* [babel] subtree evaluation with results outside the subtree
@ 2012-09-05  8:35 Andreas Leha
From: Andreas Leha @ 2012-09-05  8:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi all,

I have the following question.  Consider the following simple org file

#+begin_org
* Subtree to eval (with C-c C-v s)
#+name: some_test
#+begin_src R
  5+1
#+end_src

* another subtree containing the result

#+results: some_test
: 6

#+end_org

(a)
When I evaluate the source block interactively (C-c C-c) the existing
results get updated.

(b)
When I evaluate the subtree containing the source block, on the other
hand, a new result block is created.

While the behaviour in (b) is understandable, I'd like (b) to behave
like (a).
So, is there a way I can evaluate all source blocks in a
subtree, but have their result blocks updated even if they are not
located in that subtree?

Many thanks,
Andreas

* Re: [babel] subtree evaluation with results outside the subtree
@ 2012-09-05 18:03 ` Eric Schulte
From: Eric Schulte @ 2012-09-05 18:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andreas Leha; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Andreas Leha <andreas.leha@med.uni-goettingen.de> writes:

> Hi all,
>
> I have the following question.  Consider the following simple org file
>
> #+begin_org
> * Subtree to eval (with C-c C-v s)
> #+name: some_test
> #+begin_src R
>   5+1
> #+end_src
>

> * another subtree containing the result
>
> #+results: some_test
> : 6
>
> #+end_org
>
> (a)
> When I evaluate the source block interactively (C-c C-c) the existing
> results get updated.
>
> (b)
> When I evaluate the subtree containing the source block, on the other
> hand, a new result block is created.
>
> While the behaviour in (b) is understandable, I'd like (b) to behave
> like (a).
> So, is there a way I can evaluate all source blocks in a
> subtree, but have their result blocks updated even if they are not
> located in that subtree?
>
> Many thanks,
> Andreas

Hi Andreas,

I've just pushed up a patch which widens any buffer restrictions when
inserting results.

Cheers,

--
Eric Schulte
http://cs.unm.edu/~eschulte

* Re: [babel] subtree evaluation with results outside the subtree
@ 2012-09-05 18:53   ` Andreas Leha
From: Andreas Leha @ 2012-09-05 18:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Eric Schulte <eric.schulte@gmx.com> writes:

> Andreas Leha <andreas.leha@med.uni-goettingen.de> writes:
>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I have the following question.  Consider the following simple org file
>>
>> #+begin_org
>> * Subtree to eval (with C-c C-v s)
>> #+name: some_test
>> #+begin_src R
>>   5+1
>> #+end_src
>>

>> * another subtree containing the result
>>
>> #+results: some_test
>> : 6
>>
>> #+end_org
>>
>> (a)
>> When I evaluate the source block interactively (C-c C-c) the existing
>> results get updated.
>>
>> (b)
>> When I evaluate the subtree containing the source block, on the other
>> hand, a new result block is created.
>>
>> While the behaviour in (b) is understandable, I'd like (b) to behave
>> like (a).
>> So, is there a way I can evaluate all source blocks in a
>> subtree, but have their result blocks updated even if they are not
>> located in that subtree?
>>
>> Many thanks,
>> Andreas
>>

> Hi Andreas,
>
> I've just pushed up a patch which widens any buffer restrictions when
> inserting results.
>
> Cheers,

Hi Eric,

thanks for the quick patch.  It works nicely for me.

Best,
Andreas