your Org file. By default, a file named .tex is written there by the
export.

You should be able to debug it further with that output.

Good luck! (FYI, ask on IRC too)

* Re: publishing to PDF
@ 2010-08-30 12:38 ` Sebastian Rose
From: Sebastian Rose @ 2010-08-30 12:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Erwin Panen; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Erwin Panen <erwinpanen@fastmail.fm> writes:
> Hi everyone,
>
> Trying to make my first steps in publishing.
> I'm working on Mac, using Emacs 23.2.1 with Org-mode version 6.36trans.
>
> I seem to have various LaTeX stuff installed on my MacBook. I have to admit that
> I have no experience with LaTeX whatsoever. (TeXShop, LaTeXit, TeXWorks) So I'm
> not sure if my configuration if any is correct in this view.
>
> When I issue:
> C-c C-e p
> I get following message:
> -------------------------
> For information about GNU Emacs and the GNU system, type C-h C-a.
> OVERVIEW
> CHILDREN
> SUBTREE
> Select command:
> Exporting to PDF...
> Exporting to LaTeX...
> Saving file /Users/erwin/git/org/Erhard.tex...
> Wrote /Users/erwin/git/org/Erhard.tex
> Saving file /Users/erwin/git/org/Erhard.tex...
> Wrote /Users/erwin/git/org/Erhard.tex
> LaTeX export done, pushed to kill ring and clipboard
> Processing LaTeX file...
> (Shell command failed with code 127 and some error output) [2 times]
> Processing LaTeX file...done
> org-export-as-pdf: PDF file was not produced
> ------------------------

Hi Erwin,

not sure about MAC, but for most UNIX shells (i think), a return value
of 127 means "command not found".  It seems some LaTeX packages are
missing.

Most of us use the TexLive distribution, a collection of the most
commonly used LaTeX packages and binaries.

Are you able to execute the command `pdflatex' in a console?

  Sebastian

* Re: publishing to PDF
@ 2010-08-30 12:41   ` Erwin Panen
From: Erwin Panen @ 2010-08-30 12:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sebastian Rose; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

  Hi Sebastian,

Thanks for your very fast reply :-)
Yes, I can issue 'pdflatex' from a console:
-------------------------------------
macbook:~ erwin$ pdflatex
This is pdfTeX, Version 3.1415926-1.40.10 (TeX Live 2009)
**
-------------------------------------

I assume it must be a matter of config?

Erwin

On 30/08/10 14:38, Sebastian Rose wrote:
> Erwin Panen<erwinpanen@fastmail.fm>  writes:
>> Hi everyone,
>>
>> Trying to make my first steps in publishing.
>> I'm working on Mac, using Emacs 23.2.1 with Org-mode version 6.36trans.
>>
>> I seem to have various LaTeX stuff installed on my MacBook. I have to admit that
>> I have no experience with LaTeX whatsoever. (TeXShop, LaTeXit, TeXWorks) So I'm
>> not sure if my configuration if any is correct in this view.
>>
>> When I issue:
>> C-c C-e p
>> I get following message:
>> -------------------------
>> For information about GNU Emacs and the GNU system, type C-h C-a.
>> OVERVIEW
>> CHILDREN
>> SUBTREE
>> Select command:
>> Exporting to PDF...
>> Exporting to LaTeX...
>> Saving file /Users/erwin/git/org/Erhard.tex...
>> Wrote /Users/erwin/git/org/Erhard.tex
>> Saving file /Users/erwin/git/org/Erhard.tex...
>> Wrote /Users/erwin/git/org/Erhard.tex
>> LaTeX export done, pushed to kill ring and clipboard
>> Processing LaTeX file...
>> (Shell command failed with code 127 and some error output) [2 times]
>> Processing LaTeX file...done
>> org-export-as-pdf: PDF file was not produced
>> ------------------------
>
> Hi Erwin,
>

> not sure about MAC, but for most UNIX shells (i think), a return value
> of 127 means "command not found".  It seems some LaTeX packages are
> missing.
>
> Most of us use the TexLive distribution, a collection of the most
> commonly used LaTeX packages and binaries.
>
> Are you able to execute the command `pdflatex' in a console?
>

>    Sebastian

* Re: publishing to PDF
@ 2010-08-30 16:05     ` Thomas S. Dye
From: Thomas S. Dye @ 2010-08-30 16:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: erwinpanen; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi Erwin,

Does Emacs know the path to your LaTeX executables?

I have these lines in .emacs (don't know why I have both and not sure
now if one or both are needed):

     (setenv "PATH" (concat (getenv "PATH") ":/usr/texbin"))
     (setq exec-path (append exec-path '("/usr/texbin")))

hth,
Tom

On Aug 30, 2010, at 2:41 AM, Erwin Panen wrote:

> Hi Sebastian,
>
> Thanks for your very fast reply :-)
> Yes, I can issue 'pdflatex' from a console:
> -------------------------------------
> macbook:~ erwin$ pdflatex
> This is pdfTeX, Version 3.1415926-1.40.10 (TeX Live 2009)
> **
> -------------------------------------
>
> I assume it must be a matter of config?
>
> Erwin
>
> On 30/08/10 14:38, Sebastian Rose wrote:
>> Erwin Panen<erwinpanen@fastmail.fm>  writes:
>>> Hi everyone,
>>>
>>> Trying to make my first steps in publishing.
>>> I'm working on Mac, using Emacs 23.2.1 with Org-mode version
>>> 6.36trans.
>>>
>>> I seem to have various LaTeX stuff installed on my MacBook. I have
>>> to admit that
>>> I have no experience with LaTeX whatsoever. (TeXShop, LaTeXit,
>>> TeXWorks) So I'm
>>> not sure if my configuration if any is correct in this view.
>>>
>>> When I issue:
>>> C-c C-e p
>>> I get following message:
>>> -------------------------
>>> For information about GNU Emacs and the GNU system, type C-h C-a.
>>> OVERVIEW
>>> CHILDREN
>>> SUBTREE
>>> Select command:
>>> Exporting to PDF...
>>> Exporting to LaTeX...
>>> Saving file /Users/erwin/git/org/Erhard.tex...
>>> Wrote /Users/erwin/git/org/Erhard.tex
>>> Saving file /Users/erwin/git/org/Erhard.tex...
>>> Wrote /Users/erwin/git/org/Erhard.tex
>>> LaTeX export done, pushed to kill ring and clipboard
>>> Processing LaTeX file...
>>> (Shell command failed with code 127 and some error output) [2 times]
>>> Processing LaTeX file...done
>>> org-export-as-pdf: PDF file was not produced
>>> ------------------------
>>
>> Hi Erwin,
>>

>> not sure about MAC, but for most UNIX shells (i think), a return
>> value
>> of 127 means "command not found".  It seems some LaTeX packages are
>> missing.
>>
>> Most of us use the TexLive distribution, a collection of the most
>> commonly used LaTeX packages and binaries.
>>
>> Are you able to execute the command `pdflatex' in a console?
>>

>>   Sebastian

* Re: publishing to PDF
@ 2010-08-30 17:37     ` Achim Gratz
From: Achim Gratz @ 2010-08-30 17:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Erwin Panen <erwinpanen@fastmail.fm> writes:

> macbook:~ erwin$ pdflatex
> This is pdfTeX, Version 3.1415926-1.40.10 (TeX Live 2009)
>
> I assume it must be a matter of config?

I think you need to let Emacs know that you want to run pdflatex.  this
can be done in various ways.  In current AucTeX you switch between PDF
and DVI output by C-c C-t C-p for instance, in older versions you needed
to enter a whole bunch of command strings to do the same thing.

Achim.