* BEAMER_act property documented in ox-beamer.el
@ 2014-06-17 20:01 Sebastien Vauban
From: Sebastien Vauban @ 2014-06-17 20:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode-mXXj517/zsQ

Hello,

I'm trying to understand the sentence from ox-beamer.el:

    Headlines also support the "BEAMER_act" property.  [It] is translated as an
    overlay/action specification (or a default overlay specification when
    enclosed within square brackets).

Rewritten, it says that that property is translated as:

- a default overlay specification *when enclosed within square brackets*, or
- an overlay/action specification *when NOT enclosed within square brackets*.

Though, I don't understand exactly what that *default* specification really
means. Moreover, I can't get it: without square brackets, PDFLaTeX becomes
crazy...

* Overlay/action specification enclosed within square brackets

The following 2 cases are exported in exactly the same LaTeX code.

** With angular brackets
   :PROPERTIES:
   :BEAMER_act: [<+->]
   :END:

- Item 1
- Item 2

** Without angular brackets
   :PROPERTIES:
   :BEAMER_act: [+-]
   :END:

- Item 1
- Item 2

* Overlay/action specification NOT enclosed within square brackets   :noexport:

The follow 2 cases make PDFLaTeX infloop...

** Without angular brackets
   :PROPERTIES:
   :BEAMER_act: <+->
   :END:

- Item 1
- Item 2

** Without angular brackets
   :PROPERTIES:
   :BEAMER_act: +-
   :END:

- Item 1
- Item 2

Anyone undestanding more than I am?

Best regards,
  Seb

--
Sebastien Vauban

* Re: BEAMER_act property documented in ox-beamer.el
@ 2014-06-18  8:19 ` Eric S Fraga
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2014-06-18  8:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sebastien Vauban; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Tuesday, 17 Jun 2014 at 22:01, Sebastien Vauban wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm trying to understand the sentence from ox-beamer.el:
>
>     Headlines also support the "BEAMER_act" property.  [It] is translated as an
>     overlay/action specification (or a default overlay specification when
>     enclosed within square brackets).
>
> Rewritten, it says that that property is translated as:
>
> - a default overlay specification *when enclosed within square brackets*, or
> - an overlay/action specification *when NOT enclosed within square brackets*.
>
> Though, I don't understand exactly what that *default* specification really
> means. Moreover, I can't get it: without square brackets, PDFLaTeX becomes
> crazy...

I agree with you: I am not entirely sure what a *default* specification
means.  However, without square brackets, I get output that makes sense
and pdflatex has no problems with it.

I am using beamer from debian package latex-beamer 3.24-1 with texlive
2013.20130722.
--
: Eric S Fraga (0xFFFCF67D), Emacs 24.4.50.2, Org release_8.2.7-1110-g25fc4d

* Re: BEAMER_act property documented in ox-beamer.el
@ 2014-06-18  8:52   ` Nicolas Goaziou
From: Nicolas Goaziou @ 2014-06-18  8:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sebastien Vauban; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

> On Tuesday, 17 Jun 2014 at 22:01, Sebastien Vauban wrote:
>
>> I'm trying to understand the sentence from ox-beamer.el:
>>
>>     Headlines also support the "BEAMER_act" property.  [It] is translated as an
>>     overlay/action specification (or a default overlay specification when
>>     enclosed within square brackets).
>>
>> Rewritten, it says that that property is translated as:
>>
>> - a default overlay specification *when enclosed within square brackets*, or
>> - an overlay/action specification *when NOT enclosed within square brackets*.
>>
>> Though, I don't understand exactly what that *default* specification really
>> means. Moreover, I can't get it: without square brackets, PDFLaTeX becomes
>> crazy...
>
> I agree with you: I am not entirely sure what a *default* specification
> means.

See Beamer class user guide about "\begin{frame}" syntax (II.8, p. 59 on
version 3.20). Basically, default specification also applies to all
commands and environments within the frame, as long as they do not
provide their own specification.

Nicolas Goaziou