* Markup (blod for instance) over line breaks
@ 2013-10-13 18:49 Dror Atariah
From: Dror Atariah @ 2013-10-13 18:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Dear org-moders,

It might be terribly simple, but I failed to find a solution. How can I mark several words as bold (or emphasized or any similar markup), in particular if the words spans over *more then one line*?

A similar problem can occur when one is pasting a long line into an org-mode buffer and then, after it is being broken into shorter lines, you try to make it bold.

The documentation (http://orgmode.org/org.html#Emphasis-and-monospace) states that this kind of markup is aimed at words - so it might not support sentences and in particular long ones... Is it correct?

Thanks in advance,
Dror

* Re: Markup (blod for instance) over line breaks
@ 2013-10-13 19:38 ` Marcin Borkowski
From: Marcin Borkowski @ 2013-10-13 19:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Dnia 2013-10-13, o godz. 20:49:30
Dror Atariah <drorata@gmail.com> napisał(a):

> Dear org-moders,
>
> It might be terribly simple, but I failed to find a solution. How can
> I mark several words as bold (or emphasized or any similar markup),
> in particular if the words spans over *more then one line*?
>
> A similar problem can occur when one is pasting a long line into an
> org-mode buffer and then, after it is being broken into shorter
> lines, you try to make it bold.
>
> The documentation
> (http://orgmode.org/org.html#Emphasis-and-monospace) states that this
> kind of markup is aimed at words - so it might not support sentences
> and in particular long ones... Is it correct?

Not really an answer, but does visual-line-mode help in your use case?

> Thanks in advance,
> Dror

Hth,

--
Marcin Borkowski
Adam Mickiewicz University

* Re: Markup (blod for instance) over line breaks
@ 2013-10-13 19:58   ` Dror Atariah
From: Dror Atariah @ 2013-10-13 19:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Marcin Borkowski; +Cc: Emacs-orgmode

On Oct 13, 2013, at 21:38 PM, Marcin Borkowski wrote:

> Dnia 2013-10-13, o godz. 20:49:30
> Dror Atariah <drorata@gmail.com> napisał(a):
>
>> Dear org-moders,
>>
>> It might be terribly simple, but I failed to find a solution. How can
>> I mark several words as bold (or emphasized or any similar markup),
>> in particular if the words spans over *more then one line*?
>>
>> A similar problem can occur when one is pasting a long line into an
>> org-mode buffer and then, after it is being broken into shorter
>> lines, you try to make it bold.
>>
>> The documentation
>> (http://orgmode.org/org.html#Emphasis-and-monospace) states that this
>> kind of markup is aimed at words - so it might not support sentences
>> and in particular long ones... Is it correct?
>
> Not really an answer, but does visual-line-mode help in your use case?
It does help. Doesn't org-mode has some sort of dedicated line-breaking mechanism? How would you turn it into a complete solution?

Best,

@ 2013-10-13 20:22     ` Marcin Borkowski
From: Marcin Borkowski @ 2013-10-13 20:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dror Atariah

Dnia 2013-10-13, o godz. 21:58:20
Dror Atariah <drorata@gmail.com> napisał(a):

> On Oct 13, 2013, at 21:38 PM, Marcin Borkowski wrote:
>
> > Dnia 2013-10-13, o godz. 20:49:30
> > Dror Atariah <drorata@gmail.com> napisał(a):
> >
> >> Dear org-moders,
> >>
> >> It might be terribly simple, but I failed to find a solution. How
> >> can I mark several words as bold (or emphasized or any similar
> >> markup), in particular if the words spans over *more then one
> >> line*?
> >>
> >> A similar problem can occur when one is pasting a long line into an
> >> org-mode buffer and then, after it is being broken into shorter
> >> lines, you try to make it bold.
> >>
> >> The documentation
> >> (http://orgmode.org/org.html#Emphasis-and-monospace) states that
> >> this kind of markup is aimed at words - so it might not support
> >> sentences and in particular long ones... Is it correct?
> >
> > Not really an answer, but does visual-line-mode help in your use
> > case?
> It does help. Doesn't org-mode has some sort of dedicated
> line-breaking mechanism? How would you turn it into a complete
> solution?

