* Contacts/Resources/People
@ 2014-04-30 16:28 Sungmin
From: Sungmin @ 2014-04-30 16:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

I have been using orgmode for the last couple of months, guided by Sasha
Chua's blog, and the material I have found on internet.
Now I am started to be satisfied with my setup. But I there is one thing I
would like to improve.

I would like to have people as first class citizens.

I want to easily add people to the appointment.
I want to be able to add people to tasks easily.
I want to track with whom I spend time with.
i want to be able to add people to meeting logs, with professional titles
easily, and other selected contact information easily
I want to be able to mange the contact data centrally,so if I add a person to
a task/appoinment I can easily get to his contact information.
I want to easily look up what I have ongoing with a specific person before I
meet him to remind me if there is anything I should bring up to him.

Sacha speaks about BBDB but it does not not really seem to do what I want.
Julien Danjou have made contacts.el, might to be a better fit.

Does anyone have this kind of setup?
Or good pointers in how to set it up? I would be interested in learning Elisp
if necessary to implement this.

Thank you in advance

Sungmin

* Re: Contacts/Resources/People
@ 2014-04-30 17:55 ` Alexander Baier
From: Alexander Baier @ 2014-04-30 17:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sungmin; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On 2014-04-30 18:28 Sungmin wrote:
> Julien Danjou have made contacts.el, might to be a better fit.

If you are referring to org-contacts than this might just be your
solution. Or at least the best way possible to integrate your contacts
with other org-related things.

With org-contacts your address book is just a plain old org-mode
formatted file, where headlines with a certain property (the default is
EMAIL I think) are treated as contacts. For example:

#+begin_src org
* Person A
  :PROPERTIES:
  :EMAIL: a@example.com
  :END:
** Notes Meeting
- foo
- bar...

* Person B
  :PROPERTIES:
  :EMAIL: b@example.com
  :END:
#+end_src

As you can see, notes are easily added as you are just editing your
plain old org-file. Adding people to a certain event may just be as
simple as linking to the headline corresponding to the person. About
tracking time, there should be functionality for this built in - I am no
expert there.

HTH,
--
Alexander Baier

* Re: Contacts/Resources/People
@ 2014-04-30 18:17 Shin Sungmin
From: Shin Sungmin @ 2014-04-30 18:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alexander Baier; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

* Re: Contacts/Resources/People
@ 2014-05-01 11:51 ` Alexander Baier
From: Alexander Baier @ 2014-05-01 11:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Shin Sungmin; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hello Shin,

On 2014-04-30 20:17 Shin Sungmin wrote:
> But, how does it make it easier to assign a person to a task in my
> todo.org? Is there any type of auto complete functionality?

You have the function org-contacts which helps you search through your
contacts. From there you can quickly jump to the contact you want to
link, store a link to that heading `org-store-link' and insert that link
in your todo.org with `C-c C-l' and then `M-p'.

> Do I have to make a manual link to the people.org file instance to be
> able to easily access that persons contact information?

In essence this is just a plain old manual org link to the right
headline in person.org. The procedure described above is not very
automatic.

You may want to take a look at helm. Its a completion and narrowing
framework, something a bit like ido, but way more powerful. There is a
plugin for helm that lets you search/complete/narrow over the headline
of an org-file. It might even offer to execute certain actions on said
headlines such as creating and inserting a link to them.

I just heard of said plugin, but never used it. If it does indeed have
described functionality it would make linking to a contact as simple as
pressing a key binding (launching helm on people.org) typing a few
characters to narrow to the contact you want to insert and press enter
to insert said link.

HTH,
--
Alexander Baier

* Re: Contacts/Resources/People
@ 2014-05-01 19:30 ` Charles Millar
From: Charles Millar @ 2014-05-01 19:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

A discussion about contacts, etc. from a couple of years ago might be
useful.

http://comments.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.orgmode/57972

Charlie Millar

* Re: Contacts/Resources/People
@ 2014-05-02  6:05 ` Eric Abrahamsen
From: Eric Abrahamsen @ 2014-05-02  6:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Sungmin <sungsongsang@daum.net> writes:

> I have been using orgmode for the last couple of months, guided by Sasha
> Chua's blog, and the material I have found on internet.
> Now I am started to be satisfied with my setup. But I there is one thing I
> would like to improve.
>
> I would like to have people as first class citizens.
>
> I want to easily add people to the appointment.
> I want to be able to add people to tasks easily.
> I want to track with whom I spend time with.
> i want to be able to add people to meeting logs, with professional titles
> easily, and other selected contact information easily
> I want to be able to mange the contact data centrally,so if I add a person to
> a task/appoinment I can easily get to his contact information.
> I want to easily look up what I have ongoing with a specific person before I
> meet him to remind me if there is anything I should bring up to him.
>
> Sacha speaks about BBDB but it does not not really seem to do what I want.
> Julien Danjou have made contacts.el, might to be a better fit.

I'd still recommend taking a closer look at BBDB -- make sure you get
version 3. Integration with Org is pretty good: you can add links to
BBDB contacts, with completion.

I'm knocking the last rough edges of a small package designed to bridge
some of the air-gaps between Org, Gnus, and BBDB -- I'll have a usable
version done Real Soon Now. Relevant to your use-case, it allows tagging
BBDB contacts with Org-type tags, so you can 1) open an Org agenda from
the tags of the displayed BBDB contacts; 2) do the inverse of that: pop
up a BBDB buffer corresponding to the tags search of the Org agenda; or
3) pop up a BBDB buffer showing all the records linked to from the
current heading.

A little glue goes a long way...