* README.org on github
@ 2012-05-18 18:45 Rainer M Krug
From: Rainer M Krug @ 2012-05-18 18:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode, Eric Schulte

* Re: README.org on github
@ 2012-05-19  7:35 ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2012-05-19  7:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: R.M.Krug; +Cc: emacs-orgmode, Eric Schulte

Hi Rainer,

Rainer M Krug <r.m.krug@gmail.com> writes:

> I would like to use a README.org file on github, and also include code
> blocks in the README.org - is this possible?

No.

> What do I have to do to achieve this? The help on
> https://github.com/github/markup sounds kryptic to me.

The thing to do would be to improve org-ruby¹, which is used
to convert README.org into HTML.

Please contact org-ruby's author or github people for this.

¹ https://github.com/bdewey/org-ruby

--
 Bastien

* Re: README.org on github
@ 2012-05-19  9:23   ` Tom Regner
From: Tom Regner @ 2012-05-19  9:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Note: Resend to the list; I did send this mail to bastien alone, not the
list - mea culpa.

Hi,

Bastien <bzg@gnu.org> writes:

> Hi Rainer,
>
> Rainer M Krug <r.m.krug@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> I would like to use a README.org file on github, and also include code
>> blocks in the README.org - is this possible?
>
> No.

It depends - org-ruby in versions starting with 0.6 is at least a bit
more capable -- the version used with github-markup is quite old, as far
as I can tell; you won't get syntax highlighting, but better recognition
of org-blocks of different kind - you can install it as a ruby gem and
experiment a little on your local machine.

I installed github/markup locally and changed the Gemfile to enforce
versions from 0.6.0 upward -- at least my zshrc.org[fn:2] looked a lot better
processed with newer versions.

>> What do I have to do to achieve this? The help on
>> https://github.com/github/markup sounds kryptic to me.
>
> The thing to do would be to improve org-ruby¹, which is used
> to convert README.org into HTML.
>
> Please contact org-ruby's author or github people for this.

Maybe you could make yourself heard in the issue I opened [fn:1]; it is
actually the third issue I opened, I never got a response and closed the
other ones -- maybe my conclusions are wrong, and an update of org-ruby
wouldn't help (that much) -- but with more people actually requesting
better org-support, maybe it will get a bit more attention and progress.

kine regards,
Tom

> ¹ https://github.com/bdewey/org-ruby

[fn:1] https://github.com/github/markup/issues/117

[fn:2] https://github.com/tomterl/zshorg/blob/master/zshrc.org

* Re: README.org on github
@ 2012-05-20  4:03 ` François Pinard
From: François Pinard @ 2012-05-20  4:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Rainer M Krug <r.m.krug@gmail.com> writes:

> I would like to use a README.org file on github, and also include code
> blocks in the README.org - is this possible?

Hi, Rainer.  I'm not sure I'm really replying to your request, but
nevertheless hope my comments might be useful.

Having recently had a similar need, I gave into the following
compromise: I push README.md (in Markdown format) on GitHub, but
maintain my real sources as README.org (well, under a different name) at
home.  Directly quoting from the README.md file on GitHub:

   I currently much enjoy Org format for handling my own notes, and do
   not feel like switching to Markdown for original sources.  So,
   README.md gets derived automatically from the Org source.

   Some of my Org notes are private, and even for the public ones, there
   are :noexport: sections.  Because of these private parts, I do not
   make my Org sources directly available.  Nodemacs.org becomes an HTML
   file through the Org publishing feature, and that HTML file is later
   turned into a Markdown file using the impressive Pandoc tool.
   Climbing from generated HTML back to the structural intent is not a
   trivial job in my opinion.  Not only Pandoc did it well, it was
   blazing fast at it.  Moreover, as it is written in Haskell, it
   scratches on my prejudice of Haskell being essentially an academical
   language!

Pandoc is an installable package on the Ubuntu system I use, so very
easy to install.  To use, I added a Makefile containing:

# Internal goals

README.md: ~/fp/web/notes/Nodemacs.html
	pandoc -o $@ $^

to the project.  The script which regularly synchronizes my projects
from home to GitHub executes "make" in each project before pushing, this
ensures for this one that README.md is up to date.

I did not experiment with code blocks however, and cannot say how well
or bad it works.

François

P.S. - Before Pandoc, I tried "w3m -dump", which yielded something a
little too flat for my taste.  I also tried the generic exporter with
Markdown parametrization, which did not produce a usable enough result.

