* A python module for orgmode files
       [not found] <4d06530d.883edc0a.0ab2.fffff5f6SMTPIN_ADDED@mx.google.com>
@ 2010-12-13 23:31 ` Jonathan BISSON
                     ` (2 more replies)
From: Jonathan BISSON @ 2010-12-13 23:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi all,

A new project : A python module for orgmode files

https://github.com/bjonnh/PyOrgMode

Hope someone would find this useful/helpful.

You can also contribute as much as you wish/can ;)

The code is not really clean (I'm working on docstrings and cleaning-up)
but should be usable. Please send the diff between your test file and
the output (the included file test.org gives identical results, but it's
not always the case) using the test.py test script.

This module works with Python 3.1 and 2.7.

Cheers

* Re: A python module for orgmode files
@ 2010-12-13 23:57   ` Jeff Horn
From: Jeff Horn @ 2010-12-13 23:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jonathan BISSON; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Thanks for sharing! I'm just learning Python, but grok org-mode well
enough to use it everyday. I'll take a look and contribute if I can!

Jeff

On Mon, Dec 13, 2010 at 6:31 PM, Jonathan BISSON
<bissonjonathan@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> A new project : A python module for orgmode files
>
> https://github.com/bjonnh/PyOrgMode
>
> Hope someone would find this useful/helpful.
>
> You can also contribute as much as you wish/can ;)
>
> The code is not really clean (I'm working on docstrings and cleaning-up) but
> should be usable. Please send the diff between your test file and the output
> (the included file test.org gives identical results, but it's not always the
> case) using the test.py test script.
>
> This module works with Python 3.1 and 2.7.
>

> Cheers

Jeffrey Horn
Graduate Lecturer and PhD Student in Economics
George Mason University

(704) 271-4797
jhorn@gmu.edu
jrhorn424@gmail.com

http://www.failuretorefrain.com/jeff/

* Re: A python module for orgmode files
@ 2010-12-14  0:03     ` Chris Malone
From: Chris Malone @ 2010-12-14  0:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jeff Horn; +Cc: emacs-orgmode, Jonathan BISSON

I guess the real question is: did you write the org-mode-parsing Python code
using org-mode? ;-)

Looks promising, and I'll see if there is anything I can contribute,
although I am currently more familiar with Python than org-mode.

Chris

@ 2010-12-14  0:23         ` Jeff Horn
From: Jeff Horn @ 2010-12-14  0:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jonathan BISSON; +Cc: Chris Malone, emacs-orgmode

On Mon, Dec 13, 2010 at 7:24 PM, Jonathan BISSON
<bissonjonathan@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 12/14/2010 01:03 AM, Chris Malone wrote:
>> I guess the real question is: did you write the org-mode-parsing Python
>> code using org-mode? ;-)
>
> No but I was thinking that would be nice to fold classes and get TODO items
> (and even scheduled ones)
> Maybe using # as a "star". I don't know if it it possible to couple
> python-mode to org-mode

I think what Chris was referring to is the fact that you can write
literate programs using org-mode and org-babel. You can mix
documentation and code, and then run some nifty functions that
separate them out. The advantage, of course, is that your source is
self-documenting.

I suppose most people comment their code when they open-source a
project, but I also suspect their are some real advantages to
organizing your source code using org-mode's hierachies.

--

@ 2010-12-14  0:24       ` Jonathan BISSON
From: Jonathan BISSON @ 2010-12-14  0:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Chris Malone; +Cc: Jeff Horn, emacs-orgmode

On 12/14/2010 01:03 AM, Chris Malone wrote:
 > I guess the real question is: did you write the org-mode-parsing Python
 > code using org-mode? ;-)

No but I was thinking that would be nice to fold classes and get TODO
items (and even scheduled ones)
Maybe using # as a "star". I don't know if it it possible to couple
python-mode to org-mode

 > Looks promising, and I'll see if there is anything I can contribute,
 > although I am currently more familiar with Python than org-mode.

Thanks Jeff and Chris, I would be happy to see what can be done with this.

(I'm trying to follow the http://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-0008/
Python Style Guide for the code to be clean and understandable)

J.

* Re: A python module for orgmode files
@ 2010-12-14  6:42   ` Charles Cave
From: Charles Cave @ 2010-12-14  6:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Jonathan BISSON <bissonjonathan <at> gmail.com> writes:

> Hi all,
>
> A new project : A python module for orgmode files
>
> https://github.com/bjonnh/PyOrgMode

I wrote a Python Orgnode module at least a year ago.
Have a look at this and feel free to adapt what you find
of interest.  My module is designed to read an orgmode
file into a list of Orgnode objects.

http://members.optusnet.com.au/~charles57/GTD/orgnode.html

Charles

* Re: A python module for orgmode files
@ 2010-12-14 13:22     ` Jonathan BISSON
From: Jonathan BISSON @ 2010-12-14 13:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Charles Cave <charles.cave <at> gmail.com> writes:

> I wrote a Python Orgnode module at least a year ago.
> Have a look at this and feel free to adapt what you find
> of interest.  My module is designed to read an orgmode
> file into a list of Orgnode objects.
>
> http://members.optusnet.com.au/~charles57/GTD/orgnode.html

Yes I have seen this project, but the way it was done doesn't suit what I am
looking for (totally object interface, possibility to add any kind of objects
type in Nodes, writing files). I made my module first for being able to write
org-mode files and it grows larger.

