* Table: Insert Cell
@ 2015-01-29 19:15 Tory S. Anderson
From: Tory S. Anderson @ 2015-01-29 19:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: orgmode list

Does anyone know a solution for the surely common case of needing to insert a cell (not a column or row) into an orgmode table? Spreadsheet programs allow the option of pushing the column down or pushing the cells right in this case. How can this be achieved in orgmode?

* Re: Table: Insert Cell
@ 2015-01-29 19:43 ` Jorge A. Alfaro-Murillo
From: Jorge A. Alfaro-Murillo @ 2015-01-29 19:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi Tory,

Tory S. Anderson writes:

> Does anyone know a solution for the surely common case of
> needing to insert a cell (not a column or row) into an orgmode
> table? Spreadsheet programs allow the option of pushing the
> column down or pushing the cells right in this case. How can
> this be achieved in orgmode?

I do not think that there is a command for that. For pushing the
row, it is trivial just write the new cell

| 1 | 2 | 3 |
| 4 | 5 | 6 |
| 7 | 8 | 9 |

| 1 | 2 | 3 |
| 4 | here|5 | 6 |
| 7 | 8 | 9 |

becomes

| 1 |    2 | 3 |   |
| 4 | here | 5 | 6 |
| 7 |    8 | 9 |   |

after C-c C-c

For pushing the column, you can use kill-rectangle after inserting
another row

| 1 | 2 | 3 |
| 4 | 5 | 6 |
| 7 | 8 | 9 |

TAB on the 9 cell

| 1 | 2 | 3 |
| 4 | 5 | 6 |
| 7 | 8 | 9 |
|   |   |   |

Move below and to the right of the 8

| 1 | 2              | 3 |
| 4 | 5              | 6 |
| 7 | 8              | 9 |
|   |   <cursor here>|   |

C-<space> there, select until the left of the 5

| 1 |              2 | 3 |
| 4 | <cursor here>5 | 6 |
| 7 |              8 | 9 |
|   |                |   |

And then C-x r k, which cuts the rectangle, should get you to

| 1 | 2 | 3 |
| 4 | | 6 |
| 7 | | 9 |
|   |   |   |

move one cell down and use C-x r y

| 1 | 2 | 3 |
| 4 | | 6 |
| 7 | 5 | 9 |
|   | 8   |   |

Finally, C-c C-c, gives you what you want

| 1 | 2 | 3 |
| 4 |   | 6 |
| 7 | 5 | 9 |
|   | 8 |   |

Best,

--
Jorge.

* Re: Table: Insert Cell
@ 2015-01-29 20:20   ` Marco Wahl
From: Marco Wahl @ 2015-01-29 20:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

jorge.alfaro-murillo@yale.edu (Jorge A. Alfaro-Murillo) writes:
> Tory S. Anderson writes:
>
>> Does anyone know a solution for the surely common case of needing to
>> insert a cell (not a column or row) into an orgmode table?
>> Spreadsheet programs allow the option of pushing the column down or
>> pushing the cells right in this case. How can this be achieved in
>> orgmode?
>
> I do not think that there is a command for that. For pushing the row,
> it is trivial just write the new cell
>
> | 1 | 2 | 3 |
> | 4 | 5 | 6 |
> | 7 | 8 | 9 |
>
> | 1 | 2 | 3 |
> | 4 | here|5 | 6 |
> | 7 | 8 | 9 |
>
> [...]
>
> For pushing the column, you can use kill-rectangle after inserting
> another row
>
> | 1 | 2 | 3 |
> | 4 | 5 | 6 |
> | 7 | 8 | 9 |
>
> TAB on the 9 cell
>[...]
> Finally, C-c C-c, gives you what you want
>
> | 1 | 2 | 3 |
> | 4 |   | 6 |
> | 7 | 5 | 9 |
> |   | 8 |   |

This could be the day of org-table-transpose-table-at-point.

 | 1 | 2 | 3 |
 | 4 | 5 | 6 |
 | 7 | 8 | 9 |

org-table-transpose-table-at-point

 | 1 | 4 | 7 |
 | 2 | 5 | 8 |
 | 3 | 6 | 9 |

 | 1 | 4 | 7 |
 | 2 || 5 | 8 |
 | 3 | 6 | 9 |

C-c C-c

 | 1 | 4 | 7 |   |
 | 2 |   | 5 | 8 |
 | 3 | 6 | 9 |   |

org-table-transpose-table-at-point

 | 1 | 2 | 3 |
 | 4 |   | 6 |
 | 7 | 5 | 9 |
 |   | 8 |   |

Regards,  Marco
--
http://www.wahlzone.de
GPG: 0x49010A040A3AE6F2

* Re: Table: Insert Cell
@ 2015-01-29 20:44     ` Tory S. Anderson
From: Tory S. Anderson @ 2015-01-29 20:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Marco Wahl; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Wow! That's great! One of my next projects is going to have to be putting that little sequence into a function!

* Re: Table: Insert Cell
@ 2015-01-29 22:01     ` Jorge A. Alfaro-Murillo
From: Jorge A. Alfaro-Murillo @ 2015-01-29 22:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Marco Wahl writes:

> This could be the day of org-table-transpose-table-at-point.

Argh! Thanks, so simple. I seems like I never took Linear Algebra:
anything that you can do with rows you can do with columns, by
transposing, doing, and transposing.

--
Jorge.