* How to make footnotes be fnlocal by default?
@ 2015-06-15 22:40 William Denton
From: William Denton @ 2015-06-15 22:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

I'm writing something with a bunch of footnotes and instead of doing them by hand I'm using C-c C-x f, which in the usual Emacs/Org way strikes me as a more difficult at first but then turns into magic.

By default, adding a footnote puts it at the bottom of the document.  This is
because of org-footnote-define-inline:

'Non-nil means define footnotes inline, at reference location. When nil,
footnotes will be defined in a special section near the end of the document.
When t, the [fn:label:definition] notation will be used to define the footnote
at the reference position."

However, there are three (not two) possible options available in STARTUP

> fninline    define footnotes inline
> fnnoinline  define footnotes in separate section
> fnlocal     define footnotes near first reference, but not inline

I found I like fnlocal, which puts the footnotes at the bottom of the paragraph
or section, where they are nearby and easy to see.

I'd like to make this the default in all Org files by setting
org-footnote-define-inline, but it seems I can't---all I can definte that way
are the fninline and fnnoinline options.  Am I correct?  Is there some way
around this, or perhaps a (setq org-footnote-define-inline 'fnlocal) setting
could be added?

Bill
--
William Denton ↔  Toronto, Canada ↔  https://www.miskatonic.org/

* Re: How to make footnotes be fnlocal by default?
@ 2015-06-15 22:56 ` Kyle Meyer
From: Kyle Meyer @ 2015-06-15 22:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: William Denton; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

William Denton <wtd@pobox.com> wrote:
[...]
> However, there are three (not two) possible options available in
> STARTUP options:
>
>> fninline    define footnotes inline
>> fnnoinline  define footnotes in separate section
>> fnlocal     define footnotes near first reference, but not inline
>
> I found I like fnlocal, which puts the footnotes at the bottom of the
> paragraph or section, where they are nearby and easy to see.
>
> I'd like to make this the default in all Org files by setting
> org-footnote-define-inline, but it seems I can't---all I can definte
> that way are the fninline and fnnoinline options.  Am I correct?  Is
> there some way around this, or perhaps a (setq
> org-footnote-define-inline 'fnlocal) setting could be added?

I think you can get this by setting org-footnote-section to nil.  (I
haven't tried this but am guessing based off of org-startup-options.)

--
Kyle

* Re: How to make footnotes be fnlocal by default?
@ 2015-06-15 22:57 ` Rasmus
From: Rasmus @ 2015-06-15 22:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

William Denton <wtd@pobox.com> writes:

> I'm writing something with a bunch of footnotes and instead of doing
> them by hand I'm using C-c C-x f, which in the usual Emacs/Org way
> strikes me as a more difficult at first but then turns into magic.
>
> By default, adding a footnote puts it at the bottom of the document.
> This is because of org-footnote-define-inline:
>
> 'Non-nil means define footnotes inline, at reference location. When
> nil, footnotes will be defined in a special section near the end of
> the document. When t, the [fn:label:definition] notation will be used
> to define the footnote at the reference position."
>
> However, there are three (not two) possible options available in
> STARTUP options:
>
>> fninline    define footnotes inline
>> fnnoinline  define footnotes in separate section
>> fnlocal     define footnotes near first reference, but not inline
>
> I found I like fnlocal, which puts the footnotes at the bottom of the
> paragraph or section, where they are nearby and easy to see.
>
> I'd like to make this the default in all Org files by setting
> org-footnote-define-inline, but it seems I can't---all I can definte
> that way are the fninline and fnnoinline options.  Am I correct?  Is
> there some way around this, or perhaps a (setq
> org-footnote-define-inline 'fnlocal) setting could be added?

How about:
    (setq org-footnote-section nil)

Rasmus

--
Send from my Emacs

* Re: How to make footnotes be fnlocal by default?
@ 2015-06-16  1:22   ` William Denton
From: William Denton @ 2015-06-16  1:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Thanks, Kyle and Rasmus.

Attached is a tiny patch to add mention of this variable in the section of the
docs where all those options are listed.

Bill

--
William Denton ↔  Toronto, Canada ↔  https://www.miskatonic.org/

[-- Attachment #2: Type: TEXT/x-diff; name=footnote.patch, Size: 947 bytes --]

*** org.texi	2015-05-31 13:00:44.415430490 -0400
--- org.texi.new	2015-06-15 21:17:30.771751673 -0400
***************
*** 17155,17161 ****
  @vindex org-footnote-auto-adjust
  To influence footnote settings, use the following keywords.  The
  corresponding variables are @code{org-footnote-define-inline},
! @code{org-footnote-auto-label}, and @code{org-footnote-auto-adjust}.
  @cindex @code{fninline}, STARTUP keyword
  @cindex @code{nofninline}, STARTUP keyword
  @cindex @code{fnlocal}, STARTUP keyword
--- 17155,17162 ----
! @code{org-footnote-auto-label}, @code{org-footnote-auto-adjust},
! and @code{org-footnote-section}.

@ 2015-06-16 11:49     ` Nicolas Goaziou
From: Nicolas Goaziou @ 2015-06-16 11:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: William Denton; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hello,

William Denton <wtd@pobox.com> writes:

> Attached is a tiny patch to add mention of this variable in the
> section of the docs where all those options are listed.

Thank you. Would you mind using git format-patch for it and add a proper
commit message?

Also, wouldn't it make sense to use @vindex org-footnote-section in the
paragraph above?

Nicolas Goaziou