* [proposal] enhancement of Org-Mode tables and related features
@ 2015-03-17 14:37 Randomcoder
From: Randomcoder @ 2015-03-17 14:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi

1) Org-Mode tables currently do not have an easy way to format each
cell individually.  For regular text, I can select a region and do M-x
fill-paragraph and that works fine, but for Org-Mode tables, I cannot
do that.  Yes, I know about M-x org-table-wrap-region , I have tried to
use it for a few hours, read the manuals, read pages that talked about
it and I was unable to get it working.

2) As a user, I'd also really appreciate M-x RET to work better.
Currently if I go somewhere on a line and run that, the text until
the end of that line is deleted and prepended to the start of the next
line. So, by doing that, I solved the length of the text on the current
line, but now I moved the problem to the next line, where the text is
again longer than it should be.

3) I've used C-c ` a few times and tried to make sense of it. As far
as I can tell it only works for one line.
For me personally, in order for C-c ` to be useful, I would expect
it to work on the entire table cell, not just one line in the table cell.

These are my suggestions for improvements. I welcome feedback on them.

Thanks for taking the time to read this

* Re: [proposal] enhancement of Org-Mode tables and related features
@ 2015-03-17 14:56 ` Nicolas Goaziou
From: Nicolas Goaziou @ 2015-03-17 14:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Randomcoder; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hello,

Randomcoder <randomcoder1@gmail.com> writes:

> 1) Org-Mode tables currently do not have an easy way to format each
> cell individually. For regular text, I can select a region and do M-x
> fill-paragraph and that works fine, but for Org-Mode tables, I cannot
> do that.  Yes, I know about M-x org-table-wrap-region , I have tried to
> use it for a few hours, read the manuals, read pages that talked about
> it and I was unable to get it working.
>
> 2) As a user, I'd also really appreciate M-x RET to work better.

M-x RET ?

> Currently if I go somewhere on a line and run that, the text until
> the end of that line is deleted and prepended to the start of the next
> line. So, by doing that, I solved the length of the text on the current
> line, but now I moved the problem to the next line, where the text is
> again longer than it should be.
>
> 3) I've used C-c ` a few times and tried to make sense of it. As far
> as I can tell it only works for one line.
> For me personally, in order for C-c ` to be useful, I would expect
> it to work on the entire table cell, not just one line in the table
> cell.

Table cells are at most one line long, there is no such thing as
a multi-line table cell in Org.

Think of Org tables as a spreadsheet more than a regular table.

Nicolas Goaziou