* Yet another way to use maps --- the light way
@ 2010-09-23  8:17 Sebastian Rose
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Sebastian Rose @ 2010-09-23  8:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

there is a light and easy way to use google and openstreetmap.org maps
if you define them as a custom link type:

(setq org-link-abbrev-alist
  '(("gmap"
     . "http://maps.google.com/maps?q=%s")
    ("omap"
      . "http://nominatim.openstreetmap.org/search?q=%s&polygon=1")))

Now
  [[gmap:Falkenstr 10, Hannover, Germany][Falkenstraße]]

and
  [[omap:Falkenstr 10, Hannover, Germany]]

show a map in your browser.  LaTeX and HTML export works out the box
with the advantage, that this export can legally be published on the
internet without any additional action (API license key).  Even on
commercial sites, as it's just a link to google.  OSM is no problem
anyway.

This way it's possible to show a certain place on earth, but not a track
or route.

There's a (known) bug in the LaTeX eporter:

        [[Falkenstraße 10, Hannover, Germany]]

will _not_ work, because the german Umlaut will be distorted somehow
(unless fixed already....)

  Sebastian

* Re: Yet another way to use maps --- the light way
@ 2010-09-23 12:14 ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2010-09-23 12:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sep 23, 2010, at 10:17 AM, Sebastian Rose wrote:

> Hi,
>

> there is a light and easy way to use google and openstreetmap.org maps
> if you define them as a custom link type:
>

> (setq org-link-abbrev-alist
>  '(("gmap"
>     . "http://maps.google.com/maps?q=%s")
>    ("omap"
>      . "http://nominatim.openstreetmap.org/search?q=%s&polygon=1")))

Wow, this is pretty cool.

- Carsten

> Now
>  [[gmap:Falkenstr 10, Hannover, Germany][Falkenstraße]]
>
> and
>  [[omap:Falkenstr 10, Hannover, Germany]]
>
> show a map in your browser.  LaTeX and HTML export works out the box
> with the advantage, that this export can legally be published on the
> internet without any additional action (API license key).  Even on
> commercial sites, as it's just a link to google.  OSM is no problem
> anyway.
>

> This way it's possible to show a certain place on earth, but not a
> track
> or route.
>

> There's a (known) bug in the LaTeX eporter:
>
>        [[Falkenstraße 10, Hannover, Germany]]
>
> will _not_ work, because the german Umlaut will be distorted somehow
> (unless fixed already....)
>

>  Sebastian

- Carsten

* Re: Yet another way to use maps --- the light way
@ 2010-09-23 19:30 ` Memnon Anon
From: Memnon Anon @ 2010-09-23 19:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi,

Sebastian Rose <sebastian_rose@gmx.de> writes:

> there is a light and easy way to use google and openstreetmap.org maps
> if you define them as a custom link type:
>
> (setq org-link-abbrev-alist
>   '(("gmap"
>      . "http://maps.google.com/maps?q=%s")
>     ("omap"
>       . "http://nominatim.openstreetmap.org/search?q=%s&polygon=1")))
>
> Now
>   [[gmap:Falkenstr 10, Hannover, Germany][Falkenstraße]]
>
> and
>   [[omap:Falkenstr 10, Hannover, Germany]]
[...]

This works fine for viewing in an external browser like conkeror or ff,
but fails for me in emacs w3m.

Memnon

* Re: Re: Yet another way to use maps --- the light way
@ 2010-09-23 20:10   ` Sebastian Rose
From: Sebastian Rose @ 2010-09-23 20:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Memnon Anon; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Memnon Anon <gegendosenfleisch@googlemail.com> writes:
> Hi,
>
> Sebastian Rose <sebastian_rose@gmx.de> writes:
>
>> there is a light and easy way to use google and openstreetmap.org maps
>> if you define them as a custom link type:
>>
>> (setq org-link-abbrev-alist
>>   '(("gmap"
>>      . "http://maps.google.com/maps?q=%s")
>>     ("omap"
>>       . "http://nominatim.openstreetmap.org/search?q=%s&polygon=1")))
>>
>> Now
>>   [[gmap:Falkenstr 10, Hannover, Germany][Falkenstraße]]
>>
>> and
>>   [[omap:Falkenstr 10, Hannover, Germany]]
> [...]
>
> This works fine for viewing in an external browser like conkeror or ff,
> but fails for me in emacs w3m.
>
> Memnon

Yes.  For this to work, you'd to do something like this (untested):

(defun org-follow-gmap-link (path)
  "Follow a google-map link when clicked."
  (browse-url-mozilla
   (concat "http://maps.google.com/maps?q=" path)))

(org-add-link-type "gmap" 'org-follow-gmap-link nil)

(defun org-follow-omap-link (path)
  "Follow a osm-map link when clicked."
  (browse-url-mozilla
   (concat
    "http://nominatim.openstreetmap.org/search?q="
    path "&polygon=1")))

(org-add-link-type "omap" 'org-follow-omap-link nil)

HTH

@ 2010-09-24  7:18 ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2010-09-24  7:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sep 23, 2010, at 10:17 AM, Sebastian Rose wrote:

> Hi,
>

> there is a light and easy way to use google and openstreetmap.org maps
> if you define them as a custom link type:
>

> (setq org-link-abbrev-alist
>  '(("gmap"
>     . "http://maps.google.com/maps?q=%s")
>    ("omap"
>      . "http://nominatim.openstreetmap.org/search?q=%s&polygon=1")))
>

> Now
>  [[gmap:Falkenstr 10, Hannover, Germany][Falkenstraße]]
>
> and
>  [[omap:Falkenstr 10, Hannover, Germany]]

I have added these examples to the manual.

Thanks!

- Carsten