* ox-latex and small caps links
@ 2015-04-22  0:59 David Dynerman
From: David Dynerman @ 2015-04-22  0:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi there,

I've been using links to render text in small caps when exporting to
LaTeX and HTML, e.g.

[[latex:textsc][this is in small caps]]

This worked fine in 8.2.10, but causes an error in latest. When I try to
export the file to LaTeX, the export fails with:

Unable to resolve link latex:textsc

Is this a bug? Is there a better way to render text in small caps? This
latex:XXXX trick in a link was the standard way to bracket text with any
latex command, right?

Thanks,
David

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: ox-latex and small caps links
@ 2015-04-22  1:27 ` Thomas S. Dye
From: Thomas S. Dye @ 2015-04-22  1:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Dynerman; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Aloha David,

David Dynerman <david@block-party.net> writes:

> This
> latex:XXXX trick in a link was the standard way to bracket text with any
> latex command, right?

The latex:XXXX link trick was invented for pre Org mode 8.  AFAIK, it
should still work, but I haven't been paying full attention.

However, in the meantime a syntax for inline latex code has been
developed:

,---------------------------------------------
| Code within @@latex:some code@@ a paragraph.
`---------------------------------------------

This new syntax might prove to be more robust in the long run.

hth,
Tom

--
Thomas S. Dye
http://www.tsdye.com

* Re: ox-latex and small caps links
@ 2015-04-22  1:41   ` David Dynerman
From: David Dynerman @ 2015-04-22  1:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thomas S. Dye; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

> ,---------------------------------------------
> | Code within @@latex:some code@@ a paragraph.
> `---------------------------------------------

This works great! Thanks Tom!

It might be nice to document this somehwere, to make the transition a
little easier when 8.3 rolls out and the old [[latex:textsc][Hello]]
links cause export errors.

I'd be happy to write something. Where would a good place be? The NEWS
file? The wiki?

@ 2015-04-22  2:59     ` Thomas S. Dye
From: Thomas S. Dye @ 2015-04-22  2:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Dynerman; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Aloha David,

David Dynerman <david@block-party.net> writes:

>> ,---------------------------------------------
>> | Code within @@latex:some code@@ a paragraph.
>> `---------------------------------------------
>
> This works great! Thanks Tom!

Good news.

> It might be nice to document this somehwere, to make the transition a
> little easier when 8.3 rolls out and the old [[latex:textsc][Hello]]
> links cause export errors.

I just tested the latex link type and it seems to work fine here with a
recent Org mode from master.

I executed the source code block and then exported the following buffer
to LaTeX.

,------------------------------------------------------------------------------
| #+LATEX_CLASS: article
| #+DATE: \today
|
| * Test link type
| This is [[latex:textsc][small caps]].
|
| * Link type                                                        :noexport:
| #+begin_src emacs-lisp
| (org-add-link-type
|  "latex" nil
|  (lambda (path desc format)
|    (cond
|     ((eq format 'html)
|      (format "<span class=\"%s\">%s</span>" path desc))
|     ((eq format 'latex)
|      (format "\\%s{%s}" path desc)))))
| #+end_src
`------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The LaTeX output looks fine:

,-----------------------------
| \begin{document}
|
| \tableofcontents
|
| \section{Test link type}
| \label{sec-1}
| This is \textsc{small caps}.
| \end{document}
`-----------------------------

Did your recent Org mode upgrade lose the latex link type somehow?

All the best,
Tom

--
Thomas S. Dye
http://www.tsdye.com

* Re: ox-latex and small caps links
@ 2015-04-22  9:08 ` Rasmus
From: Rasmus @ 2015-04-22  9:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi,

David Dynerman <david@block-party.net> writes:

> I've been using links to render text in small caps when exporting to
> LaTeX and HTML, e.g.
>
> [[latex:textsc][this is in small caps]]
>
> This worked fine in 8.2.10, but causes an error in latest. When I try to
> export the file to LaTeX, the export fails with:
>
> Unable to resolve link latex:textsc

Perhaps you did not add the latex link type.  You could also use a macro.

I use the following hack, which (tries to) captures words like ThIs, THIS,
or thIS and export is as \textsc{t}h\textsc{i}s, \textsc{this}, or
th\textsc{is}.  It won't manage e.g. (i).

For html you need to add support for a small-caps class.

  (defun rasmus/org-guess-textsc (content backend info)
    "Automatically downcase and wrap all-caps words in textsc.
The function is a bit slow...

TODO: Make the function work with headlines, but without doing it
on subsequent text.

TODO: Add ODT support."
    (if (org-export-derived-backend-p backend 'latex 'html)
        (let* (case-fold-search
               (latexp (org-export-derived-backend-p backend 'latex))
               (wrap (if latexp "\\textsc{%s}"
                         "<span class=\"small-caps\">%s</span>")))
          (replace-regexp-in-string
           "\\w+"
           (lambda (str)
             (if (or (string-equal str (downcase str))
                     (string-equal str (capitalize str)))
                 str
               (replace-regexp-in-string
                "[[:upper:]]+"
                (lambda (x) (format wrap (downcase x)))
                str t t)))
           content t t))
      content))

  (add-to-list 'org-export-filter-plain-text-functions
               'rasmus/org-guess-textsc)

I have also found the slantsc latex package useful for emphases with small
caps.

Here's what I have used for small caps in css.

   body {
       font-family: "Linux Libertine";
       -moz-font-feature-settings:"onum" 1, "kern" 1, "liga" 1;
       -moz-font-feature-settings:"onum=1, kern=1, liga=1";
       -ms-font-feature-settings:"onum" 1, "kern" 1, "liga" 1;
       -o-font-feature-settings:"onum" 1, "kern" 1, "liga" 1;
       -webkit-font-feature-settings:"onum" 1, "kern" 1, "liga" 1;
       font-feature-settings:"onum" 1, "kern" 1, "liga" 1;}

   .small-caps {
       -ms-font-feature-settings: "smcp";
       -moz-font-feature-settings: "smcp";
       -webkit-font-feature-settings: "smcp";
       font-feature-settings: "smcp";
       letter-spacing:.02em;
       font-variant-caps: small-caps;
       text-transform: lowercase;}

Hope it helps,
Rasmus

--
I hear there's rumors on the, uh, Internets. . .