* Re: README.org on github
@ 2012-05-20 22:05   ` Neil Smithline
From: Neil Smithline @ 2012-05-20 22:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: François Pinard; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

I've been looking at this too. I go with Bastien. Work with me to
improve org-ruby gem or export to HTML before pushing to Git.

Neil Smithline
http://www.neilsmithline.com
Proud GNU Emacs user since 1986, v. 18.24.

@ 2012-05-21  8:38   ` Rainer M Krug
From: Rainer M Krug @ 2012-05-21  8:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bastien; +Cc: emacs-orgmode, Eric Schulte

* Re: README.org on github
@ 2012-05-21  8:43     ` Rainer M Krug
From: Rainer M Krug @ 2012-05-21  8:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode; +Cc: François Pinard

On 21/05/12 00:05, Neil Smithline wrote:
> I've been looking at this too. I go with Bastien. Work with me to improve org-ruby gem or
> export to HTML before pushing to Git.

Hi Neil,

Unfortunately I know nothing about ruby and it would have been a "nice to have" for me - So I'll
try the html route or for the time being stick with a simpler README.org file.

Cheers,

Rainer

@ 2012-05-21  8:57     ` Puneeth Chaganti
From: Puneeth Chaganti @ 2012-05-21  8:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rainer M Krug; +Cc: Bastien, emacs-orgmode, Eric Schulte

On Mon, May 21, 2012 at 2:08 PM, Rainer M Krug <r.m.krug@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 19/05/12 09:35, Bastien wrote:
>> Hi Rainer,
>>
>> Rainer M Krug <r.m.krug@gmail.com> writes:
>>
>>> I would like to use a README.org file on github, and also include code blocks in the
>>> README.org - is this possible?
>>
>> No.
>
> To bad ...

Actually, embedding code blocks in the README does work[1][2].  You
need to use all upper case keywords, i.e., BEGIN_SRC or BEGIN_EXAMPLE
instead of begin_src or begin_example.

[1] - https://github.com/punchagan/experiri/blob/master/README.org
[2] - https://raw.github.com/punchagan/experiri/master/README.org

* Re: README.org on github
@ 2012-05-21  9:02       ` Rainer M Krug
From: Rainer M Krug @ 2012-05-21  9:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Puneeth Chaganti; +Cc: Bastien, emacs-orgmode, Eric Schulte

* Re: README.org on github
@ 2012-05-21  9:57         ` Puneeth Chaganti
From: Puneeth Chaganti @ 2012-05-21  9:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: R.M.Krug; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Mon, May 21, 2012 at 2:32 PM, Rainer M Krug <r.m.krug@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 21/05/12 10:57, Puneeth Chaganti wrote:

>>> To bad ...
>>
>> Actually, embedding code blocks in the README does work[1][2].  You need to use all upper case
>> keywords, i.e., BEGIN_SRC or BEGIN_EXAMPLE instead of begin_src or begin_example.
>
> Great - then I will change this in my .org file.
>
> Now I just began to prefer the small-letter version...

Yes, I too prefer the lower-case version, and this has been fixed in
the latest version of org-ruby.  But, the version that GitHub uses is
a very old one, and somebody opened an issue [1] to update the version
being used.

@ 2012-05-21 10:05           ` Rainer M Krug
From: Rainer M Krug @ 2012-05-21 10:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Puneeth Chaganti; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

@ 2012-05-21 12:43       ` suvayu ali
From: suvayu ali @ 2012-05-21 12:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Puneeth Chaganti; +Cc: emacs-orgmode, Rainer M Krug

Hi Puneeth,

On Mon, May 21, 2012 at 10:57 AM, Puneeth Chaganti <punchagan@gmail.com> wrote:
> Actually, embedding code blocks in the README does work[1][2].  You
> need to use all upper case keywords, i.e., BEGIN_SRC or BEGIN_EXAMPLE
> instead of begin_src or begin_example.
>
> [1] - https://github.com/punchagan/experiri/blob/master/README.org
> [2] - https://raw.github.com/punchagan/experiri/master/README.org

I see source blocks formated as example blocks. Is that the same as you
are seeing? If so, I wouldn't call that support for source blocks. I
would expect to see syntax highlighting like pure source files on
GitHub.

