* [bug] #+constants line has to be at column 0
@ 2014-03-11 11:17 Eric S Fraga
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2014-03-11 11:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Unlike some other #+ directives, the #+constants: one has to be at
column 0 or else it is not understood/parsed by org.  This has
consequences for lists.  See attached example.

[-- Attachment #2: examplebug.org --]
[-- Type: text/x-org, Size: 454 bytes --]

#+TITLE:     examplebug.org
#+AUTHOR:    Eric S Fraga

* Table constants
Assume that I have a list:
1. and in this list, one of the entries is a table
2. This is the table
#+constants: param=-5

   |   | X |  Y |
   | ! | x |  y |
   |---+---+----|
   | # | 1 | -4 |
   | # | 2 | -3 |
   | # | 3 | -2 |
   #+TBLFM: $3=$x+$param

1. The constants line cannot be indented as it is not understood if it is.
2. This means that the list has been interrupted.

Obviously, I can move the constants line elsewhere and/or use the $
directive within the table but I thought that this was an inconsistency
in the parsing of org files?  Maybe not?

Org up to date and verified with emacs -Q.

Thanks,
eric

--
: Eric S Fraga (0xFFFCF67D), Emacs 24.3.50.2, Org release_8.2.5h-687-g9d39aa

* Re: [bug] #+constants line has to be at column 0
@ 2014-03-12 18:04 ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2014-03-12 18:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric S Fraga; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi Eric,

> Unlike some other #+ directives, the #+constants: one has to be at
> column 0 or else it is not understood/parsed by org.

This is the same behavior than all #+ directives except these four:

#+TITLE:
#+AUTHOR:
#+DATE:
#+EMAIL:

Fontification should tell you in all cases.

HTH,

--
 Bastien

* Re: [bug] #+constants line has to be at column 0
@ 2014-03-12 18:18   ` Nicolas Goaziou
From: Nicolas Goaziou @ 2014-03-12 18:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bastien; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hello,

Bastien <bzg@gnu.org> writes:

> This is the same behavior than all #+ directives except these four:
>
> #+TITLE:
> #+AUTHOR:
> #+DATE:
> #+EMAIL:
>
> Fontification should tell you in all cases.

Most user-defined keywords ignore indentation
(e.g., #+LATEX_HEADER:, #+MACRO: ...).

I think we should remove this historical limitation, as there is no
reason to keep it any longer. The benefit is that such a change will be
backward compatible.

Nicolas Goaziou

* Re: [bug] #+constants line has to be at column 0
@ 2014-03-12 18:21     ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2014-03-12 18:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nicolas Goaziou; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi Nicolas,

Nicolas Goaziou <n.goaziou@gmail.com> writes:

> I think we should remove this historical limitation, as there is no
> reason to keep it any longer. The benefit is that such a change will be
> backward compatible.

Agreed, please go ahead,

--
 Bastien

* Re: [bug] #+constants line has to be at column 0
@ 2014-03-12 20:31       ` Nicolas Goaziou
From: Nicolas Goaziou @ 2014-03-12 20:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bastien; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Bastien <bzg@gnu.org> writes:

> Agreed, please go ahead,

Done.

Nicolas Goaziou

* Re: [bug] #+constants line has to be at column 0
@ 2014-03-13  7:40         ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2014-03-13  7:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nicolas Goaziou; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Nicolas Goaziou <n.goaziou@gmail.com> writes:

> Bastien <bzg@gnu.org> writes:
>
>> Agreed, please go ahead,
>
> Done.

Thanks!

--
 Bastien

* Re: [bug] #+constants line has to be at column 0
@ 2014-03-13  8:11     ` Eric S Fraga
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2014-03-13  8:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nicolas Goaziou; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Nicolas Goaziou <n.goaziou@gmail.com> writes:

> Hello,
>
> Bastien <bzg@gnu.org> writes:
>
>> This is the same behavior than all #+ directives except these four:
>>
>> #+TITLE:
>> #+AUTHOR:
>> #+DATE:
>> #+EMAIL:
>>
>> Fontification should tell you in all cases.
>
> Most user-defined keywords ignore indentation
> (e.g., #+LATEX_HEADER:, #+MACRO: ...).
>
> I think we should remove this historical limitation, as there is no
> reason to keep it any longer. The benefit is that such a change will be
> backward compatible.

Nicolas,

thanks for this.  Works very well now.

The fontification doesn't as I guess org-fontify-meta-lines-and-blocks-1
hasn't been updated.  I suggest adding "+constants:" to the first cond
entry in this function?

Thanks again,
eric

--
: Eric S Fraga (0xFFFCF67D), Emacs 24.3.50.2, Org release_8.2.5h-709-g99f1ff

* Re: [bug] #+constants line has to be at column 0
@ 2014-03-13 11:22       ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2014-03-13 11:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric S Fraga; +Cc: emacs-orgmode, Nicolas Goaziou

Hi Eric,

> The fontification doesn't as I guess org-fontify-meta-lines-and-blocks-1
> hasn't been updated.  I suggest adding "+constants:" to the first cond
> entry in this function?

this is now fixed in master -- *sorry* for not crediting you in the
commit message, my memory thought Alan reported this.

--
 Bastien

* Re: [bug] #+constants line has to be at column 0
@ 2014-03-13 15:54         ` Eric S Fraga
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2014-03-13 15:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bastien; +Cc: emacs-orgmode, Nicolas Goaziou

Bastien <bzg@gnu.org> writes:

> Hi Eric,
>
> Eric S Fraga <e.fraga@ucl.ac.uk> writes:
>
>> The fontification doesn't as I guess org-fontify-meta-lines-and-blocks-1
>> hasn't been updated.  I suggest adding "+constants:" to the first cond
>> entry in this function?
>
> this is now fixed in master -- *sorry* for not crediting you in the
> commit message, my memory thought Alan reported this.

Works perfectly!  Thanks.  No worries re: credit.  It's not something
that matters.  Org itself is thanks enough.

--
: Eric S Fraga (0xFFFCF67D), Emacs 24.3.50.2, Org release_8.2.5h-709-g99f1ff