* omitting done TODOs from custom agenda
@ 2010-09-13  9:52 Eric Abrahamsen
From: Eric Abrahamsen @ 2010-09-13  9:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

I'm having a bit of confusion: I've created my own TODO sequences with
org-todo-keywords, in this case (sequence "CONTACT(n)" "REPLY(r)" "|"
"CONTACTED(e@)"). Then I've got a custom agenda defined using
org-agenda-custom-commands, where there's a weekly view on top and some
TODO items below. When I start this agenda view, and mark one of the
TODO items as CONTACTED, it doesn't disappear from the agenda view. It's
very clearly marked as done in the original org file, but it stays in
agenda. I've looked at all the extra variables for a custom agenda
command, and there doesn't seem to be one that say "don't show completed
items".

These items are part of a tag-todo statment, where the selecting regexp
is a tag, not a particular todo keyword, so I wouldn't think I've done
anything to force it to display these todo keywords.

Any advice on this? I'm running Org-mode version 7.01trans
(release_7.01h.493.gece2), on Emacs 24.

Any advice appreciated!

Eric

* Re: omitting done TODOs from custom agenda
@ 2010-09-13 18:42 ` Matt Lundin
From: Matt Lundin @ 2010-09-13 18:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric Abrahamsen; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

> I'm having a bit of confusion: I've created my own TODO sequences with
> org-todo-keywords, in this case (sequence "CONTACT(n)" "REPLY(r)" "|"
> "CONTACTED(e@)"). Then I've got a custom agenda defined using
> org-agenda-custom-commands, where there's a weekly view on top and some
> TODO items below. When I start this agenda view, and mark one of the
> TODO items as CONTACTED, it doesn't disappear from the agenda view. It's
> very clearly marked as done in the original org file, but it stays in
> agenda. I've looked at all the extra variables for a custom agenda
> command, and there doesn't seem to be one that say "don't show completed
> items".

A simple question: Are you refreshing the agenda after marking the item
done (i.e., CONTACTED)? Similarly, do the inactive items (i.e.,
CONTACTED) remain when you invoke the agenda view the again.

Inactive todos do not disappear from the agenda until it is refreshed
(r).

> These items are part of a tag-todo statment, where the selecting regexp
> is a tag, not a particular todo keyword, so I wouldn't think I've done
> anything to force it to display these todo keywords.

Would you mind sharing your custom agenda command?

Best,
Matt

* Re: omitting done TODOs from custom agenda
@ 2010-09-14  0:54   ` Eric Abrahamsen
From: Eric Abrahamsen @ 2010-09-14  0:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Matt Lundin; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Tue, Sep 14 2010, Matt Lundin wrote:

>> I'm having a bit of confusion: I've created my own TODO sequences with
>> org-todo-keywords, in this case (sequence "CONTACT(n)" "REPLY(r)" "|"
>> "CONTACTED(e@)"). Then I've got a custom agenda defined using
>> org-agenda-custom-commands, where there's a weekly view on top and some
>> TODO items below. When I start this agenda view, and mark one of the
>> TODO items as CONTACTED, it doesn't disappear from the agenda view. It's
>> very clearly marked as done in the original org file, but it stays in
>> agenda. I've looked at all the extra variables for a custom agenda
>> command, and there doesn't seem to be one that say "don't show completed
>> items".
>
> A simple question: Are you refreshing the agenda after marking the item
> done (i.e., CONTACTED)? Similarly, do the inactive items (i.e.,
> CONTACTED) remain when you invoke the agenda view the again.
>
> Inactive todos do not disappear from the agenda until it is refreshed
> (r).

Hi Matt,

Yup, I am refreshing the agenda with r, or usually g. In the agenda,
when I first mark the item as done, the text of the heading turns green,
but when I next refresh, the text turns back to black. These completed
todos are still there even if I close the agenda and re-invoke it.

>> These items are part of a tag-todo statment, where the selecting regexp
>> is a tag, not a particular todo keyword, so I wouldn't think I've done
>> anything to force it to display these todo keywords.
>
> Would you mind sharing your custom agenda command?

Of course:

'(org-agenda-custom-commands (quote (("c" "Agenda plus contacts"
((agenda "" nil) (tags-todo "TODO=\"CONTACT\"" nil) (tags-todo
"TODO=\"REPLY\"" nil)) nil nil) ("g" "Get It Louder" ((agenda "" nil)
(tags-todo "Gil" nil)) nil))))

The problem occurs in both my "Agenda plus contacts" and "Get It
Louder", so maybe it's something with my custom todos?

(org-todo-keywords (quote ((sequence "TODO(t)" "WAITING(w@)" "|"
"DONE(d)" "CANCELLED(c@)") (sequence "CONTACT(n)" "REPLY(r)" "|"
"CONTACTED(e@)"))))

But I don't see how that could be interpreted as anything but CONTACTED
= done...

Thanks!

