* Clocktable question
@ 2011-05-05 15:07 Jason Knight
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Jason Knight @ 2011-05-05 15:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

I'm working on several grant-funded projects which require not only
the amount of time spent on a project but the start and end times for
each task. I've not been able to figure out how to get clocktable to
do this for me.

If what I've got in my .org files is this:

CLOCK: [2011-05-04 Wed 11:19]--[2011-05-04 Wed 13:22] =>  2:03

-- I need my end-of-month report to show the total duration, as well
as the start and end time. How do I accomplish this? Is there
something I can do with the :formatter parameter?

Thanks for your input!

Jason Knight

* Re: Clocktable question
@ 2011-05-05 15:57 ` brian powell
From: brian powell @ 2011-05-05 15:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jason Knight; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

* I hope you can learn how to do this using EMACS OrgMode--best thing
for what you seek to do.

** In the meantime, I suggest using timeclock.el

*** Some functions: (believe me, its really easy to use--puts a log
into ~/.timelog or something like that)

"Click <mouse-2> on a completion to select it.
In this buffer, type RET to select the completion near point.

Possible completions are:
timeclock-change 	timeclock-in
timeclock-modeline-display 	timeclock-out
timeclock-reread-log 	timeclock-status-string
timeclock-when-to-leave-string 	timeclock-workday-elapsed-string
timeclock-workday-remaining-string

* I used to use it all the time; its quick and easy, you easily keep
track of each task you are working on--down to the second.

** As you are exiting emacs, it will automagically query you as to
whether or not to clock out, etc.

* Re: Clocktable question
@ 2011-05-05 16:05 ` Nick Dokos
From: Nick Dokos @ 2011-05-05 16:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jason Knight; +Cc: nicholas.dokos, emacs-orgmode

Jason Knight <jasoneknight@gmail.com> wrote:

> I'm working on several grant-funded projects which require not only
> the amount of time spent on a project but the start and end times for
> each task. I've not been able to figure out how to get clocktable to
> do this for me.
>
> If what I've got in my .org files is this:
>
> CLOCK: [2011-05-04 Wed 11:19]--[2011-05-04 Wed 13:22] =>  2:03
>
> -- I need my end-of-month report to show the total duration, as well
> as the start and end time. How do I accomplish this? Is there
> something I can do with the :formatter parameter?

I don't know anything about clocks, but if I had to start using them,
I'd start with Bernt Hansen's document:

    http://doc.norang.ca/org-mode.html

Nick

* Re: Clocktable question
@ 2011-05-05 17:32 ` Bernt Hansen
From: Bernt Hansen @ 2011-05-05 17:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jason Knight; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Jason Knight <jasoneknight@gmail.com> writes:

> I'm working on several grant-funded projects which require not only
> the amount of time spent on a project but the start and end times for
> each task. I've not been able to figure out how to get clocktable to
> do this for me.
>
> If what I've got in my .org files is this:
>
> CLOCK: [2011-05-04 Wed 11:19]--[2011-05-04 Wed 13:22] =>  2:03
>
> -- I need my end-of-month report to show the total duration, as well
> as the start and end time. How do I accomplish this? Is there
> something I can do with the :formatter parameter?
>
> Thanks for your input!

Hi Jason,

Are you looking for the start/end time for the month, or each day?

I personally use the agenda to display both the clocking lines and the
associated clock report

C-c a a l R

You can limit the results to some tag in case you want to filter only to
specific projects -- then use C-u R instead of R to get the clock report
limited to the tags as well.

I don't have an automated way to record these details ATM.  I usually
just transcribe the few required details to whatever time reporting
system needs the data.

HTH,
Bernt