--
Suvayu

* Re: README.org on github
@ 2012-05-21 13:29         ` Tom Regner
From: Tom Regner @ 2012-05-21 13:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: suvayu ali; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi,

suvayu ali <fatkasuvayu+linux@gmail.com> writes:

> Hi Puneeth,
>
> On Mon, May 21, 2012 at 10:57 AM, Puneeth Chaganti <punchagan@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Actually, embedding code blocks in the README does work[1][2].  You
>> need to use all upper case keywords, i.e., BEGIN_SRC or BEGIN_EXAMPLE
>> instead of begin_src or begin_example.
>>
>> [1] - https://github.com/punchagan/experiri/blob/master/README.org
>> [2] - https://raw.github.com/punchagan/experiri/master/README.org
>
> I see source blocks formated as example blocks. Is that the same as you
> are seeing? If so, I wouldn't call that support for source blocks. I
> would expect to see syntax highlighting like pure source files on
> GitHub.

org-ruby is in it's current form not capable to do that, but it's
currently actively developed [fn:1] (maybe not for org-mode standards :-D, the last
commit was 8 days ago) and there are a few items on the todo list.

And all shortcomings aside, an update on github/markups side would at
least make the usage of org-documents on github bearable.

Only sufficient demand for org-documents will foster betterment I guess.

Kind regards,
Tom

[fn:1] https://github.com/bdewey/org-ruby

* Re: README.org on github
@ 2012-05-22 15:54           ` suvayu ali
From: suvayu ali @ 2012-05-22 15:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tom Regner; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi Tom,

On Mon, May 21, 2012 at 3:29 PM, Tom Regner <tom@goochesa.de> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> suvayu ali <fatkasuvayu+linux@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> I see source blocks formated as example blocks. Is that the same as you
>> are seeing? If so, I wouldn't call that support for source blocks. I
>> would expect to see syntax highlighting like pure source files on
>> GitHub.
>
> org-ruby is in it's current form not capable to do that, but it's
> currently actively developed [fn:1] (maybe not for org-mode standards :-D, the last
> commit was 8 days ago) and there are a few items on the todo list.
>
> And all shortcomings aside, an update on github/markups side would at
> least make the usage of org-documents on github bearable.

Sorry if my comments seemed like a complaint/gripe. When an org-mode
user says, "feature bla" is supported they usually mean the whole
thing, with all the bells and whistles (e.g. source block would imply
with syntax highlighting). So I just wanted to clarify it was
incorrect to say "source blocks are supported".

> Only sufficient demand for org-documents will foster betterment I guess.

Yes I realise that. I have never interacted with GitHub staff for
feature requests. Being a long time org-mode user (post-6.33, that's
ages in org years :-p), maybe I should give that a try.

--
Suvayu

* Re: README.org on github
@ 2012-05-22 16:02             ` Puneeth Chaganti
From: Puneeth Chaganti @ 2012-05-22 16:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: suvayu ali; +Cc: Tom Regner, emacs-orgmode

On Tue, May 22, 2012 at 9:24 PM, suvayu ali <fatkasuvayu+linux@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Tom,
>
> On Mon, May 21, 2012 at 3:29 PM, Tom Regner <tom@goochesa.de> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> suvayu ali <fatkasuvayu+linux@gmail.com> writes:
>>
>>> I see source blocks formated as example blocks. Is that the same as you
>>> are seeing? If so, I wouldn't call that support for source blocks. I
>>> would expect to see syntax highlighting like pure source files on
>>> GitHub.
>>
>> org-ruby is in it's current form not capable to do that, but it's
>> currently actively developed [fn:1] (maybe not for org-mode standards :-D, the last
>> commit was 8 days ago) and there are a few items on the todo list.
>>
>> And all shortcomings aside, an update on github/markups side would at
>> least make the usage of org-documents on github bearable.
>>

> Sorry if my comments seemed like a complaint/gripe. When an org-mode
> user says, "feature bla" is supported they usually mean the whole
> thing, with all the bells and whistles (e.g. source block would imply
> with syntax highlighting). So I just wanted to clarify it was
> incorrect to say "source blocks are supported".

Yes, you are right.  Apologies for overlooking that.  But, this
feature shouldn't be too hard to add using albino or pygments.rb.  I
tried poking around org-ruby's code a little bit, but hit a roadblock,
which was a bit too much for my limited ruby skills.  I'll open an
issue on org-ruby and see where it goes.

>> Only sufficient demand for org-documents will foster betterment I guess.
>>

> Yes I realise that. I have never interacted with GitHub staff for
> feature requests. Being a long time org-mode user (post-6.33, that's
> ages in org years :-p), maybe I should give that a try.

I've tweeted to them at least a couple of times (in the past few
months) regarding this, but haven't yet got any response from them.
May be someone should send an email to support@github.com.  I got back
replies for other things in about a week or so, on email.  In general,
GitHub staff seem like a nice bunch of people to me.

