* tables: sum columns only in certain ranges of rows
@ 2016-07-04 19:12 Uwe Brauer
From: Uwe Brauer @ 2016-07-04 19:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi

Is the a simple way to tell a org-table that
it adds say two columns in a certain way $4=0.2*($2+$3)
but only for certain values of the row. I hoped that
a hline would help but it does not the row containing Taylor
is treated in the same way as row 1 to 4.

| Row | Name   | E1 | E2 | Res |
|-----+--------+----+----+-----|
|   1 | Smith  |  1 |  2 | 0.6 |
|   2 | Miller |  2 |  1 | 0.6 |
|   3 | Meyer  |  1 |  4 |  1. |
|   4 | Wilson |  2 |  1 | 0.6 |
|-----+--------+----+----+-----|
|   5 | Taylor |  1 |  2 | 0.6 |
|-----+--------+----+----+-----|
#+TBLFM: $1=@#-1::$5=0.2*($3+$4)

So what is the most comfortable to obtain what I want?

Thanks

Uwe Brauer

* Re: tables: sum columns only in certain ranges of rows
@ 2016-07-07  7:02 ` Michael Brand
From: Michael Brand @ 2016-07-07  7:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Org Mode

Hi Uwe

On Mon, Jul 4, 2016 at 9:12 PM, Uwe Brauer <oub@mat.ucm.es> wrote:

> Is the a simple way to tell a org-table that
> it adds say two columns in a certain way $4=0.2*($2+$3)
> but only for certain values of the row. I hoped that
> a hline would help but it does not the row containing Taylor
> is treated in the same way as row 1 to 4.
>

> | Row | Name   | E1 | E2 | Res |
> |-----+--------+----+----+-----|
> |   1 | Smith  |  1 |  2 | 0.6 |
> |   2 | Miller |  2 |  1 | 0.6 |
> |   3 | Meyer  |  1 |  4 |  1. |
> |   4 | Wilson |  2 |  1 | 0.6 |
> |-----+--------+----+----+-----|
> |   5 | Taylor |  1 |  2 | 0.6 |
> |-----+--------+----+----+-----|
> #+TBLFM: $1=@#-1::$5=0.2*($3+$4)
>

> So what is the most comfortable to obtain what I want?

Depending on what you want you can use $5 = if($1 != 5, 0.2*($3+$4),
string("")). See also some other examples with if in the Org manual.

Michael

* Re: tables: sum columns only in certain ranges of rows
@ 2016-07-07 16:28   ` Nick Dokos
From: Nick Dokos @ 2016-07-07 16:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Michael Brand <michael.ch.brand@gmail.com> writes:

> Hi Uwe
>
> On Mon, Jul 4, 2016 at 9:12 PM, Uwe Brauer <oub@mat.ucm.es> wrote:
>
>> Is the a simple way to tell a org-table that
>> it adds say two columns in a certain way $4=0.2*($2+$3)
>> but only for certain values of the row. I hoped that
>> a hline would help but it does not the row containing Taylor
>> is treated in the same way as row 1 to 4.
>>

>> | Row | Name   | E1 | E2 | Res |
>> |-----+--------+----+----+-----|
>> |   1 | Smith  |  1 |  2 | 0.6 |
>> |   2 | Miller |  2 |  1 | 0.6 |
>> |   3 | Meyer  |  1 |  4 |  1. |
>> |   4 | Wilson |  2 |  1 | 0.6 |
>> |-----+--------+----+----+-----|
>> |   5 | Taylor |  1 |  2 | 0.6 |
>> #+TBLFM: $1=@#-1::$5=0.2*($3+$4)
>>

>> So what is the most comfortable to obtain what I want?
>
> Depending on what you want you can use $5 = if($1 != 5, 0.2*($3+$4),
> string("")). See also some other examples with if in the Org manual.
>
> Michael

This seems to work:

#+TBLFM: $1=@#-1::@2$5..@5$5=0.2*($3+$4)

Nick