* org-time-stamp-custom-formats with out the name of the day of the week
@ 2022-08-31 15:59 Uwe Brauer
From: Uwe Brauer @ 2022-08-31 15:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi

I have set
  (setq org-time-stamp-custom-formats '(" %d.%m.%Y " . " %d.%m.%Y"))

Now a time-stamp gets displayed (german convention)

<31.08.2022>

However when I run

 org-toggle-time-stamp-overlays

I see <2022-08-21 Mi>

Which is well expected. So I am wondering, is there a way truly to have

<31.08.2022>   interpreted as a org time-stamp?

Regards

Uwe Brauer

--
I strongly condemn Putin's war of aggression against the Ukraine.
I support the ban of Russia from SWIFT.

* Re: org-time-stamp-custom-formats with out the name of the day of the week
@ 2022-09-01  7:16 ` Ihor Radchenko
From: Ihor Radchenko @ 2022-09-01  7:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Uwe Brauer; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Uwe Brauer <oub@mat.ucm.es> writes:

> Which is well expected. So I am wondering, is there a way truly to have
>
> <31.08.2022>   interpreted as a org time-stamp?

Timestamp format is hard-coded in Org syntax. See
https://orgmode.org/worg/dev/org-syntax.html#Timestamps

--
Ihor Radchenko,
Org mode contributor,

* Re: org-time-stamp-custom-formats with out the name of the day of the week
@ 2022-09-01 15:50   ` Uwe Brauer
From: Uwe Brauer @ 2022-09-01 15:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ihor Radchenko; +Cc: Uwe Brauer, emacs-orgmode

>>> "IR" == Ihor Radchenko <yantar92@gmail.com> writes:

> Uwe Brauer <oub@mat.ucm.es> writes:
>> Which is well expected. So I am wondering, is there a way truly to have
>>
>> <31.08.2022>   interpreted as a org time-stamp?

> Timestamp format is hard-coded in Org syntax. See
> https://orgmode.org/worg/dev/org-syntax.html#Timestamps

I see, but I just learned that also

<2022-09-01>

Is interpreted as a timestamp not only

<2022-09-01 Thu>

However although I have set

  (setq org-time-stamp-custom-formats '(" %d.%m.%Y " . " %d.%m.%Y")

The day of the week gets always inserted.

That is a bit inconsistent I would say.

Uwe

--
I strongly condemn Putin's war of aggression against the Ukraine.
I support the ban of Russia from SWIFT.
I support the EU membership of the Ukraine.

[-- Attachment #2: smime.p7s --]

* Re: org-time-stamp-custom-formats with out the name of the day of the week
@ 2022-09-02 13:01     ` Ihor Radchenko
From: Ihor Radchenko @ 2022-09-02 13:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Uwe Brauer; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Uwe Brauer <oub@mat.ucm.es> writes:

>> Timestamp format is hard-coded in Org syntax. See
>> https://orgmode.org/worg/dev/org-syntax.html#Timestamps
>
> I see, but I just learned that also
>
> <2022-09-01>
>
> Is interpreted as a timestamp not only
>
> <2022-09-01 Thu>

Yes. Day name is optional.

> However although I have set
>
>   (setq org-time-stamp-custom-formats '(" %d.%m.%Y " . " %d.%m.%Y")
>
> The day of the week gets always inserted.
>
> That is a bit inconsistent I would say.

I am not sure what you are referring to.
org-time-stamp-custom-formats is not changing the actual text. Just the
way timestamps are displayed when org-display-custom-times is non-nil.

--

@ 2022-09-02 13:23       ` Uwe Brauer
From: Uwe Brauer @ 2022-09-02 13:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ihor Radchenko; +Cc: Uwe Brauer, emacs-orgmode

>>> "IR" == Ihor Radchenko <yantar92@gmail.com> writes:

> Uwe Brauer <oub@mat.ucm.es> writes:
>>> Timestamp format is hard-coded in Org syntax. See
>>> https://orgmode.org/worg/dev/org-syntax.html#Timestamps
>>
>> I see, but I just learned that also
>>
>> <2022-09-01>
>>
>> Is interpreted as a timestamp not only
>>
>> <2022-09-01 Thu>

> Yes. Day name is optional.

>> However although I have set
>>
>> (setq org-time-stamp-custom-formats '(" %d.%m.%Y " . " %d.%m.%Y")
>>
>> The day of the week gets always inserted.
>>
>> That is a bit inconsistent I would say.

> I am not sure what you are referring to.
> org-time-stamp-custom-formats is not changing the actual text. Just the
> way timestamps are displayed when org-display-custom-times is non-nil.

I see, the question simply is this:

How can I achieve that org-time-stamp inserts the date *without* the day
name?!

--

@ 2022-09-02 13:33         ` Ihor Radchenko
From: Ihor Radchenko @ 2022-09-02 13:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Uwe Brauer; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Uwe Brauer <oub@mat.ucm.es> writes:

> I see, the question simply is this:
>
> How can I achieve that org-time-stamp inserts the date *without* the day
> name?!

This cannot currently be customized. However, you can change
org-time-stamp-formats constant. Removing the %a should be safe.

--

@ 2022-09-03  7:27           ` tomas
From: tomas @ 2022-09-03  7:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

On Fri, Sep 02, 2022 at 09:33:40PM +0800, Ihor Radchenko wrote:
> Uwe Brauer <oub@mat.ucm.es> writes:
>
> > I see, the question simply is this:
> >
> > How can I achieve that org-time-stamp inserts the date *without* the day
> > name?!
>
> This cannot currently be customized. However, you can change
> org-time-stamp-formats constant. Removing the %a should be safe.

FWIW, I have this in an (eval-after-load 'org ...)

  (setq org-time-stamp-formats
     '("<%Y-%m-%d>" ."<%Y-%m-%d %H:%M>"))

since years (> 5) and haven't observed any side effects. But then
I don't meet every nook and cranny of org (I bow in awe to those
who meet half of them :-)

Cheers

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: org-time-stamp-custom-formats with out the name of the day of the week
@ 2022-09-03 13:31             ` Ihor Radchenko
From: Ihor Radchenko @ 2022-09-03 13:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tomas; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

<tomas@tuxteam.de> writes:

>> This cannot currently be customized. However, you can change
>> org-time-stamp-formats constant. Removing the %a should be safe.
>
> FWIW, I have this in an (eval-after-load 'org ...)
>
>   (setq org-time-stamp-formats
>      '("<%Y-%m-%d>" ."<%Y-%m-%d %H:%M>"))
>
> since years (> 5) and haven't observed any side effects. But then
> I don't meet every nook and cranny of org (I bow in awe to those
> who meet half of them :-)

This only works because you changed org-time-stamp-formats in one of the
few safe ways.

Org declares org-time-stamp-formats and Org code treats its value as a
constant making various kinds of unsafe assumptions that can break
things if the value of org-time-stamp-formats is changed. For example,
it is assumed that first/last characters are triangular brackets; it is
assumed that the output can be parsed using parse-time-string; it is
assumed that 1..11 substring in the format contains a full date; it is
assumed that the formatted output conforms to timestamp syntax; etc.