* [New exporter] Should there be an option to kill/exit the dispatcher without using it
@ 2013-02-16 13:45 Charles
From: Charles @ 2013-02-16 13:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode Mode

System Windows 7, 64 bit
Emacs 24.2.1 (i386-mingw-nt6.1.7601) of 2012-08-28 on mRVIN
Org-mode 7.9.3 (7.9.3e-14-g981c6d @  c:/Org/lisp/)

It appears that there is no simple option in the export dispatcher to
either switch to and then kill or simply kill the export dispatcher UI
(or buffer) if you do not want to use it after you call it.

I called up the new dispatcher only for a look-see and no more.

After C-c C-e, the point remained in the original buffer. I then wanted
to kill/exit the dispatcher without using it.

1.	I attempted to switch to the dispatcher.

	a. C-x exported the original buffer to XOXO. (no chance to enter the
"b" key)

	b. M-x produced "Wrong type argument: character, 134217848." There was
no chance to enter "switch buffer" after M-x.

2.	Just for fun I entered "q" and it produced "No command associated
with key q."

In all three cases the dispatcher remained open but not visible. I was
then able to switch to the dispatcher and kill it.

Charlie Millar

* Re: [New exporter] Should there be an option to kill/exit the dispatcher without using it
@ 2013-02-16 13:51 ` Charles
From: Charles @ 2013-02-16 13:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

My mistake. I forgot about C-g.

Charlie

@ 2013-02-16 14:03 ` Charles
From: Charles @ 2013-02-16 14:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

I'm not sure if my immediate follow up was sent to the list.

I forgot about C-g.

Charlie Millar

@ 2013-02-16 14:09   ` Nicolas Goaziou
From: Nicolas Goaziou @ 2013-02-16 14:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Charles; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hello,

Charles <millarc@verizon.net> writes:

> I'm not sure if my immediate follow up was sent to the list.
>
> I forgot about C-g.
>
> Charlie Millar
>
> On 2/16/2013 8:45 AM, Charles wrote:
>> System Windows 7, 64 bit
>> Emacs 24.2.1 (i386-mingw-nt6.1.7601) of 2012-08-28 on mRVIN
>> Org-mode 7.9.3 (7.9.3e-14-g981c6d @  c:/Org/lisp/)
>>
>> It appears that there is no simple option in the export dispatcher to
>> either switch to and then kill or simply kill the export dispatcher UI
>> (or buffer) if you do not want to use it after you call it.
>>
>> I called up the new dispatcher only for a look-see and no more.
>>
>> After C-c C-e, the point remained in the original buffer. I then wanted
>> to kill/exit the dispatcher without using it.
>>
>> 1.    I attempted to switch to the dispatcher.
>>
>>      a. C-x exported the original buffer to XOXO. (no chance to enter
>> the "b" key)
>>
>>      b. M-x produced "Wrong type argument: character, 134217848." There
>> was no chance to enter "switch buffer" after M-x.
>>
>> 2.    Just for fun I entered "q" and it produced "No command associated
>> with key q."
>>
>> In all three cases the dispatcher remained open but not visible. I was
>> then able to switch to the dispatcher and kill it.

If you see XOXO export, you're not looking at the new exporter
interface.

Nicolas Goaziou

* Re: [New exporter] Should there be an option to kill/exit the dispatcher without using it
@ 2013-02-17  2:45     ` Charles
From: Charles @ 2013-02-17  2:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hello, Nicolas,

On 2/16/2013 9:09 AM, Nicolas Goaziou wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Charles <millarc@verizon.net> writes:
>
>> I'm not sure if my immediate follow up was sent to the list.
>>
>> I forgot about C-g.
>>
>> Charlie Millar
>>
>> On 2/16/2013 8:45 AM, Charles wrote:
>>> System Windows 7, 64 bit
>>> Emacs 24.2.1 (i386-mingw-nt6.1.7601) of 2012-08-28 on mRVIN
>>> Org-mode 7.9.3 (7.9.3e-14-g981c6d @  c:/Org/lisp/)
>>>
>>> It appears that there is no simple option in the export dispatcher to
>>> either switch to and then kill or simply kill the export dispatcher UI
>>> (or buffer) if you do not want to use it after you call it.
>>>
>>> I called up the new dispatcher only for a look-see and no more.
>>>
>>> After C-c C-e, the point remained in the original buffer. I then wanted
>>> to kill/exit the dispatcher without using it.
>>>
>>> 1.    I attempted to switch to the dispatcher.
>>>
>>>       a. C-x exported the original buffer to XOXO. (no chance to enter
>>> the "b" key)
>>>
>>>       b. M-x produced "Wrong type argument: character, 134217848." There
>>> was no chance to enter "switch buffer" after M-x.
>>>
>>> 2.    Just for fun I entered "q" and it produced "No command associated
>>> with key q."
>>>
>>> In all three cases the dispatcher remained open but not visible. I was
>>> then able to switch to the dispatcher and kill it.
>
> If you see XOXO export, you're not looking at the new exporter
> interface.
>

> Regards,

You are right. I was not looking at the new exporter. For that matter, I
did not understand how to invoke the new exporter in a Windows 7 set up.

That said, when I do load the new exporter as described in the release
notes 7.9.2 on my system, the "q" key does not show on the dispatcher
ui; however, pressing q does exit the dispatcher.

On my Cygwin setup (same machine) the export dispatcher does show q as
quit or exit. I update the org files in Cygwin using git, usually once
per day. I looked at org/lisp and find that the exporter is now
ox-[name]. Is that correct?

Perhaps when the ox-[name] files become available in the org/lisp in Org
8 this option will appear in a plain Windows set up (if there is such a
thing).

I therefore conclude that someone has already suggested adding the line
"q for quit", that it has been implemented in the bleeding edge and I
over looked any messages to that effect and my research was poorly executed.

Best, Charlie