* Displaying your Org agenda after idle time
@ 2010-03-18  9:30 John Wiegley
From: John Wiegley @ 2010-03-18  9:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Org-mode Mode

I have the following snippet in my .emacs file, which I find very useful.  Basically what it does is that if I don't touch my Emacs for 5 minutes, it displays the current agenda.  This keeps my tasks "always in mind" whenever I come back to Emacs after doing something else, whereas before I had a tendency to forget that it was there.

John

(defun jump-to-org-agenda ()
  (interactive)
  (let ((buf (get-buffer "*Org Agenda*"))
	wind)
    (if buf
	(if (setq wind (get-buffer-window buf))
	    (select-window wind)
	  (if (called-interactively-p)
	      (progn
		(select-window (display-buffer buf t t))
		(org-fit-window-to-buffer)
		;; (org-agenda-redo)
		)
	    (with-selected-window (display-buffer buf)
	      (org-fit-window-to-buffer)
	      ;; (org-agenda-redo)
	      )))
      (call-interactively 'org-agenda-list)))
  ;;(let ((buf (get-buffer "*Calendar*")))
  ;;  (unless (get-buffer-window buf)
  ;;    (org-agenda-goto-calendar)))
  )

(run-with-idle-timer 300 t 'jump-to-org-agenda)

* Re: Displaying your Org agenda after idle time
@ 2010-03-18 18:17 ` Jason Dunsmore
From: Jason Dunsmore @ 2010-03-18 18:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John Wiegley; +Cc: Org-mode Mode

I've been searching for a good way to remember to look at my agenda.
Great idea!

* Re: Displaying your Org agenda after idle time
@ 2010-03-21 21:45 ` Ross A. Laird
From: Ross A. Laird @ 2010-03-21 21:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

John Wiegley <jwiegley@gmail.com> writes:

> I have the following snippet in my .emacs file, which I find very
> useful. Basically what it does is that if I don't touch my Emacs for 5
> minutes, it displays the current agenda. This keeps my tasks "always
> in mind" whenever I come back to Emacs after doing something else,
> whereas before I had a tendency to forget that it was there.
>
> John
>
> (defun jump-to-org-agenda ()
>   (interactive)
>   (let ((buf (get-buffer "*Org Agenda*"))
> 	wind)
>     (if buf
> 	(if (setq wind (get-buffer-window buf))
> 	    (select-window wind)
> 	  (if (called-interactively-p)
> 	      (progn
> 		(select-window (display-buffer buf t t))
> 		(org-fit-window-to-buffer)
> 		;; (org-agenda-redo)
> 		)
> 	    (with-selected-window (display-buffer buf)
> 	      (org-fit-window-to-buffer)
> 	      ;; (org-agenda-redo)
> 	      )))
>       (call-interactively 'org-agenda-list)))
>   ;;(let ((buf (get-buffer "*Calendar*")))
>   ;;  (unless (get-buffer-window buf)
>   ;;    (org-agenda-goto-calendar)))
>   )
>
> (run-with-idle-timer 300 t 'jump-to-org-agenda)

This is fantastically useful.
Thanks very much!

Ross

--
Ross A. Laird, PhD
www.rosslaird.com

* Re: Re: Displaying your Org agenda after idle time
@ 2010-03-23  5:15   ` Alan E. Davis
From: Alan E. Davis @ 2010-03-23  5:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ross A. Laird; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

I like this also.  It would be fantastic if the agenda were displayed,
as it is now, while a simple keystroke would return one to the point
he was at when the function was called.   I might one day have time to
try to figure out how to do this, not saying I would be able to do so
easily.

Alan Davis

@ 2010-03-23  7:38     ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2010-03-23  7:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alan E. Davis; +Cc: emacs-orgmode, Ross A. Laird

On Mar 23, 2010, at 6:15 AM, Alan E. Davis wrote:

> I like this also.  It would be fantastic if the agenda were displayed,
> as it is now, while a simple keystroke would return one to the point
> he was at when the function was called.   I might one day have time to
> try to figure out how to do this, not saying I would be able to do so
> easily.

Basically:

Use a variable to store the (current-window-configuration) and then
have a
separate function restoring that configuration using set-window-
configuration.

- Carsten

> Alan Davis
>
> On Sun, Mar 21, 2010 at 9:45 PM, Ross A. Laird <ross@rosslaird.com>
> wrote:
>> John Wiegley <jwiegley@gmail.com> writes:
>>
>>> I have the following snippet in my .emacs file, which I find very
>>> useful. Basically what it does is that if I don't touch my Emacs
>>> for 5
>>> minutes, it displays the current agenda. This keeps my tasks "always
>>> in mind" whenever I come back to Emacs after doing something else,
>>> whereas before I had a tendency to forget that it was there.
>>>
>>> John
>>>
>>> (defun jump-to-org-agenda ()
>>>   (interactive)
>>>   (let ((buf (get-buffer "*Org Agenda*"))
>>>       wind)
>>>     (if buf
>>>       (if (setq wind (get-buffer-window buf))
>>>           (select-window wind)
>>>         (if (called-interactively-p)
>>>             (progn
>>>               (select-window (display-buffer buf t t))
>>>               (org-fit-window-to-buffer)
>>>               ;; (org-agenda-redo)
>>>               )
>>>           (with-selected-window (display-buffer buf)
>>>             (org-fit-window-to-buffer)
>>>             ;; (org-agenda-redo)
>>>             )))
>>>       (call-interactively 'org-agenda-list)))
>>>   ;;(let ((buf (get-buffer "*Calendar*")))
>>>   ;;  (unless (get-buffer-window buf)
>>>   ;;    (org-agenda-goto-calendar)))
>>>   )
>>>
>>> (run-with-idle-timer 300 t 'jump-to-org-agenda)
>>>

>> This is fantastically useful.
>> Thanks very much!
>>
>> Ross
>>
>> --
>> Ross A. Laird, PhD
>> www.rosslaird.com

- Carsten

* RE: Displaying your Org agenda after idle time
@ 2010-03-23 12:36 Marvin Doyley
From: Marvin Doyley @ 2010-03-23 12:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode