* File-level execute permissions?
@ 2010-09-24 13:11 Bill Harris
From: Bill Harris @ 2010-09-24 13:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

* Re: File-level execute permissions?
@ 2010-09-25  5:40 ` Noorul Islam
From: Noorul Islam @ 2010-09-25  5:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bill Harris; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Fri, Sep 24, 2010 at 6:41 PM, Bill Harris
<bill_harris@facilitatedsystems.com> wrote:

> I understand at least the obvious risks in executing source code blocks
> inside an unknown org file, but, when I created the org file myself, it
> would be nice to be able to export the file without confirming execution
> 20+ times.
>
> Is there a header element I can set that asks one time for the entire
> file (or session, perhaps) for execute permission?  I think that would
> be safer than blindly turning on permission, for I'd at least get one
> opportunity to abort exporting if I was surprised by the existence of
> src blocks.

How about setting `org-confirm-babel-evaluate' to nil

Thanks and Regards
Noorul

* Re: File-level execute permissions?
@ 2010-09-25 23:29   ` Bill Harris
From: Bill Harris @ 2010-09-25 23:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Noorul Islam; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Noorul Islam <noorul@noorul.com> writes:

> How about setting `org-confirm-babel-evaluate' to nil

Noorul,

Thank you for the suggestion.  Setting that to nil, according to the
documentation, prevents _any_ confirmation requests in any file, at
least as best as I can tell.  I don't really want that.

What I want is to have to confirm once at the first code block in an org
file and then have the rest go without confirmation.  Since I don't see
the code blocks anyway when I get asked for confirmation, I'm not sure
there's a lot of benefit to a confirmation request on each block, but I
do want a reminder that there is one or more code blocks in a file
before I blithely execute the entire thing.

Bill
--
Bill Harris                  http://makingsense.facilitatedsystems.com/
Facilitated Systems                              Everett, WA 98208 USA

* Re: File-level execute permissions?
@ 2010-09-27 13:46     ` Eric Schulte
From: Eric Schulte @ 2010-09-27 13:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bill Harris; +Cc: emacs-orgmode, Noorul Islam

Hi Bill,

The `org-confirm-babel-evaluate' variable can be set to a function which
can query the user to confirm code block evaluation.  The following code
does two things.
1) it creates and maintains a list of the files that the user has said
   are safe for evaluation (this list will need to be rebuilt every time
   you re-start Emacs)
2) it shows the language and body of the code block to the user when
   querying for evaluation

(setq babel-safe-files '())

(defun my-babel-confirmation (lang body)
  (let ((file (buffer-file-name)))
    (if (member file babel-safe-files)
        nil
      (if (y-or-n-p
           (format
            (concat "#+begin_src %s\n%s#+end_src\n"
                    "Evaluate this code block "
                    "(and all others in this file) "
                    "on your system? ") lang body))
          (prog1 nil
            (setq babel-safe-files (cons file babel-safe-files)))
        t))))

(setq org-confirm-babel-evaluate #'my-babel-confirmation)

This above can be added to your configuration to get close to the
functionality you describe.

I agree that the default confirmation should show the code block in
question when asking if it should be evaluated.  I'll add this to our
development task list.

Note: the above requires that you pull down the latest version of
Org-mode.

Best -- Eric

@ 2010-09-28  1:08       ` Bill Harris
From: Bill Harris @ 2010-09-28  1:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric Schulte; +Cc: emacs-orgmode, Noorul Islam

"Eric Schulte" <schulte.eric@gmail.com> writes:

> The `org-confirm-babel-evaluate' variable can be set to a function which
> can query the user to confirm code block evaluation.  The following code
> does two things.
> 1) it creates and maintains a list of the files that the user has said
>    are safe for evaluation (this list will need to be rebuilt every time
>    you re-start Emacs)
> 2) it shows the language and body of the code block to the user when
>    querying for evaluation

Eric,

That sounds like what I was seeking.  Thanks!

> Note: the above requires that you pull down the latest version of
> Org-mode.

I've got 7.01h.  I presume you mean something newer than that?

Bill
--

@ 2010-09-28 17:40         ` Eric Schulte
From: Eric Schulte @ 2010-09-28 17:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bill Harris; +Cc: emacs-orgmode, Noorul Islam

Bill Harris <bill_harris@facilitatedsystems.com> writes:

> "Eric Schulte" <schulte.eric@gmail.com> writes:
[...]
>> Note: the above requires that you pull down the latest version of
>> Org-mode.
>
> I've got 7.01h.  I presume you mean something newer than that?

Yes, you'll need to pull a copy of Org-mode from the git repository,
anything pulled after the date of my last message will work.

git clone git://repo.or.cz/org-mode.git

For information on git see http://git-scm.com/

Best -- Eric

@ 2010-09-29  2:36           ` Bill Harris
From: Bill Harris @ 2010-09-29  2:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric Schulte; +Cc: emacs-orgmode, Noorul Islam

"Eric Schulte" <schulte.eric@gmail.com> writes:

> Yes, you'll need to pull a copy of Org-mode from the git repository,
> anything pulled after the date of my last message will work.

Eric,

Thanks,

Bill