From: TEC <tecosaur@gmail.com>
To: org-mode-email <emacs-orgmode@gnu.org>
Subject: Re: Tables: missing multi-col/row syntax
Date: Wed, 04 Nov 2020 17:28:58 +0800	[thread overview]

I think we may be able get something promising by merging your
(Christian + Tom) ideas and David's. What if we have have a
#+TBLCELLMERGE key which acts as you describe, and /just using the
current table syntax/ have something like this (using the example
from
my first email)

| a | b  | c |
|---+----+---|
| hi    || a |
| two x || . |
| three || b |
|  c | - | . |
#+TBLCELLMERGE: @2$1..@4$2

This is /currently/ a valid Org table, which /currently/
autoformats to:
| a     | b | c |
|-------+---+---|
| hi    |   | a |
| two x |   | . |
| three |   | b |
| c     | - | . |

So with an autoformatting change + an overlay, perhaps we can do
this
nicely without any syntax changes 😃.

Thoughts?

Christian Moe <mail@christianmoe.com> writes:

> +1 for enabling table-cell merges in export. I imagine this
> would be a
> tricky job for developers, but it would relieve me as a user of
> much
> repeated fiddling with exported drafts.
>
> +1 for doing it without adding clutter to the table syntax, but
> specifying merges on a separate line like formulas, like Tom's
>
>   #+TBLCELLMERGE: @2..3$1
>
> (amended here to use the established '..' rather than hyphen for
> range)
>
> Though if we do add such a line, we might also think of a more
> general
> solution that could over time be extended with additional
> formatting
> options, e.g. something like
>
>   #+TBLSTYLE: @2..3$1='(:merge t)::@4$1='(:bgcolor yellow :color
>   red)
>
> But obviously that could open a can of worms, aka potentially
> endless
> feature requests requiring different implementations for each
> backend.
>
> Yours,
> Christian
>

> Tom Gillespie writes:
>
>> Any support for something like this would need to retain
>> backward
>> compatibility as well to avoid older versions reformatting the
>> tables
>> due to e.g. the presence of a double pipe. I also think that
>> extending
>> the table syntax in ways that makes it more complex than it
>> already
>> is, will be a non-starter. Thus, an alternate but more likely
>> approach
>> would be to allow specification of what cells to merge outside
>> the
>> table as is done for formulas. It is not elegant, but it would
>> be a
>> layer on top of existing syntax, and it would allow the
>> fundamental
>> structure of the table to remain the same -- rows of cells. For
>> example #+TBLCELLMERGE: @2-3$1 or something like that.
>> Thoughts?
>> Tom
>>
>> On Mon, Nov 2, 2020 at 1:37 PM TEC <tecosaur@gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> This is a pretty major 'feature request', but I think also an
>>> important
>>> one.
>>>
>>> When developing large tables, it can often be /necessary/ to
>>> start
>>> using
>>> multi-column/row cells for clarity, and sensible exporting
>>> results.
>>>
>>> As far as I am aware, in Org does not currently have any
>>> multi-col/row
>>> syntax. The only viable method seems to be re-implementing the