* lists in tables (latex export)
@ 2016-05-23 20:34 Uwe Brauer
From: Uwe Brauer @ 2016-05-23 20:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hello

The following minimal example shows one possibility to have lists in
a table using LaTeX

\documentclass[11pt]{article}
\usepackage{varwidth}

\begin{document}

\begin{center}
  \begin{tabular}{ll}
      \begin{varwidth}{\linewidth}
      \begin{itemize}
        \item this
        \item that
      \end{itemize}
    \end{varwidth}
    &
      \begin{varwidth}{\linewidth}
      \begin{itemize}
        \item 1
        \item 2
      \end{itemize}
    \end{varwidth}
  \end{tabular}
\end{center}
\end{document}

As far as I know orgmode does not support really lists in tables nor
does it allows it to export them.

Are there any plans for the future concerning such a feature?

Rationale: Lists in tables come in handy in this so called SWOT analysis
which I unfortunately have to do in the next future. Orgmode has been a
great help in editing tables in latex, that is why it were great if it
could also support to export lists in tables.

regards

Uwe Brauer

* Re: lists in tables (latex export)
@ 2016-05-23 20:43 ` Nicolas Goaziou
From: Nicolas Goaziou @ 2016-05-23 20:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hello,

Uwe Brauer <oub@mat.ucm.es> writes:

> As far as I know orgmode does not support really lists in tables nor
> does it allows it to export them.
>
> Are there any plans for the future concerning such a feature?

I don't think so. Supporting lists in tables equals to rewrite
org-table.el from scratch.

Nicolas Goaziou

* Re: lists in tables (latex export)
       [not found] <e7d2b7f10c4948c5834ff19cc1c7aeb0@HE1PR01MB1898.eurprd01.prod.exchangelabs.com>
@ 2016-05-24  7:36 ` Eric S Fraga
       [not found]   ` <333849b651b84523b08fed5cedb009e9@HE1PR01MB1898.eurprd01.prod.exchangelabs.com>
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2016-05-24  7:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

On Monday, 23 May 2016 at 20:34, Uwe Brauer wrote:
> Are there any plans for the future concerning such a feature?

probably very difficult, I would guess.  Alternatively, you could us
minipages and org special blocks to specify those?

As in:

#+begin_halfpageblock
Strengths:
- large
- simple
- green
#+end_halfpageblock
#+begin_halfpageblock
Opportunities:
- large audience
- no competition
#+end_halfpageblock

etc.

where you define a new halfpageblock environment in LaTeX.  See result
discussion on this list about defining environments.  (I'm offline at
the moment)

HTH,
eric

--
: Eric S Fraga (0xFFFCF67D), Emacs 25.0.90.1, Org release_8.3.3-535-g7213aa

* Re: lists in tables (latex export)
@ 2016-05-24  9:59   ` Uwe Brauer
       [not found]   ` <333849b651b84523b08fed5cedb009e9@HE1PR01MB1898.eurprd01.prod.exchangelabs.com>
From: Uwe Brauer @ 2016-05-24  9:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

>>> "Eric" == Eric S Fraga <e.fraga@ucl.ac.uk> writes:

   > On Monday, 23 May 2016 at 20:34, Uwe Brauer wrote:
   >> Are there any plans for the future concerning such a feature?

   > probably very difficult, I would guess.  Alternatively, you could us
   > minipages and org special blocks to specify those?

   > As in:

   > #+begin_halfpageblock
   > Strengths:
   > - large
   > - simple
   > - green
   > #+end_halfpageblock

   > #+begin_halfpageblock
   > Opportunities:
   > - large audience
   > - no competition
   > #+end_halfpageblock

   > etc.

   > where you define a new halfpageblock environment in LaTeX.  See result
   > discussion on this list about defining environments.  (I'm offline at
   > the moment)

That is interesting, I could not get your example to work, but this is
due to lack of knowledge from my side. I will look into this in the
coming days. Thanks for pointing it out!

Uwe

@ 2016-05-24 14:39     ` Eric S Fraga
       [not found]       ` <afc0cb2f4e5c4573b91e7b950fd86097@HE1PR01MB1898.eurprd01.prod.exchangelabs.com>
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2016-05-24 14:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

On Tuesday, 24 May 2016 at 09:59, Uwe Brauer wrote:

[...]

> That is interesting, I could not get your example to work, but this is
> due to lack of knowledge from my side. I will look into this in the
> coming days. Thanks for pointing it out!

Try the attached.  I've put the individual boxes in actual drawn boxes
which may look silly if the boxes have different heights...

--
: Eric S Fraga (0xFFFCF67D), Emacs 25.0.92.1, Org release_8.3.4-655-g9fb077

[-- Attachment #2: t.org --]
[-- Type: text/x-org, Size: 481 bytes --]

#+latex_header: \makeatletter\newenvironment{halfpageblock}{\begin{lrbox}{\@tempboxa}\begin{minipage}[t]{0.4\textwidth}}{\end{minipage}\end{lrbox}\fbox{\usebox{\@tempboxa}}}\makeatother

* Example of side by side boxes
This is some text that goes before the boxes.