I hope we could find a way to get the best of each others solutions !

Feel free to tell me what you are using your module for to see how it could be
interfaced with my module (and which things need to be added).

* Re: A python module for orgmode files
@ 2010-12-14 13:34           ` Jonathan BISSON
From: Jonathan BISSON @ 2010-12-14 13:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Jeff Horn <jrhorn424 <at> gmail.com> writes:

> I think what Chris was referring to is the fact that you can write
> literate programs using org-mode and org-babel. You can mix
> documentation and code, and then run some nifty functions that
> separate them out. The advantage, of course, is that your source is
> self-documenting.

Yes, but an org file with babel is not python native. So I needed for one
of my projects an orgmode translator that is totally python native.
org-babel is nice for orgfiles doing computations but not for software
development.
> I suppose most people comment their code when they open-source a
> project, but I also suspect their are some real advantages to
> organizing your source code using org-mode's hierachies.
Yes, but I'm looking for a way to use org-mode kind of treating with
text files
but with a native python file.
I need to look at this :
http://tinyurl.com/2v26rsr

* Re: Re: A python module for orgmode files
@ 2010-12-14 13:47             ` Rainer M Krug
From: Rainer M Krug @ 2010-12-14 13:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jonathan BISSON; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On 12/14/2010 02:34 PM, Jonathan BISSON wrote:
> Jeff Horn <jrhorn424 <at> gmail.com> writes:
>
>> I think what Chris was referring to is the fact that you can write
>> literate programs using org-mode and org-babel. You can mix
>> documentation and code, and then run some nifty functions that
>> separate them out. The advantage, of course, is that your source is
>> self-documenting.
>>
> Yes, but an org file with babel is not python native. So I needed for one
> of my projects an orgmode translator that is totally python native.
> org-babel is nice for orgfiles doing computations but not for software
> development.

What about tangling? When you tangle your org file, you get a source
file for that language.

Rainer

>> I suppose most people comment their code when they open-source a
>> project, but I also suspect their are some real advantages to
>> organizing your source code using org-mode's hierachies.
> Yes, but I'm looking for a way to use org-mode kind of treating with
> text files
> but with a native python file.
> I need to look at this :
> http://tinyurl.com/2v26rsr

- --
Biology, UCT), Dipl. Phys. (Germany)

Natural Sciences Building
Office Suite 2039
Stellenbosch University
Main Campus, Merriman Avenue
Stellenbosch
South Africa

Tel:        +33 - (0)9 53 10 27 44
Cell:       +27 - (0)8 39 47 90 42
Fax (SA):   +27 - (0)8 65 16 27 82
Fax (D) :   +49 - (0)3 21 21 25 22 44
Fax (FR):   +33 - (0)9 58 10 27 44
email:      Rainer@krugs.de

Skype:      RMkrug

* Re: Re: Re: A python module for orgmode files
@ 2010-12-14 14:15               ` chris.m.malone
From: chris.m.malone @ 2010-12-14 14:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rainer M Krug; +Cc: emacs-orgmode, Jonathan BISSON

On Dec 14, 2010 8:47am, Rainer M Krug <rmkrug@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 12/14/2010 02:34 PM, Jonathan BISSON wrote:

> > Jeff Horn gmail.com> writes:

> >> I think what Chris was referring to is the fact that you can write

> >> literate programs using org-mode and org-babel. You can mix

> >> documentation and code, and then run some nifty functions that

> >> separate them out. The advantage, of course, is that your source is

> >> self-documenting.

> > Yes, but an org file with babel is not python native. So I needed for
> one

> > of my projects an orgmode translator that is totally python native.

> > org-babel is nice for orgfiles doing computations but not for software

> > development.

> What about tangling? When you tangle your org file, you get a source

> file for that language.

Tangling is what I had in mind for my comment. It seems like an easy way to
have literate programming...

Chris

* Re: Re: A python module for orgmode files
@ 2010-12-14 15:46                 ` Jonathan BISSON
From: Jonathan BISSON @ 2010-12-14 15:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: chris.m.malone; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On 12/14/2010 03:15 PM, chris.m.malone@gmail.com wrote:
>> > Jeff Horn gmail.com> writes:
>
>> What about tangling? When you tangle your org file, you get a source
>
>> file for that language.
>

> Tangling is what I had in mind for my comment. It seems like an easy way
> to have literate programming...
>
> Chris

Wonderful, exactly what I was looking for !

So now, we can work with this org file :
https://github.com/bjonnh/PyOrgMode/raw/master/PyOrgMode.org

Need to work on HTML and LaTeX export also.

But it tangles correctly.

* Re: A python module for orgmode files
@ 2011-02-03 14:00   ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2011-02-03 14:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jonathan BISSON; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi Jonathan,

Jonathan BISSON <bissonjonathan@gmail.com> writes:

> A new project : A python module for orgmode files
>
> https://github.com/bjonnh/PyOrgMode
>
> Hope someone would find this useful/helpful.
>
> You can also contribute as much as you wish/can ;)
>
> The code is not really clean (I'm working on docstrings and cleaning-up)
> but should be usable. Please send the diff between your test file and the
> output (the included file test.org gives identical results, but it's not
> always the case) using the test.py test script.
>
> This module works with Python 3.1 and 2.7.

Can you provide a patch to Worg/org-tools/index.org about this python
module?  Centralizing third-part tools in such a place will probably
help ideas cross-fertilization!

 Bastien