* Export backends are loaded after code block evaluation
@ 2014-11-23 15:57 Vicente Vera
From: Vicente Vera @ 2014-11-23 15:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Org-mode version 8.3beta (release_8.3beta-584-g3953cb @
/usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp/org/)
GNU Emacs 25.0.50.1 (i686-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.14.4) of 2014-11-17

Hello. Just noticed that after evaluating a code block with C-c C-c
(org-babel-execute-src-block?) all export backends stored in
'org-export-backends' are loaded---or 'required'---automatically. Once
I commented out my 'org-export-backends' setup those backends weren't
loaded, but the default ones did (ascii html icalendar latex).

Is this the intended behavior? Tried to grep my way through Org's
source files looking for a clue with no success.

Also, is there a way to prevent this from happening? It doesn't seem
extremely necessary to me.

* Re: Export backends are loaded after code block evaluation
@ 2014-11-23 16:36 ` Nicolas Goaziou
From: Nicolas Goaziou @ 2014-11-23 16:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Vicente Vera; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hello,

Vicente Vera <vicentemvp@gmail.com> writes:

> Hello. Just noticed that after evaluating a code block with C-c C-c
> (org-babel-execute-src-block?) all export backends stored in
> 'org-export-backends' are loaded---or 'required'---automatically. Once
> I commented out my 'org-export-backends' setup those backends weren't
> loaded, but the default ones did (ascii html icalendar latex).
>
> Is this the intended behavior?

`org-babel-execute-src-block' probably requires "ox.el" or some
back-end, triggering. Back-ends are loaded as soon as "ox.el" is
required.

> Tried to grep my way through Org's source files looking for a clue
> with no success.
>
> Also, is there a way to prevent this from happening? It doesn't seem
> extremely necessary to me.

It doesn't really hurt either.

Nicolas Goaziou

* Re: Export backends are loaded after code block evaluation
@ 2014-11-24 18:45   ` Vicente Vera
From: Vicente Vera @ 2014-11-24 18:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Vicente Vera, emacs-orgmode

Nope, no harm has been done. Still curious about it though. IMO,
there's no reference to 'ox.el' in the babel source files so I don't
understand how is this possible.

@ 2014-11-24 19:42     ` Nicolas Goaziou
From: Nicolas Goaziou @ 2014-11-24 19:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Vicente Vera; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Vicente Vera <vicentemvp@gmail.com> writes:

> Nope, no harm has been done. Still curious about it though. IMO,
> there's no reference to 'ox.el' in the babel source files so I don't
> understand how is this possible.

See line 848 in "org.el" (master branch, if it matters).

Basically, Babel requires an export backend ("ox-latex.el", likely),
which, in turn requires "ox.el". The snippet above does the rest.

* Re: Export backends are loaded after code block evaluation
@ 2014-11-25  0:30       ` Vicente Vera
From: Vicente Vera @ 2014-11-25  0:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Vicente Vera, emacs-orgmode

Ok, finally sorted it out.
Babel doesn't load ox-* files by itself (except for ob-haskell &
ob-latex). But, in my case, the code block's result is a table. In
consequence Org needs org-table which in turn requires some ox- files
and THEN org.el evaluates (after ox.el) 'org-export-backends'.
Thank you for your patience. Now I can sleep soundly.