Not that I know of.  Basically, "lines" may be /visual/ (i.e., broken by
the display engine at spaces etc., but the whole paragraph is one long
line in the file) or /physical/ (i.e., with newline characters at the
end of each line).  In Emacs, you an use M-q to "fill" a paragraph
(more or less, convert from visual to physical lines), and something
along the lines of C-u 9 9 9 9 9 C-x f M-q to "unfill" a paragraph.
(There are also "unfill" functions (quod google), though they are not
part of stock Emacs.)

There is an ongoing discussion on which is better, too long to repeat
any of the arguments here.  For a LaTeX-centric approach, see e.g.
http://tex.stackexchange.com/questions/4376/good-strategy-for-line-breaks-with-paragraphs-of-latex-source
(note that Emacs's longline-mode was a predecessor of visual-line-mode).

And indeed, bold/italic spanning more than a few words might not be a
good idea.  And in cases it is, it's problably better to define a
specialized "environment" (in LaTeX lingo) - like one for theorems
(which are often typeset in italics).

> Best,
> Dror

Best,

--

@ 2013-10-14  5:11 ` Eric Abrahamsen
From: Eric Abrahamsen @ 2013-10-14  5:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Dror Atariah <drorata@gmail.com> writes:

> Dear org-moders,
>
> It might be terribly simple, but I failed to find a solution. How can
> I mark several words as bold (or emphasized or any similar markup),
> in particular if the words spans over *more then one line*?
>
> A similar problem can occur when one is pasting a long line into an
> org-mode buffer and then, after it is being broken into shorter
> lines, you try to make it bold.
>
> The documentation (http://orgmode.org/org.html#Emphasis-and-monospace
> ) states that this kind of markup is aimed at words - so it might not
> support sentences and in particula r long ones... Is it correct?
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Dror

I use autofill mode, and then change the value of
`org-emphasis-regexp-components'. That variable is a list, the fifth
element of which says how many newlines the emphasis markers will allow.
I set it to three:

(setf (nth 4 org-emphasis-regexp-components) 3)

Hope that helps,
Eric

* Re: Markup (blod for instance) over line breaks
@ 2013-10-14  6:53       ` Dror Atariah
From: Dror Atariah @ 2013-10-14  6:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Marcin Borkowski; +Cc: Emacs-orgmode

On Oct 13, 2013, at 22:22 PM, Marcin Borkowski wrote:

> Dnia 2013-10-13, o godz. 21:58:20
> Dror Atariah <drorata@gmail.com> napisał(a):
>

>> On Oct 13, 2013, at 21:38 PM, Marcin Borkowski wrote:

>>> Not really an answer, but does visual-line-mode help in your use
>>> case?
>> It does help. Doesn't org-mode has some sort of dedicated
>> line-breaking mechanism? How would you turn it into a complete
>> solution?
>
> Not that I know of.  Basically, "lines" may be /visual/ (i.e., broken by
> the display engine at spaces etc., but the whole paragraph is one long
> line in the file) or /physical/ (i.e., with newline characters at the
> end of each line).  In Emacs, you an use M-q to "fill" a paragraph
> (more or less, convert from visual to physical lines), and something
> along the lines of C-u 9 9 9 9 9 C-x f M-q to "unfill" a paragraph.
> (There are also "unfill" functions (quod google), though they are not
> part of stock Emacs.)
>
> There is an ongoing discussion on which is better, too long to repeat
> any of the arguments here.  For a LaTeX-centric approach, see e.g.
> http://tex.stackexchange.com/questions/4376/good-strategy-for-line-breaks-with-paragraphs-of-latex-source
> (note that Emacs's longline-mode was a predecessor of visual-line-mode).
In this case I suppose I will revert to visual-line-mode, just like I have in my LaTeX buffers.

> And indeed, bold/italic spanning more than a few words might not be a
> good idea.  And in cases it is, it's problably better to define a
> specialized "environment" (in LaTeX lingo) - like one for theorems
> (which are often typeset in italics).
What is the org-mode's equivalent of LaTeX's environment? That COULD be very helpful.

