* Org-mode for diary writing
@ 2009-11-16 17:26 T o n g
From: T o n g @ 2009-11-16 17:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi,

I found people are using org-mode for diary writing in recent mlist
archive, but wasn't able to find such tutorials.

Anyone can enlighten me with such tutorial, which is for org-mode newbies
and focusing on how to make most use of applicable org-mode features, and
maybe a bonus "best-practice diary writing with org-mode"?

Thanks

--
Tong (remove underscore(s) to reply)
  http://xpt.sourceforge.net/techdocs/

* Re: Org-mode for diary writing
@ 2009-11-16 20:27 ` Ian Barton
From: Ian Barton @ 2009-11-16 20:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: T o n g; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

T o n g wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I found people are using org-mode for diary writing in recent mlist
> archive, but wasn't able to find such tutorials.
>
> Anyone can enlighten me with such tutorial, which is for org-mode newbies
> and focusing on how to make most use of applicable org-mode features, and
> maybe a bonus "best-practice diary writing with org-mode"?

I am not aware of any tutorials. However, at the moment I use remember
with the following template:

("Journal" ?j "* %^U :journal:\n\n** %^{Prompt}  %i%&\n  %!"
"~/Documents/org/journal/journal_2009.org")

This stores entries as a headline under the date so an entry will look like:

* [2009-11-15 Sun]
:journal:

** Ironbridge Gorge.
Your text goes here.

This doesn't attempt to avoid duplicate date entries from calling the
template twice. If I have already created an entry for that day I simply
  open my journal file and append stuff under that heading.

At the end of each month I create a month heading and move each day
under it, like:

* 2009-08 August
** [2009-08-31 Mon]
  Fetched More Logs from the Wood.

I keep each year in a separate file. I could make this much more
automated, but it's just as easy to do it manually.

You might also want to see my recent message "[Orgmode] org-datetree
Some Suggestions". Carsten has recently introduced the datetree
directive in remember templates, which should be very useful for
automated diary entries.

Ian.

* Re: Org-mode for diary writing
@ 2009-11-18  2:57   ` Marcelo de Moraes Serpa
From: Marcelo de Moraes Serpa @ 2009-11-18  2:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ian Barton; +Cc: emacs-orgmode, T o n g

I use journal.el, it simply creates a new file in a specified directory with
the current date timestamp. I have modified it to create files with the .org
extension. I don't know why, but I prefer daily entries to be in separate
files.

Marcelo.

@ 2009-11-18 10:09 ` Martin Pohlack
From: Martin Pohlack @ 2009-11-18 10:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: T o n g, emacs-orgmode

Hi T o n g,

T o n g wrote:
> I found people are using org-mode for diary writing in recent mlist
> archive, but wasn't able to find such tutorials.
>
> Anyone can enlighten me with such tutorial, which is for org-mode newbies
> and focusing on how to make most use of applicable org-mode features, and
> maybe a bonus "best-practice diary writing with org-mode"?

No tutorial, but this is how I write my journal:

(custom-set-variables
 '(org-remember-templates
   (quote (("Journal" 106 "* %^{Eintrag}%?%i%&" "~/Daten/Journal.org"
            return_formated_date nil)))))

With this helper function:

;;;
;;; time and date, date in international format: YYYY-MM-DD
;;;
(defun return_formated_date ()
  (let ((time (decode-time)))
    (format "%d-%02d-%02d" (nth 5 time) (nth 4 time) (nth 3 time))))

My journal looks like this:

* 2009-11-13
*** abc
*** def

Cheers,
Martin

* Re: org-mode for diary writing
@ 2009-11-18 20:42 Eric S Fraga
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2009-11-18 20:42 UTC (permalink / raw)

(apologies for breaking the thread but I had already deleted all
relevant messages when I realised that I could hopefully contribute to
it)

T o n g wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I found people are using org-mode for diary writing in recent mlist
> archive, but wasn't able to find such tutorials.
>
> Anyone can enlighten me with such tutorial, which is for org-mode newbies
> and focusing on how to make most use of applicable org-mode features, and
> maybe a bonus "best-practice diary writing with org-mode"?

With the recent addition of diary functions to the agenda view mode in
org-mode, I find the easiest way of keeping a journal is to simply 'i
d' in the agenda view.  If you've set up an org-mode diary file
(org-agenda-diary-file) which differs from the Emacs diary file, then
the diary insertion commands from the agenda view create quite nicely
formatted journal type of entries.

So, instead of using remember, simply pop up the agenda view ('C-c a'
in my case) and type 'i d' for adding an entry for today.  For a
journal entry for any other day, do 'C-c a', then 'j' followed by a
date specification to jump to a particular day and finally 'i d' to
insert a diary/journal entry.

HTH,
eric