Thanks!
Puneeth

* Re: README.org on github
@ 2012-05-22 23:16             ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2012-05-22 23:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: suvayu ali; +Cc: Tom Regner, emacs-orgmode

suvayu ali <fatkasuvayu+linux@gmail.com> writes:

>> Only sufficient demand for org-documents will foster betterment I guess.
>
> Yes I realise that. I have never interacted with GitHub staff for
> feature requests. Being a long time org-mode user (post-6.33, that's
> ages in org years :-p), maybe I should give that a try.

I will too -- I'm a shy user of github but I'm there and will try to
push for a better support if the need arises.

--
 Bastien

* Re: README.org on github
@ 2012-05-22 23:19               ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2012-05-22 23:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Puneeth Chaganti; +Cc: emacs-orgmode, Tom Regner

Puneeth Chaganti <punchagan@gmail.com> writes:

> I've tweeted to them at least a couple of times (in the past few
> months) regarding this, but haven't yet got any response from them.
> May be someone should send an email to support@github.com.  I got back
> replies for other things in about a week or so, on email.  In general,
> GitHub staff seem like a nice bunch of people to me.

Actually, I would love to see Org files supported on gitorious.org and
other free dVCS web services.  This would create a nice emulation among
them all.

--
 Bastien

* Re: README.org on github
@ 2012-08-03 18:19     ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2012-08-03 18:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tom Regner; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi Tom,

Tom Regner <tom@goochesa.de> writes:

> Maybe you could make yourself heard in the issue I opened [fn:1]; it is
> actually the third issue I opened, I never got a response and closed the
> other ones -- maybe my conclusions are wrong, and an update of org-ruby
> wouldn't help (that much) -- but with more people actually requesting
> better org-support, maybe it will get a bit more attention and progress.
>
> kine regards,
> Tom
>>
>> ¹ https://github.com/bdewey/org-ruby
>
> [fn:1] https://github.com/github/markup/issues/117

I pushed a +100 on this request.  I doubt it will change anything,
but who knows.  The best way to make sure something happens is to stick
to using org "markup" in github.

--
 Bastien

* Re: README.org on github
@ 2012-08-04  3:23       ` Waldemar Quevedo
From: Waldemar Quevedo @ 2012-08-04  3:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bastien; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Bastien,

My name is Waldemar, and I am the current maintainer of the org-ruby gem.
It looks like thanks to you (and many others who reported this)
github/markup was updated so that it uses the 0.7.0 org-ruby version of the
gem!
https://github.com/github/markup/commit/b0144938d42c4e0b0f308c4e9cb1e5a23c155c72

I know that org-ruby html export implementation is far from perfect, but
this will improve some things until a better solution that fits Github
backed is build. For example, syntax highlighting #+begin_src blocks
through Pygments should be available in Github with this release (in
theory).

Thanks a lot!

- Wally

On Sat, Aug 4, 2012 at 3:19 AM, Bastien <bzg@gnu.org> wrote:

> Hi Tom,
>
> Tom Regner <tom@goochesa.de> writes:
>
> > Maybe you could make yourself heard in the issue I opened [fn:1]; it is
> > actually the third issue I opened, I never got a response and closed the
> > other ones -- maybe my conclusions are wrong, and an update of org-ruby
> > wouldn't help (that much) -- but with more people actually requesting
> > better org-support, maybe it will get a bit more attention and progress.
> >
> > kine regards,
> > Tom
> >>
> >> น https://github.com/bdewey/org-ruby
> >
> > [fn:1] https://github.com/github/markup/issues/117
>
> I pushed a +100 on this request.  I doubt it will change anything,
> but who knows.  The best way to make sure something happens is to stick
> to using org "markup" in github.
>
> --
>  Bastien

* Re: README.org on github
@ 2012-08-04  7:15         ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2012-08-04  7:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Waldemar Quevedo; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Waldemar Quevedo <waldemar.quevedo@gmail.com> writes:

> My name is Waldemar, and I am the current maintainer of the org-ruby
> gem.
> It looks like thanks to you (and many others who reported this)
> github/markup was updated so that it uses the 0.7.0 org-ruby version
> of the gem!
> https://github.com/github/markup/commit/
> b0144938d42c4e0b0f308c4e9cb1e5a23c155c72

Wow, that's great news, thanks!

> I know that org-ruby html export implementation is far from perfect,
> but this will improve some things until a better solution that fits
> Github backed is build. For example, syntax highlighting #+begin_src
> blocks through Pygments should be available in Github with this
> release (in theory).

I tried both Elisp and C code in a #+begin_src block, but it didn't get
highlighted on github.  Not a big problem, really, but exactly the kind
of thing that will help README.org files take the world over :)

Again, great news,

--
 Bastien