* Bug: Feature Request: Specifying a 'master file' in included files [9.0.1 (9.0.1-elpa @ /home/schnecki/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20161118/)]
@ 2016-12-12 14:09 Manuel Schneckenreither
From: Manuel Schneckenreither @ 2016-12-12 14:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Remember to cover the basics, that is, what you expected to happen and
what in fact did happen.  You don't know how to make a good report?  See

     http://orgmode.org/manual/Feedback.html#Feedback

Your bug report will be posted to the Org mailing list.

I have a feature request. It would be awesome if there was a master file setup
similar to auctex such that whenever an export is started while residing in an
included file the export is automatically called from the master buffer (main file
with headers and all includes). This would generate the desired exported document
(html,LaTeX,...). Currently, something similar may be done using the publishing,
but this only works for HTML exports. I'm thinking of something like following at
the top of the included file:

# Set master in file introduction.org
#+MASTER_FILE: main.org  # possibly even with relative path, like ../main.org

With this it would be possible to safely switch to the main.org buffer (or even
open the file it if not opened) and then call the export from there. What do you
think?

Manuel

P.S.: I'm not really familiar with the org code, nor with elisp. So I can't
estimate the workload for this feature.

Emacs  : GNU Emacs 25.1.1 (x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.20.9)
 of 2016-09-18
Package: Org mode version 9.0.1 (9.0.1-elpa @ /home/schnecki/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20161118/)

@ 2016-12-12 14:10 Manuel Schneckenreither
From: Manuel Schneckenreither @ 2016-12-12 14:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

* Re: Bug: Feature Request: Specifying a 'master file' in included files [9.0.1 (9.0.1-elpa @ /home/schnecki/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20161118/)]
  2016-12-12 14:09 Bug: Feature Request: Specifying a 'master file' in included files [9.0.1 (9.0.1-elpa @ /home/schnecki/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20161118/)] Manuel Schneckenreither
@ 2016-12-14  9:27 ` Rasmus
From: Rasmus @ 2016-12-14  9:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi Manuel,

Manuel Schneckenreither <manuel.schneckenreither@uibk.ac.at> writes:

> I have a feature request. It would be awesome if there was a master file setup
> similar to auctex such that whenever an export is started while residing in an
> included file the export is automatically called from the master buffer (main file
> with headers and all includes). This would generate the desired exported document
> (html,LaTeX,...). Currently, something similar may be done using the publishing,
> but this only works for HTML exports. I'm thinking of something like following at
> the top of the included file:

Why does it only work for html export?  You can chose whichever export
backend you want for publishing projects.  There’s even a "current
project" option in C-c C-e.  Of course you’d need to explicitly add the
projects you need.

> # Set master in file introduction.org
> #+MASTER_FILE: main.org  # possibly even with relative path, like ../main.org

I have no opinion on whether it’s worth having such a keyword.

Thanks,
Rasmus

--
This space is left intentionally blank