* lists in tables
@ 2011-06-09 18:15 Uwe Brauer
From: Uwe Brauer @ 2011-06-09 18:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hello

Maybe I did look carefully enough into the manual, but it
seems that lists are not supported insides tables. Is this
correct? Are there any plans to support it?

thanks

Uwe Brauer

* Re: lists in tables
@ 2011-06-09 18:44 ` Nicolas Goaziou
From: Nicolas Goaziou @ 2011-06-09 18:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Uwe Brauer; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hello,

Uwe Brauer <oub@mat.ucm.es> writes:

> Maybe I did look carefully enough into the manual, but it
> seems that lists are not supported insides tables. Is this
> correct?

Yes. I don't know well the table code, but there are a few limitations
involved. For example, lists are recognized by a pattern in which the
bullet is the first non-whitespace element of the line. Also, there is
no official support for multi-lines cells in tables.

> Are there any plans to support it?

None that I know of.

Nicolas Goaziou

* Re: lists in tables
@ 2011-06-09 19:44   ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2011-06-09 19:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nicolas Goaziou; +Cc: Uwe Brauer, emacs-orgmode

On 9.6.2011, at 20:44, Nicolas Goaziou wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Uwe Brauer <oub@mat.ucm.es> writes:
>
>> Maybe I did look carefully enough into the manual, but it
>> seems that lists are not supported insides tables. Is this
>> correct?
>
> Yes. I don't know well the table code, but there are a few limitations
> involved. For example, lists are recognized by a pattern in which the
> bullet is the first non-whitespace element of the line. Also, there is
> no official support for multi-lines cells in tables.
>
>> Are there any plans to support it?
>
> None that I know of.

What does that even mean, lists in tables???  Org-mode tables are single
line per row, so I would not even know how to define a list in a table.

- Carsten

* Re: lists in tables
@ 2011-06-09 20:27     ` Uwe Brauer
From: Uwe Brauer @ 2011-06-09 20:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carsten Dominik; +Cc: emacs-orgmode, Nicolas Goaziou

>> Regarding Re: [O] lists in tables; Carsten Dominik <carsten.dominik@gmail.com> adds:

   > On 9.6.2011, at 20:44, Nicolas Goaziou wrote:

>> Are there any plans to support it?
   >>
   >> None that I know of.

   > What does that even mean, lists in tables???

Well like a Word Processor like OO does it.

   > Org-mode tables are single
   > line per row, so I would not even know how to define a list in a table.

Well since I saw that org-table is able to wrap text in
cells, I thought somehow could use rectangle but that seems
to be the case. And there is now easy way to allow more than
one line per row? Then one could use org-table-edit-field......

* Re: lists in tables
@ 2011-06-10 17:17       ` Michael Brand
From: Michael Brand @ 2011-06-10 17:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Uwe Brauer; +Cc: Nicolas Goaziou, emacs-orgmode, Carsten Dominik

Hi Uwe

On Thu, Jun 9, 2011 at 22:27, Uwe Brauer <oub@mat.ucm.es> wrote:
> And there is now easy way to allow more than one line per row?

No, there is no easy way.

The question is, what should be a row delimiter in a table. The answer
for an Org table is, each newline is also the end of the table row. Of
course it would be neat to enhance the Org table format with ... why
not the broken pipe "¦" to continue a multiline field
|------------+--------------------|
| field @1$1 | field @1$2         |
| field @2$1 | field @2$2         |
¦            ¦ automatically      ¦
¦            ¦ wraps over 3 lines ¦
| field @3$1 | field @3$2         |
|------------+--------------------|
|            | <18>               |
|------------+--------------------|
but this would mean a tremendous effort
- in extending the user interface (not the only question: in the same
  table you want some fields to wrap and some to truncate, right?
  (just kidding))
- in implementation
- in keeping all this consistent again

BTW the function org-table-wrap-region does "only" spread the contents
of _several table rows_ into again _several table rows_. Even that
function can not change that still one text line is one table row.

When I take notes only for myself I write sometimes
|----------------------+------------------------------------|
| my_field_1_1 in @1$1 | my_field_1_2 in @1$2               |
| my_field_2_1 in @2$1 | my_field_2_2 pretends to wrap over |
|                      | \ three lines but is just 3 fields |
|                      | \ @2$2..@4$2 with one line each    |
| my_field_3_1 in @5$1 | my_field_3_2 in @5$2               |
|----------------------+------------------------------------|
with the help of the function org-table-wrap-region and manually
readjust "\". But most of the useful things except e. g. auto
alignment of the table frames can not be used: S-<up>/S-<down>, export
of the table or spreadsheet and much more.

Look also here for more and how other people work around:
http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.orgmode/37756
http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.orgmode/31402/focus=31443
http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.orgmode/14630

Michael

* Can you clock two tasks at once?
@ 2011-06-10 18:39         ` Mark S.
From: Mark S. @ 2011-06-10 18:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi all,

Is there a way to clock two tasks at once?

I'm multitasking ;-)

Actually, sometimes a sub-part of task will have additional costs. Or you need to capture what part of your day is spent on the phone. Or you have someone else working for you. Lots of reasons to have a second clock running.

Mark

* Re: Can you clock two tasks at once?
@ 2011-06-10 19:57           ` Bernt Hansen
From: Bernt Hansen @ 2011-06-10 19:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mark S.; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

"Mark S." <throaway@yahoo.com> writes:

> Hi all,
>
> Is there a way to clock two tasks at once?
>
> I'm multitasking ;-)
>
> Actually, sometimes a sub-part of task will have additional costs. Or
> you need to capture what part of your day is spent on the phone. Or
> you have someone else working for you. Lots of reasons to have a
> second clock running.
>
> Mark

No, you can only clock one thing at a time.  Nothings stops you from
creating a tree for your clocked project where some clocked phone
subtasks are under the tree so the time is appropriately allocated.

Clocking is set up for a single user currently.

--
Bernt

* Re: lists in tables
@ 2011-06-30 16:08         ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2011-06-30 16:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michael Brand; +Cc: Uwe Brauer, emacs-orgmode, Nicolas Goaziou, Carsten Dominik

I don't know what would be worst: trying to put lists in tables or
tables in lists.  And I don't know if each of these would be worst
wrt style _or_ wrt logic.

But I'm happy to see people continues to expect pure MAGIC from Org :)

--
 Bastien