* html-export - limit size of pic to page-size?
@ 2013-02-03  2:41 Thorsten Jolitz
From: Thorsten Jolitz @ 2013-02-03  2:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi List,

when exporting plantuml code blocks to .png files, the resulting
pictures can be tiny or really huge, depending on the class hierarchy
modeled.

Is it possible to restrict the size of the graphic to the html
page-size, no matter how big the resulting .png file actually is?

--
cheers,
Thorsten

* Re: html-export - limit size of pic to page-size?
@ 2013-02-03  5:44 ` Eric S Fraga
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2013-02-03  5:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thorsten Jolitz; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Thorsten Jolitz <tjolitz@googlemail.com> writes:

> Hi List,
>
> when exporting plantuml code blocks to .png files, the resulting
> pictures can be tiny or really huge, depending on the class hierarchy
> modeled.
>
> Is it possible to restrict the size of the graphic to the html
> page-size, no matter how big the resulting .png file actually is?

Have you looked at the section in the manual on exporting to HTML,
specifically the section entitled "Images in HTML export"?  You can
specify whatever HTML attributes you want for the image.

By the way, I am not sure what you mean by "html page-size" as HTML has
no concept of pages, per se.  Maybe you mean the width?

HTH,
eric

--
: Eric S Fraga, GnuPG: 0xC89193D8FFFCF67D
: in Emacs 24.3.50.1 and Org release_7.9.3d-898-g005917

* Re: html-export - limit size of pic to page-size?
@ 2013-02-03  9:25   ` Thorsten Jolitz
From: Thorsten Jolitz @ 2013-02-03  9:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

> Thorsten Jolitz <tjolitz@googlemail.com> writes:

> Have you looked at the section in the manual on exporting to HTML,
> specifically the section entitled "Images in HTML export"?  You can
> specify whatever HTML attributes you want for the image.

OK, thanks for the hint.

> By the way, I am not sure what you mean by "html page-size" as HTML has
> no concept of pages, per se.  Maybe you mean the width?

Yes, 'width' is what I meant by 'page-size'.

--

@ 2013-02-03 12:20 ` Dieter Wilhelm
From: Dieter Wilhelm @ 2013-02-03 12:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Thorsten Jolitz <tjolitz@googlemail.com> writes:

> Hi List,
>
> when exporting plantuml code blocks to .png files, the resulting
> pictures can be tiny or really huge, depending on the class hierarchy
> modeled.
>
> Is it possible to restrict the size of the graphic to the html
> page-size, no matter how big the resulting .png file actually is?

For example

#+ATTR_HTML: width="600"

--
Best wishes

H. Dieter Wilhelm
Darmstadt
Germany

* Re: html-export - limit size of pic to page-size?
@ 2013-02-03 14:41   ` Thorsten Jolitz
From: Thorsten Jolitz @ 2013-02-03 14:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Dieter Wilhelm <dieter@duenenhof-wilhelm.de> writes:

> For example
>
> #+ATTR_HTML: width="600"

Actually my question was meant with regards to Org-babel code blocks,
e.g.

,--------------------------------------------
| +name: class-diagram
| +begin_src plantuml :file class-diagram.png
`--------------------------------------------

Is it possible to specify the html 'width=600' or 'width=auto' in the
'begin_src' line or in the subtree-properties - or do I have to let my
program write the

,------------------------
| +ATTR_HTML: width="600"
`------------------------

on top of the inserted link to 'class-diagram.png' when exporting to
html?

--

@ 2013-02-03 15:42     ` Dieter Wilhelm
From: Dieter Wilhelm @ 2013-02-03 15:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Thorsten Jolitz <tjolitz@googlemail.com> writes:

> Dieter Wilhelm <dieter@duenenhof-wilhelm.de> writes:
>
>> For example
>>
>> #+ATTR_HTML: width="600"
>
> Actually my question was meant with regards to Org-babel code blocks,
> e.g.
>
> ,--------------------------------------------
> | +name: class-diagram
> | +begin_src plantuml :file class-diagram.png
> `--------------------------------------------

What is plantuml?  Something like gnuplot? Can't you create a png with
exactly the resolution you want?

        Dieter

--
Best wishes

H. Dieter Wilhelm
Darmstadt
Germany

* Re: html-export - limit size of pic to page-size?
@ 2013-02-03 18:16       ` Thorsten Jolitz
From: Thorsten Jolitz @ 2013-02-03 18:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Dieter Wilhelm <dieter@duenenhof-wilhelm.de> writes:

> What is plantuml?  Something like gnuplot? Can't you create a png with
> exactly the resolution you want?

Nice tip, thanks, it did not come to my mind that the problem might be
much easier to solve on the plantuml (textbased software for UML diagram
creation) side than on the Org-mode side, but it is - there is a 'scale'
command for zoom-functionality in plantuml:

,-----------------
| scale 1.5
| scale 2/3
| scale 200 width
| scale 200 height
| scale 200*100

are examples.

Although it seems impossible to determine the right relative scale
factor without knowing the grafic size a priori, this way I can offer a
pic scaled down to absolute width=600 and a download link to the
original size png.

--

@ 2013-02-03 22:44     ` Eric S Fraga
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2013-02-03 22:44 UTC (permalink / raw)