@ 2010-09-14  5:07   ` Eric Abrahamsen
From: Eric Abrahamsen @ 2010-09-14  5:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Matt Lundin; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Tue, Sep 14 2010, Matt Lundin wrote:

>> I'm having a bit of confusion: I've created my own TODO sequences with
>> org-todo-keywords, in this case (sequence "CONTACT(n)" "REPLY(r)" "|"
>> "CONTACTED(e@)"). Then I've got a custom agenda defined using
>> org-agenda-custom-commands, where there's a weekly view on top and some
>> TODO items below. When I start this agenda view, and mark one of the
>> TODO items as CONTACTED, it doesn't disappear from the agenda view. It's
>> very clearly marked as done in the original org file, but it stays in
>> agenda. I've looked at all the extra variables for a custom agenda
>> command, and there doesn't seem to be one that say "don't show completed
>> items".
>
> A simple question: Are you refreshing the agenda after marking the item
> done (i.e., CONTACTED)? Similarly, do the inactive items (i.e.,
> CONTACTED) remain when you invoke the agenda view the again.
>
> Inactive todos do not disappear from the agenda until it is refreshed
> (r).

I should add that the regular todo series still works properly, (TODO
--> DONE gets removed from the agenda), so it must be something to do
with my custom todo keywords...

@ 2010-09-15  5:07     ` Eric Abrahamsen
From: Eric Abrahamsen @ 2010-09-15  5:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

On Tue, Sep 14 2010, Eric Abrahamsen wrote:

> On Tue, Sep 14 2010, Matt Lundin wrote:
>
>> Eric Abrahamsen <eric@ericabrahamsen.net> writes:
>>
>>> I'm having a bit of confusion: I've created my own TODO sequences with
>>> org-todo-keywords, in this case (sequence "CONTACT(n)" "REPLY(r)" "|"
>>> "CONTACTED(e@)"). Then I've got a custom agenda defined using
>>> org-agenda-custom-commands, where there's a weekly view on top and some
>>> TODO items below. When I start this agenda view, and mark one of the
>>> TODO items as CONTACTED, it doesn't disappear from the agenda view. It's
>>> very clearly marked as done in the original org file, but it stays in
>>> agenda. I've looked at all the extra variables for a custom agenda
>>> command, and there doesn't seem to be one that say "don't show completed
>>> items".
>>
>> A simple question: Are you refreshing the agenda after marking the item
>> done (i.e., CONTACTED)? Similarly, do the inactive items (i.e.,
>> CONTACTED) remain when you invoke the agenda view the again.
>>
>> Inactive todos do not disappear from the agenda until it is refreshed
>> (r).
>
> Hi Matt,
>
> Yup, I am refreshing the agenda with r, or usually g. In the agenda,
> when I first mark the item as done, the text of the heading turns green,
> but when I next refresh, the text turns back to black. These completed
> todos are still there even if I close the agenda and re-invoke it.
>

>>> These items are part of a tag-todo statment, where the selecting regexp
>>> is a tag, not a particular todo keyword, so I wouldn't think I've done
>>> anything to force it to display these todo keywords.
>>
>> Would you mind sharing your custom agenda command?
>
> Of course:
>
> '(org-agenda-custom-commands (quote (("c" "Agenda plus contacts"
> ((agenda "" nil) (tags-todo "TODO=\"CONTACT\"" nil) (tags-todo
> "TODO=\"REPLY\"" nil)) nil nil) ("g" "Get It Louder" ((agenda "" nil)
> (tags-todo "Gil" nil)) nil))))
>
> The problem occurs in both my "Agenda plus contacts" and "Get It
> Louder", so maybe it's something with my custom todos?
>
> (org-todo-keywords (quote ((sequence "TODO(t)" "WAITING(w@)" "|"
> "DONE(d)" "CANCELLED(c@)") (sequence "CONTACT(n)" "REPLY(r)" "|"
> "CONTACTED(e@)"))))

Looks like the problem here was that CONTACT is a substring of
CONTACTED—whatever function decides if a todo keyword is pending or
completed apparently just reads the string until it finds the first
match (?). I changed it to SENT and everything worked fine. Dunno if
that's worth considering a bug, but it's certainly surprising behavior.

@ 2010-09-16  4:42       ` Matt Lundin
From: Matt Lundin @ 2010-09-16  4:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric Abrahamsen; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

> On Tue, Sep 14 2010, Eric Abrahamsen wrote:

>>> Would you mind sharing your custom agenda command?
>>

>> '(org-agenda-custom-commands (quote (("c" "Agenda plus contacts"
>> ((agenda "" nil) (tags-todo "TODO=\"CONTACT\"" nil) (tags-todo
>> "TODO=\"REPLY\"" nil)) nil nil) ("g" "Get It Louder" ((agenda "" nil)
>> (tags-todo "Gil" nil)) nil))))
>
> Looks like the problem here was that CONTACT is a substring of
> CONTACTED—whatever function decides if a todo keyword is pending or
> completed apparently just reads the string until it finds the first
> match (?). I changed it to SENT and everything worked fine. Dunno if
> that's worth considering a bug, but it's certainly surprising behavior.

I'd agree. The tags-todo search does seem to search for all instances of
the substring (CONTACT) rather than the word alone. This seems to be
inconsistent with the behavior of the tags match. E.g., in the following
sample:

** Testing
*** CONTACT Call so and so
*** CONTACTED Call Mr. Potato Head
*** TODO The quick brown fox					       :comp:
*** DONE jumped over the lazy dog				   :computer:

C-c a M "comp"

pulls up only "The quick brown fox," whereas

C-c a M TODO="CONTACT"

or

C-c a M /CONTACT

pull up both todos containing that substring.

For the time being, have you considered using the todo search instead of
tags-todo? That works correctly on my machine. E.g.,

(setq org-agenda-custom-commands
      '(("c" "Agenda plus contacts"
	 ((agenda "")
	  (todo "CONTACT")