* Stopping "done/cancelled" from showing in agenda view?
@ 2014-06-09 12:44 Sharon Kimble
From: Sharon Kimble @ 2014-06-09 12:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: org-mode

This is probably an easy one to answer, but I can't even think of
how to query google with it. And I can't see how to do it in the org
manual either!

But, how do you stop a "done", or "cancelled" item from appearing in
the agenda view please? Is there some code that will auto-magically
do it for me please?

Thanks
Sharon.
TGmeds = http://www.tgmeds.org.uk
Debian testing, fluxbox 1.3.5, emacs 24.3.91.1

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: Stopping "done/cancelled" from showing in agenda view?
@ 2014-06-09 13:38 ` Thorsten Jolitz
From: Thorsten Jolitz @ 2014-06-09 13:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Sharon Kimble <boudiccas@skimble.plus.com> writes:

> This is probably an easy one to answer, but I can't even think of
> how to query google with it. And I can't see how to do it in the org
> manual either!
>
> But, how do you stop a "done", or "cancelled" item from appearing in
> the agenda view please? Is there some code that will auto-magically
> do it for me please?

hmm... should be the default:

,---------------------------------------------------------------------
| C-c a t     (org-todo-list)
|     Show the global TODO list. This collects the TODO items from all
|     agenda files (see Agenda Views) into a single buffer. By
|     default, this lists items with a state the is not a DONE state.
`---------------------------------------------------------------------

There are:

,----------------------------
| C-h v org-not-done-keywords
`----------------------------

and

,------------------------
| C-h v org-done-keywords
`------------------------

which are probably nil in your case.

--
cheers,
Thorsten

* Re: Stopping "done/cancelled" from showing in agenda view?
@ 2014-06-09 14:22   ` Sharon Kimble
From: Sharon Kimble @ 2014-06-09 14:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thorsten Jolitz; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Thorsten Jolitz <tjolitz@gmail.com> writes:

> Sharon Kimble <boudiccas@skimble.plus.com> writes:
>
>> This is probably an easy one to answer, but I can't even think of
>> how to query google with it. And I can't see how to do it in the org
>> manual either!
>>
>> But, how do you stop a "done", or "cancelled" item from appearing in
>> the agenda view please? Is there some code that will auto-magically
>> do it for me please?
>
> hmm... should be the default:
>
> ,---------------------------------------------------------------------
> | C-c a t     (org-todo-list)
> |     Show the global TODO list. This collects the TODO items from all
> |     agenda files (see Agenda Views) into a single buffer. By
> |     default, this lists items with a state the is not a DONE state.
> `---------------------------------------------------------------------

I do C-c a a which shows the 3 coming weeks and the 1 past week.

> There are:
>
> ,----------------------------
> | C-h v org-not-done-keywords
> `----------------------------
>
> and
>
> ,------------------------
> | C-h v org-done-keywords
> `------------------------
>
> which are probably nil in your case.

Yes, they are.

@ 2014-06-09 14:49 ` Nick Dokos
From: Nick Dokos @ 2014-06-09 14:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Sharon Kimble <boudiccas@skimble.plus.com> writes:

> This is probably an easy one to answer, but I can't even think of
> how to query google with it. And I can't see how to do it in the org
> manual either!
>
> But, how do you stop a "done", or "cancelled" item from appearing in
> the agenda view please? Is there some code that will auto-magically
> do it for me please?

Set org-agenda-skip-scheduled-if-done to t perhaps? And similarly
for org-agenda-skip-deadline-if-done. Not sure whether that will do
anything for CANCELLED though.

BTW, the search I did was within emacs (much more likely to be on
point than  a Google search):

      C-h v org-agenda--done TAB TAB ...

or when I'm really vague about what I'm looking for

      C-h v org-agenda- TAB

I then C-x o to the completion buffer and just use normal emacs
commands to look around.

Nick

* Re: Stopping "done/cancelled" from showing in agenda view?
@ 2014-06-09 15:57   ` Nick Dokos
From: Nick Dokos @ 2014-06-09 15:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Nick Dokos <ndokos@gmail.com> writes:

> Sharon Kimble <boudiccas@skimble.plus.com> writes:
>
>> This is probably an easy one to answer, but I can't even think of
>> how to query google with it. And I can't see how to do it in the org
>> manual either!
>>
>> But, how do you stop a "done", or "cancelled" item from appearing in
>> the agenda view please? Is there some code that will auto-magically
>> do it for me please?
>>

> Set org-agenda-skip-scheduled-if-done to t perhaps? And similarly
> for org-agenda-skip-deadline-if-done. Not sure whether that will do
> anything for CANCELLED though.

Assuming that CANCELLED is a DONE state - see

  (info "(org) workflow states")

for details - the above should work for CANCELLED as well. E.g.

#+TODO: TODO | DONE CANCELLED
* TODO foo
SCHEDULED: <2014-06-09 Mon>

* DONE bar
SCHEDULED: <2014-06-09 Mon>

* CANCELLED baz
SCHEDULED: <2014-06-09 Mon>

then the agenda shows all three if org-agenda-skip-scheduled-if-done is
nil, but shows only `foo' if it is set to t.

As a more general question, should the default be t for all three of the
org-agenda-skip-*-if-done variables? It seems that most people prefer
that behaviour. Perhaps we have gone around this before, but I didn't
check the archives.

Nick