#+begin_halfpageblock
Strengths:
- large
- simple
- green
#+end_halfpageblock
#+begin_halfpageblock
Opportunities:
- large audience
- no competition
#+end_halfpageblock

This is some text that goes after the boxes.

* Re: lists in tables (latex export)
@ 2016-05-24 21:00       ` Uwe Brauer
       [not found]       ` <afc0cb2f4e5c4573b91e7b950fd86097@HE1PR01MB1898.eurprd01.prod.exchangelabs.com>
From: Uwe Brauer @ 2016-05-24 21:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

>>> "Eric" == Eric S Fraga <e.fraga@ucl.ac.uk> writes:

   > On Tuesday, 24 May 2016 at 09:59, Uwe Brauer wrote:
   > [...]

   >> That is interesting, I could not get your example to work, but this is
   >> due to lack of knowledge from my side. I will look into this in the
   >> coming days. Thanks for pointing it out!

   > Try the attached.  I've put the individual boxes in actual drawn boxes
   > which may look silly if the boxes have different heights...

Very cool, thanks a lot, this is almost what I want!

I will try to make it work with the solution as proposed by

http://www.mostlycolor.ch/2015/07/swot-matrices-in-latex.html

In case you are interested :-D

* Re: lists in tables (latex export)
@ 2016-05-24 21:32   ` Marcin Borkowski
From: Marcin Borkowski @ 2016-05-24 21:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nicolas Goaziou; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On 2016-05-23, at 22:43, Nicolas Goaziou <mail@nicolasgoaziou.fr> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Uwe Brauer <oub@mat.ucm.es> writes:
>
>> As far as I know orgmode does not support really lists in tables nor
>> does it allows it to export them.
>>
>> Are there any plans for the future concerning such a feature?
>
> I don't think so. Supporting lists in tables equals to rewrite
> org-table.el from scratch.

Wouldn't it be doable (or rather: hackable) using filters?

> Regards,

Best,

--
Marcin Borkowski
Adam Mickiewicz University

@ 2016-05-25  6:28         ` Eric S Fraga
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2016-05-25  6:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

On Tuesday, 24 May 2016 at 21:00, Uwe Brauer wrote:
> I will try to make it work with the solution as proposed by
>
> http://www.mostlycolor.ch/2015/07/swot-matrices-in-latex.html
>
> In case you are interested :-D

Interesting.  If you want to get this approach to work with org, you are
more likely to need to put in the LaTeX directives into the org file
directly instead of the solution I suggested:

#+latex: \begin{tcbraster}[raster columns=2, boxrule=0mm, arc=0mm]
#+latex: \begin{tcolorbox}[equal height group=A, size=fbox, colback=swotS!60, colframe=swotS!80!black, title=\textsc{strengths}]
- business 1
- business 2

etc. as I believe it would be difficult to pass options to org special
blocks.  But maybe others can chime in: can ATTR_LATEX, for instance, be
used to specify options for a #+BEGIN_XXXX block?

--
: Eric S Fraga (0xFFFCF67D), Emacs 25.0.93.1, Org release_8.3.4-775-g3308a5

* Re: lists in tables (latex export)
@ 2016-05-25  6:55           ` Rasmus
From: Rasmus @ 2016-05-25  6:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

> etc. as I believe it would be difficult to pass options to org special
> blocks.  But maybe others can chime in: can ATTR_LATEX, for instance, be
> used to specify options for a #+BEGIN_XXXX block?

Yes.

#+attr_latex: :options [foo]
#+begin_bar
#+end_bar

--
Warning: Everything saved will be lost

* Re: lists in tables (latex export)
@ 2016-05-25 14:47           ` Uwe Brauer
From: Uwe Brauer @ 2016-05-25 14:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

    > On Tuesday, 24 May 2016 at 21:00, Uwe Brauer wrote:

    > Interesting.  If you want to get this approach to work with org, you are
    > more likely to need to put in the LaTeX directives into the org file
    > directly instead of the solution I suggested:

    > #+latex: \begin{tcbraster}[raster columns=2, boxrule=0mm, arc=0mm]
    > #+latex: \begin{tcolorbox}[equal height group=A, size=fbox, colback=swotS!60, colframe=swotS!80!black, title=\textsc{strengths}]

    > - business 1
    > - business 2

Thanks I will try this out and report back.

* Re: lists in tables (latex export)
@ 2016-06-04 11:59 ` martin.guertler
From: martin.guertler @ 2016-06-04 11:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi,

Some time ago I used such a feture in od export. I think it does exist
in ox-odt.el.

Regards,

Martin