* search not found leaves you in target buffer
@ 2017-01-03 21:33 Samuel Wales
From: Samuel Wales @ 2017-01-03 21:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

when links are followed, and search not found, you are left at the top
of the target file.  this makes sense if you intend to search
manually, but you still have to go back to fix the link.

can org be made to stay at the link if the link is broken?

The disease DOES progress.  MANY people have died from it.  And
ANYBODY can get it.

Denmark: free Karina Hansen NOW.
  UPDATE 2016-10: home, but not fully free

* Re: search not found leaves you in target buffer
@ 2017-01-04 22:38 ` Nicolas Goaziou
From: Nicolas Goaziou @ 2017-01-04 22:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Samuel Wales; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

> when links are followed,

What links? Do you have an example?

> and search not found, you are left at the top
> of the target file.  this makes sense if you intend to search
> manually, but you still have to go back to fix the link.

Or you could want to create the missing link in the target file.

> can org be made to stay at the link if the link is broken?

It is not clear to me that would be the best possible behaviour.

Nicolas Goaziou

* Re: search not found leaves you in target buffer
@ 2017-01-04 23:00   ` Samuel Wales
From: Samuel Wales @ 2017-01-04 23:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nicolas Goaziou; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On 1/4/17, Nicolas Goaziou <mail@nicolasgoaziou.fr> wrote:
>> can org be made to stay at the link if the link is broken?
>
> It is not clear to me that would be the best possible behaviour.

example is broken file links.

perhaps following a link could set the org mark so that
org-mark-ring-goto could return?

@ 2017-01-17  9:54     ` Nicolas Goaziou
From: Nicolas Goaziou @ 2017-01-17  9:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Samuel Wales; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

> On 1/4/17, Nicolas Goaziou <mail@nicolasgoaziou.fr> wrote:
>>> can org be made to stay at the link if the link is broken?
>>
>> It is not clear to me that would be the best possible behaviour.
>
> example is broken file links.
>
> perhaps following a link could set the org mark so that
> org-mark-ring-goto could return?

Good idea. I implemented that in master.

Nicolas Goaziou