* org-publish error with java hook
@ 2021-01-17 18:21 Colin Baxter
From: Colin Baxter @ 2021-01-17 18:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hello,

In the last few days org-publish no loner works for me, giving a lisp
error: (void-function conkeror-minor-mode). The source of the problem is
the line '(add-hook 'js-mode-hook 'conkeror-minor-mode)' in my init
file. If I comment out the line, the error disappears.

I've tried reverting a couple of recent commits in org-mode, but to no
avail. I'd appreciate pointers as to the issue.

I'm using emacs-27.1 with Org mode version 9.4.4
(release_9.4.4-186-g7fa817).

Best wishes,

Colin Baxter.

* Re: org-publish error with java hook
@ 2021-01-17 19:30 ` Tim Cross
From: Tim Cross @ 2021-01-17 19:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Colin Baxter <m43cap@yandex.com> writes:

> Hello,
>
> In the last few days org-publish no loner works for me, giving a lisp
> error: (void-function conkeror-minor-mode). The source of the problem is
> the line '(add-hook 'js-mode-hook 'conkeror-minor-mode)' in my init
> file. If I comment out the line, the error disappears.
>
> I've tried reverting a couple of recent commits in org-mode, but to no
> avail. I'd appreciate pointers as to the issue.
>
> I'm using emacs-27.1 with Org mode version 9.4.4
> (release_9.4.4-186-g7fa817).

I suspect that is something related to your local configuration -
specifically in your Javascript setup hook. I don't think it has
anything to do with org. When org publish does its thing, it must be

Emacs has deprecated conkeror support in the browse-url library ecently
(Emacs 28 I think), which has probably resulted in some other packages
removing conkeror support. My guess would be that you have been using a
package which adds conkeror support when editing Javascript code (you
could test this by opening a JS file outside of org mode and see if you
get the same error).

Review the packages you have which provide JS editing support and you
will likely find the culprit.

--
Tim Cross

* Re: org-publish error with java hook
@ 2021-01-17 20:33   ` Colin Baxter
From: Colin Baxter @ 2021-01-17 20:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tim Cross; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi Tim,

Thanks for you quick reply.

    > Colin Baxter <m43cap@yandex.com> writes:

    >> Hello,
    >>
    >> In the last few days org-publish no loner works for me, giving a
    >> lisp error: (void-function conkeror-minor-mode). The source of
    >> the problem is the line '(add-hook 'js-mode-hook
    >> 'conkeror-minor-mode)' in my init file. If I comment out the
    >> line, the error disappears.
    >>
    >> I've tried reverting a couple of recent commits in org-mode, but
    >> to no avail. I'd appreciate pointers as to the issue.
    >>
    >> I'm using emacs-27.1 with Org mode version 9.4.4
    >> (release_9.4.4-186-g7fa817).
    >>

    > I suspect that is something related to your local configuration -
    > specifically in your Javascript setup hook. I don't think it has
    > anything to do with org. When org publish does its thing, it must
    > be loading js mode and that is triggering the error.

    > Emacs has deprecated conkeror support in the browse-url library
    > ecently (Emacs 28 I think), which has probably resulted in some
    > other packages removing conkeror support. My guess would be that
    > you have been using a package which adds conkeror support when
    > editing Javascript code (you could test this by opening a JS file
    > outside of org mode and see if you get the same error).

I don't get this error editing a js outside of org-mode,
unfortunately. In fact, conkeror-minor-mode-el still works. Ok, all it
does is to send a js script to be evaluate by conkeror, but it still does
exactly that.

I intend to check - when I get time - if the CDATA @license-end stuff
that org publish inserts is not responsible.

Best wishes,

Colin.

