* org-plus-contrib tar disappeared from orgmode.org/elpa/
@ 2018-01-02  4:11 Christopher League
From: Christopher League @ 2018-01-02  4:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

[-- Attachment #1.1.1: Type: text/plain, Size: 1054 bytes --]

Hi, this is a plea to retain versioned copies of the org-plus-contrib
tar in the <https://orgmode.org/elpa/> directory, because package
managers refer to them. Currently, the only versions present at that
location are 20171227 and 20171228.

I'm using NixOS, and my current nixpkgs tree refers to 20170911, which
cannot (re)-build now because the source is missing. Here's the Nix
specification referencing the now-broken URL:

<https://github.com/NixOS/nixpkgs-channels/blob/nixos-17.09/pkgs/applications/editors/emacs-modes/org-generated.nix>

The latest nixpkgs master does have it updated to 20171225 -- which is
*also* a broken link, just a week later. (And I prefer to use a 'stable'
channel rather than master.)

<https://github.com/NixOS/nixpkgs/blob/afac8c61e9542ad04cd9da0cd53f2e2aaaf1aeab/pkgs/applications/editors/emacs-modes/org-generated.nix>

I don't necessarily expect orgmode.org to retain these sources
indefinitely, but deleting them after a couple of weeks or months causes
all sorts of headaches.

Thanks for the consideration!

CL

[-- Attachment #1.1.2: Type: text/html, Size: 1785 bytes --]

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: org-plus-contrib tar disappeared from orgmode.org/elpa/
@ 2018-01-04 15:40 ` Nicolas Goaziou
From: Nicolas Goaziou @ 2018-01-04 15:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Christopher League; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hello,

Christopher League <league@contrapunctus.net> writes:

> Hi, this is a plea to retain versioned copies of the org-plus-contrib
> tar in the <https://orgmode.org/elpa/> directory, because package
> managers refer to them. Currently, the only versions present at that
> location are 20171227 and 20171228.

I see all the versioned copies at the location you point out. Can you
confirm they reappeared?

> I'm using NixOS, and my current nixpkgs tree refers to 20170911, which
> cannot (re)-build now because the source is missing. Here's the Nix
> specification referencing the now-broken URL:
>
> <https://github.com/NixOS/nixpkgs-channels/blob/nixos-17.09/pkgs/applications/editors/emacs-modes/org-generated.nix>

OOC, why

  homepage = "https://elpa.gnu.org/packages/org.html";

instead of

  homepage = "https://orgmode.org/"

?

Nicolas Goaziou

* Re: org-plus-contrib tar disappeared from orgmode.org/elpa/
@ 2018-01-04 15:55   ` Christopher League
From: Christopher League @ 2018-01-04 15:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nicolas Goaziou; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

> I see all the versioned copies at the location you point out. Can you
> confirm they reappeared?

Ah yes, that's better... everything is back and the package builds fine
now.

> OOC, why
>
>   homepage = "https://elpa.gnu.org/packages/org.html";
>
> instead of
>
>   homepage = "https://orgmode.org/"

That's a good point -- this is generated from a tool called `emacs2nix`
that converts any ELPA package into a nix specification. So that might
be from a template that assumes everything gets a homepage on
`elpa.gnu.org`. I'm not the maintainer, but I'll take a quick look to
see if it's easy to improve.

CL

* Re: org-plus-contrib tar disappeared from orgmode.org/elpa/
@ 2018-01-04 17:40 ` Achim Gratz
From: Achim Gratz @ 2018-01-04 17:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Christopher League writes:
> I'm using NixOS, and my current nixpkgs tree refers to 20170911, which
> cannot (re)-build now because the source is missing. Here's the Nix
> specification referencing the now-broken URL:
>
> <https://github.com/NixOS/nixpkgs-channels/blob/nixos-17.09/pkgs/applications/editors/emacs-modes/org-generated.nix>

Frankly, that's a setup you simply shouldn't be using.  Create a
(shallow) clone from Git and arrange for ORG_ADD_CONTRIB to pull in
whatever you really _need_ from contrib.

Regards,
Achim.