Thanks,

@ 2013-10-14  6:55   ` Dror Atariah
From: Dror Atariah @ 2013-10-14  6:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric Abrahamsen; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Oct 14, 2013, at 07:11 AM, Eric Abrahamsen wrote:

> Dror Atariah <drorata@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> Dear org-moders,
>>
>> It might be terribly simple, but I failed to find a solution. How can
>> I mark several words as bold (or emphasized or any similar markup),
>> in particular if the words spans over *more then one line*?
>>
>> A similar problem can occur when one is pasting a long line into an
>> org-mode buffer and then, after it is being broken into shorter
>> lines, you try to make it bold.
>>
>> The documentation (http://orgmode.org/org.html#Emphasis-and-monospace
>> ) states that this kind of markup is aimed at words - so it might not
>> support sentences and in particula r long ones... Is it correct?
>>
>> Thanks in advance,
>> Dror
>
> I use autofill mode, and then change the value of
> `org-emphasis-regexp-components'. That variable is a list, the fifth
> element of which says how many newlines the emphasis markers will allow.
> I set it to three:
>
> (setf (nth 4 org-emphasis-regexp-components) 3)
Thanks for the tip. It somehow didn't help. I did "M-x org-reload" after setting this, but it didn't help spanning the italic in my case over several lines.

Cheers,

@ 2013-10-14  8:19     ` Eric Abrahamsen
From: Eric Abrahamsen @ 2013-10-14  8:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Dror Atariah <drorata@gmail.com> writes:

> On Oct 14, 2013, at 07:11 AM, Eric Abrahamsen wrote:
>
>> Dror Atariah <drorata@gmail.com> writes:
>>
>>> Dear org-moders,
>>>
>>> It might be terribly simple, but I failed to find a solution. How can
>>> I mark several words as bold (or emphasized or any similar markup),
>>> in particular if the words spans over *more then one line*?
>>>
>>> A similar problem can occur when one is pasting a long line into an
>>> org-mode buffer and then, after it is being broken into shorter
>>> lines, you try to make it bold.
>>>
>>> The documentation (http://orgmode.org/org.html#Emphasis-and-monospace
>>> ) states that this kind of markup is aimed at words - so it might not
>>> support sentences and in particula r long ones... Is it correct?
>>>
>>> Thanks in advance,
>>> Dror
>>
>> I use autofill mode, and then change the value of
>> `org-emphasis-regexp-components'. That variable is a list, the fifth
>> element of which says how many newlines the emphasis markers will allow.
>> I set it to three:
>>
>> (setf (nth 4 org-emphasis-regexp-components) 3)
> Thanks for the tip. It somehow didn't help. I did "M-x org-reload" after setting this, but it didn't help spanning the italic in my case over several lines.

Hmm. I do find it sometimes needs to be "poked" a few times to really
take -- sometimes reloading org more than once, or calling "org-mode" in
a buffer that's already org-mode. Often hitting M-q to refill the
paragraph is enough to do the trick.

It won't show the italic over even a single line break?

* Re: Markup (blod for instance) over line breaks
@ 2013-10-14 20:14         ` Marcin Borkowski
From: Marcin Borkowski @ 2013-10-14 20:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Dnia 2013-10-14, o godz. 08:53:49
Dror Atariah <drorata@gmail.com> napisał(a):

> > And indeed, bold/italic spanning more than a few words might not be
> > a good idea.  And in cases it is, it's problably better to define a
> > specialized "environment" (in LaTeX lingo) - like one for theorems
> > (which are often typeset in italics).
> What is the org-mode's equivalent of LaTeX's environment? That COULD
> be very helpful.

AFAIR, you can say just

\begin{theorem}
blah, blah
\end{theorem}

Of course, if you export to HTML or anything non-LaTeX-y, you're toast.

There are all these #+BEGIN... ... #+END... things, but I don't know
how to define new ones like these.

> Thanks,
> Dror

Best,