@ 2021-01-17 20:53     ` Tim Cross
From: Tim Cross @ 2021-01-17 20:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Colin Baxter; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Colin Baxter <m43cap@yandex.com> writes:

> Hi Tim,
>
> Thanks for you quick reply.
>
>     > Colin Baxter <m43cap@yandex.com> writes:
>
>     >> Hello,
>     >>
>     >> In the last few days org-publish no loner works for me, giving a
>     >> lisp error: (void-function conkeror-minor-mode). The source of
>     >> the problem is the line '(add-hook 'js-mode-hook
>     >> 'conkeror-minor-mode)' in my init file. If I comment out the
>     >> line, the error disappears.
>     >>
>     >> I've tried reverting a couple of recent commits in org-mode, but
>     >> to no avail. I'd appreciate pointers as to the issue.
>     >>
>     >> I'm using emacs-27.1 with Org mode version 9.4.4
>     >> (release_9.4.4-186-g7fa817).
>     >>

>     > I suspect that is something related to your local configuration -
>     > specifically in your Javascript setup hook. I don't think it has
>     > anything to do with org. When org publish does its thing, it must
>     > be loading js mode and that is triggering the error.
>
>     > Emacs has deprecated conkeror support in the browse-url library
>     > ecently (Emacs 28 I think), which has probably resulted in some
>     > other packages removing conkeror support. My guess would be that
>     > you have been using a package which adds conkeror support when
>     > editing Javascript code (you could test this by opening a JS file
>     > outside of org mode and see if you get the same error).
>
> I don't get this error editing a js outside of org-mode,
> unfortunately. In fact, conkeror-minor-mode-el still works. Ok, all it
> does is to send a js script to be evaluate by conkeror, but it still does
> exactly that.
>
> I intend to check - when I get time - if the CDATA @license-end stuff
> that org publish inserts is not responsible.

My guess would be that something has changed in your configuration.
Possibly something was previously doing a require for
conkeror-minor-mode.el before org is loaded which is no longer there.
You could try adding a (require 'conkeror-minor-mode) in your
customisation before org is loaded (or before org-publish is loaded).

You could also try loading a JS file by hand and then load an org file
and try to run org-publish. I suspect it will work, which would confirm
the issue is that nothing has loaded conkeror-minor-mode at the time you
try to do org-publish.

--
Tim Cross

* Re: org-publish error with java hook
@ 2021-01-17 21:19       ` Colin Baxter
From: Colin Baxter @ 2021-01-17 21:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tim Cross; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

    > Colin Baxter <m43cap@yandex.com> writes:

    >> Hi Tim,
    >>
    >> Thanks for you quick reply.

    >> a >> lisp error: (void-function conkeror-minor-mode). The source
    >> of >> the problem is the line '(add-hook 'js-mode-hook >>
    >> 'conkeror-minor-mode)' in my init file. If I comment out the >>
    >> line, the error disappears.

    >> but >> to no avail. I'd appreciate pointers as to the issue.

    >> (release_9.4.4-186-g7fa817).
    >> >>

    >> > I suspect that is something related to your local configuration
    >> - > specifically in your Javascript setup hook. I don't think it
    >> has > anything to do with org. When org publish does its thing,
    >> it must > be loading js mode and that is triggering the error.
    >>
    >> > Emacs has deprecated conkeror support in the browse-url library
    >> > ecently (Emacs 28 I think), which has probably resulted in some
    >> > other packages removing conkeror support. My guess would be
    >> that > you have been using a package which adds conkeror support
    >> when > editing Javascript code (you could test this by opening a
    >> JS file > outside of org mode and see if you get the same error).
    >>
    >> I don't get this error editing a js outside of org-mode,
    >> unfortunately. In fact, conkeror-minor-mode-el still works. Ok,
    >> all it does is to send a js script to be evaluate by conkeror,
    >> but it still does exactly that.
    >>
    >> I intend to check - when I get time - if the CDATA @license-end
    >> stuff that org publish inserts is not responsible.
    >>

    > My guess would be that something has changed in your
    > configuration.  Possibly something was previously doing a require
    > for conkeror-minor-mode.el before org is loaded which is no longer
    > there.  You could try adding a (require 'conkeror-minor-mode) in
    > your customisation before org is loaded (or before org-publish is
    > loaded).

I have now discovered the problem. You are correct. I had changed
recently my init file, with the effect that conkeror-minor-mode was no
longer loaded when I ran org publish, even though the hook was still
present. I had changed things thinking it was a "simplification". I had
forgotten "if it works don't touch it".

Thanks for your help - sorry about the non-issue.

Best wishes,

Colin.

--
Colin Baxter