* How to sort an unordered list?
@ 2015-06-05 16:01 Sharon Kimble
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Sharon Kimble @ 2015-06-05 16:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: org-mode

I've been unable to sort an unordered list as per
http://orgmode.org/manual/Plain-lists.html where it says 'C-c ^' but
everytime I try on a highlighted region it just inserts ^ at the
beginning of the first item.

So how can I sort it please?

Thanks
Sharon.
TGmeds = http://www.tgmeds.org.uk
Debian 8.0, fluxbox 1.3.7, emacs 24.5.50.1

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: How to sort an unordered list?
@ 2015-06-05 16:33 ` John Kitchin
From: John Kitchin @ 2015-06-05 16:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sharon Kimble; +Cc: org-mode

I can't reproduce your problem.

If I put the cursor on any one of these lines and type C-c ^, it asks me
how to sort the list.

- 5
- 3
- 1

John

-----------------------------------
Professor John Kitchin
Doherty Hall A207F
Department of Chemical Engineering
Carnegie Mellon University
Pittsburgh, PA 15213
412-268-7803
@johnkitchin
http://kitchingroup.cheme.cmu.edu

@ 2015-06-05 17:40   ` Sharon Kimble
From: Sharon Kimble @ 2015-06-05 17:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John Kitchin; +Cc: org-mode

John Kitchin <jkitchin@andrew.cmu.edu> writes:

> I can't reproduce your problem.
>
> If I put the cursor on any one of these lines and type C-c ^, it asks me how to sort the list.
>
> - 5
> - 3
> - 1
>
> John

Hi John, thanks for the reply. Using your sample I do 'Ctrl-c &
Shift 6'. I have to do it this way as the '^' character is above the
6, and if I don't do that then I just get a '6'!

This is with 'Org-mode version 8.2.10 (release_8.2.10 @
/home/boudiccas/git/org-mode/lisp/)' and 'GNU Emacs 24.5.50.1
(i686-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.14.5) of 2015-04-16 on london'.

Thanks
Sharon.

@ 2015-06-05 18:02 ` Nick Dokos
From: Nick Dokos @ 2015-06-05 18:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Sharon Kimble <boudiccas@skimble.plus.com> writes:

> I've been unable to sort an unordered list as per
> http://orgmode.org/manual/Plain-lists.html where it says 'C-c ^' but
> everytime I try on a highlighted region it just inserts ^ at the
> beginning of the first item.

If I highlight the region and press C-c ^, I get "Nothing to sort",
but it does not insert a caret. It looks as if your Control-C is ignored
somehow.

Once you get the C-c issue straightened out, don't highlight the region:
just place the cursor somewhere in the list and type C-c ^ and then
select what kind of sorting you want from the menu in the echo area.

Nick

* Re: How to sort an unordered list?
@ 2015-06-05 18:29 ` Subhan Michael Tindall
From: Subhan Michael Tindall @ 2015-06-05 18:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sharon Kimble, org-mode

Are you using CUA mode by any chance?  If this is the case, when you highlight and hit C-c you are copying the region.
Try C-S-c  ^ (same as C-C ^) (which using the non-CUA key binding)
And should sort just find for you.
The use of shift to override CUA bindings is very helpful, works for C-v & C-x too.

This message is intended for the sole use of the individual and entity to which it is addressed and may contain information that is privileged, confidential and exempt from disclosure under applicable law. If you are not the intended addressee, nor authorized to receive for the intended addressee, you are hereby notified that you may not use, copy, disclose or distribute to anyone the message or any information contained in the message. If you have received this message in error, please immediately advise the sender by reply email and delete the message.  Thank you.

* Re: How to sort an unordered list?
@ 2015-06-05 19:07   ` Sharon Kimble
From: Sharon Kimble @ 2015-06-05 19:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Subhan Michael Tindall, Nick Dokos; +Cc: org-mode

Subhan Michael Tindall <SubhanT@familycareinc.org> writes:

> Are you using CUA mode by any chance?  If this is the case, when you highlight and hit C-c you are copying the region.
> Try C-S-c  ^ (same as C-C ^) (which using the non-CUA key binding)
> And should sort just find for you.
> The use of shift to override CUA bindings is very helpful, works
> for C-v & C-x too.

Thanks for this Subhan Michael, and Nick.

I wasn't aware of the usage of shift, and when I try it on John's
testing setup, I get an error message displayed in the echo area
which says "user-error: No surrounding element".

I've had these sorts of problems before with various commands, on
this computer which was new in February this year, and its
predecessor. But the common element with both is that I've used the
same USB keyboard! So I'll swap it over to another USB keyboard I
have tomorrow, and see if that changes things.

Thanks
Sharon.

@ 2015-06-06 15:18   ` Sharon Kimble
From: Sharon Kimble @ 2015-06-06 15:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nick Dokos, emacs-orgmode

Nick Dokos <ndokos@gmail.com> writes:

> Sharon Kimble <boudiccas@skimble.plus.com> writes:
>
>> I've been unable to sort an unordered list as per
>> http://orgmode.org/manual/Plain-lists.html where it says 'C-c ^' but
>> everytime I try on a highlighted region it just inserts ^ at the
>> beginning of the first item.
>>

> If I highlight the region and press C-c ^, I get "Nothing to sort",
> but it does not insert a caret. It looks as if your Control-C is ignored
> somehow.
>
> Once you get the C-c issue straightened out, don't highlight the region:
> just place the cursor somewhere in the list and type C-c ^ and then
> select what kind of sorting you want from the menu in the echo area.

I did change over the keyboards, but have swapped back to my old
keyboard because the other keyboard didn't have any linux response
to 'F1' or 'S+F1', even after a reboot! This is what was shown in
the minibuffer when appropriate keys were pressed -

<M-XF86AudioMute> is undefined -- M+f1
<M-XF86AudioLowerVolume> is undefined -- M+f2
<M-XF86AudioRaiseVolume> is undefined -- M+f3

Essentially the only viable, working, key in emacs on the 'F-key
row' was 'F5'!

So I'm now back on my old keyboard, and back to working as usual,
but still unable to sort any lists.

@ 2015-06-06 18:53     ` Charles C. Berry
From: Charles C. Berry @ 2015-06-06 18:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sharon Kimble; +Cc: Nick Dokos, emacs-orgmode

On Sat, 6 Jun 2015, Sharon Kimble wrote:

> Nick Dokos <ndokos@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> Sharon Kimble <boudiccas@skimble.plus.com> writes:
>>
>>> I've been unable to sort an unordered list as per
>>> http://orgmode.org/manual/Plain-lists.html where it says 'C-c ^' but
>>> everytime I try on a highlighted region it just inserts ^ at the
>>> beginning of the first item.

[description of keyboard issues deleted]

> Essentially the only viable, working, key in emacs on the 'F-key
> row' was 'F5'!
>
> So I'm now back on my old keyboard, and back to working as usual,
> but still unable to sort any lists.

What does `M-x org-sort RET' yield?

Chuck

* Re: How to sort an unordered list?