* org-mode not in elpa package list
@ 2011-08-29 16:22 Kevin Emerson
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Kevin Emerson @ 2011-08-29 16:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hello,
I have run ELPAs packge-list to update to the newest version of org-mode
and I do not see org-mode in the package list.  The FAQ for org-mode
suggests I post this discrepancy here.

Cheers,
Kevin

* Re: org-mode not in elpa package list
@ 2011-08-30 13:59 ` Joost Helberg
From: Joost Helberg @ 2011-08-30 13:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kemerson; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Kevin,

this line should appear in the list of packages
(menu Options->Manage Emacs Packages):

  org               20110818    available  Outline-based notes management and organizer

Note that the name of the package has no -mode suffix.

regards,

Joost

--
Snow B.V.        http://snow.nl

* Re: org-mode not in elpa package list
@ 2011-08-30 14:11 ` Jambunathan K
From: Jambunathan K @ 2011-08-30 14:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kemerson; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Kevin Emerson <kemerson@uoregon.edu> writes:

> Hello,
> I have run ELPAs packge-list to update to the newest version of org-mode
> and I do not see org-mode in the package list.  The FAQ for org-mode
> suggests I post this discrepancy here.

I think you are
1. using emacs-23
2. you are using package.el downloaded from tromey.com.
3. You CANNOT do M-x list-packages RET
4. C-h v package-archives RET does NOT report http://elpa.gnu.org/packages

If ALL the above statements are true (I no doubt they are) do this:

1. M-x locate-library RET package RET
2. Remove/Delete the corresponding package.el and package.elc.
3. Now follow the steps outlined under:
   http://orgmode.org/worg/org-faq.html#installing-elpa

   (Note that you have rename the downloaded file to `package.el')

@ 2011-08-31 16:23 ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2011-08-31 16:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kemerson; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi Kevin,

Kevin Emerson <kemerson@uoregon.edu> writes:

> I have run ELPAs packge-list to update to the newest version of org-mode
> and I do not see org-mode in the package list.  The FAQ for org-mode
> suggests I post this discrepancy here.

I hope the replies you already got led you somewhere.

As pointing by rms, "ELPA" might be confusing.  Let's try to be more
specific here and say either GNU ELPA or Tromey ELPA.  Org should be
available through GNU ELPA¹.

¹ http://elpa.gnu.org

 Bastien