* Bindings for selection of dates after C-c C-s?
@ 2008-10-29 10:03 Ángel de Vicente
From: Ángel de Vicente @ 2008-10-29 10:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi,

I've checked the ORG documentation but did not find how to navigate in the
mini-buffer for the selection of date that shows up after issuing the
command C-c C-s for scheduling of a TODO task.

By default it shows me today, and I've realized that I can type +1 or such
expressions and I will get it scheduled for tomorrow. This is convenient,
but if I want to schedule something for, say, January 23rd, how can I do
it? For the moment I can change to the calendar buffer, select the date
there and then press enter. But, is there a way to navigate through the
possible dates in the mini-buffer to speed it up? I've tried with the
arrow keys, PageUp, PageDn, etc. but was not lucky...

Thanks a lot,
Ángel de Vicente
--
----------------------------------
http://www.iac.es/galeria/angelv/

High Performance Computing Support PostDoc
Instituto de Astrofísica de Canarias

* Re: Bindings for selection of dates after C-c C-s?
@ 2008-10-29 14:00 ` mdl
From: mdl @ 2008-10-29 14:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ángel de Vicente; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Ángel de Vicente <angelv@iac.es> writes:

> Hi,
>
> I've checked the ORG documentation but did not find how to navigate in
> the  mini-buffer for the selection of date that shows up after issuing
> the  command C-c C-s for scheduling of a TODO task.
>
> By default it shows me today, and I've realized that I can type +1 or
> such  expressions and I will get it scheduled for tomorrow. This is
> convenient,  but if I want to schedule something for, say, January
> 23rd, how can I do  it? For the moment I can change to the calendar
> buffer, select the date  there and then press enter. But, is there a
> way to navigate through the  possible dates in the mini-buffer to
> speed it up? I've tried with the  arrow keys, PageUp, PageDn, etc. but
> was not lucky...

Which version of Org are you using? In the more recent versions you
can navigate dates with the arrow keys and you can navigate months
with < and > without leaving the minibuffer.

Other examples:

Type "." to schedule something for today.

Type "Nov 10" to schedule something for November 10, 2008.

Type "Fri" to schedule something for this upcoming Friday.

If you're using org-mode 4.x, I believe some of these shortcuts will
be missing.

Matt Lundin

* Re: Bindings for selection of dates after C-c C-s?
@ 2008-10-29 16:49     ` mdl
From: mdl @ 2008-10-29 16:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ángel de Vicente; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Ángel de Vicente <angelv@iac.es> writes:

> Oops, sorry about that. I'm using version 6.09a, and all the examples
> below work fine, but neither the arrow keys, neither < > do what you
> say  (are these shortcuts documented somewhere?). Up and down arrow
> key bring  back the minibuffer history. Left and arrow keys basically
> just add or  remove spaces from the mini-buffer. And < and > set mark
> the diary entries  "Marking diary entries ... done". This is through a
> remote ssh connection,  so behaviour while working locally might be a
> little different, but  certainly it didn't work, since these are some
> of the keys that I did try.  Perhaps I have something interfering with
> ORG, but I don't know what.  While in the minibuffer, if I try to find
> the valid bindings with C-h b  and I search for < and > I get:

My fault. I gave the wrong keys for moving from date to date. On my
local machine (I can't vouch for ssh functionality) I press Shift-left
and Shift-right to move forward and backwards through the days and
Shift-up and Shift-down to move up and down through the weeks.

The shift is the important key. Sorry for omitting this the first time
around.

On my local machine (Emacs 22, Org 6.10c), the keys < and > move
through the months. "Marking diary entries...done" is just the
calendar announcing that its highlighting any days that have a diary
entry, but after you get that message you should be able to use
Shift+arrow keys to navigate in the selected month.

----

Matthew Lundin
mdl at imapmail dot org

* Re: Bindings for selection of dates after C-c C-s?
@ 2008-10-29 17:40   ` Ángel de Vicente
From: Ángel de Vicente @ 2008-10-29 17:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: mdl; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi,

> Which version of Org are you using? In the more recent versions you
> can navigate dates with the arrow keys and you can navigate months
> with < and > without leaving the minibuffer.

Oops, sorry about that. I'm using version 6.09a, and all the examples
below work fine, but neither the arrow keys, neither < > do what you say
(are these shortcuts documented somewhere?). Up and down arrow key bring
back the minibuffer history. Left and arrow keys basically just add or
remove spaces from the mini-buffer. And < and > set mark the diary entries
"Marking diary entries ... done". This is through a remote ssh connection,
so behaviour while working locally might be a little different, but
certainly it didn't work, since these are some of the keys that I did try.
Perhaps I have something interfering with ORG, but I don't know what.
While in the minibuffer, if I try to find the valid bindings with C-h b
and I search for < and > I get:

<  ??
>  ??

What should I have instead?

Thanks a lot,
Ángel de Vicente
--
----------------------------------

@ 2008-10-30  9:00       ` Ángel de Vicente
From: Ángel de Vicente @ 2008-10-30  9:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: mdl; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi,

> My fault. I gave the wrong keys for moving from date to date. On my
> local machine (I can't vouch for ssh functionality) I press Shift-left
> and Shift-right to move forward and backwards through the days and
> Shift-up and Shift-down to move up and down through the weeks.
>
> The shift is the important key. Sorry for omitting this the first time
> around.

OK, all in order now. Thank you very much.

Ángel de Vicente
--