* ox-odt: List items contain body paragraphs, confusing styles
@ 2017-08-17  2:47 James Harkins
From: James Harkins @ 2017-08-17  2:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi, haven't been active here for a while (which is a good thing -- it means I haven't had any problems worth mentioning!).

Now I have one -- ODT export encodes list items as a list-item containing a "text:p":

<text:list text:style-name="OrgBulletedList" text:continue-numbering="false">
<text:list-item>

<text:p text:style-name="Text_20_body">blah blah</text:p>

</text:list-item>
</text:list>

When LibreOffice reads this, it applies indentation settings from the Text_20_body paragraph style to the list item. So, for instance, if you're writing for a journal that requires a .doc and it also requires paragraphs to be first-line indented, it becomes impossible to have hanging bullets in bullet lists -- the list outdents the bullet by 0.25" but the paragraph style then indents this by 0.5" for a net indent of 0.25".

ask.libreoffice.org says "It is usually preferable to make paragraph styles formatting lists independent from bulk text styles"[1] -- i.e., applying the same style to a list-item paragraph as to a free-standing paragraph is not recommended.

I can guess structurally why this occurs -- I suppose org parses it as a list-item node containing a paragraph node, and the paragraph node is encoded first, without any knowledge of its context.

I will try to write a filter for this, but this looks like an unexpected interaction, so, perhaps a bug.

Thanks,
hjh

[1] https://ask.libreoffice.org/en/question/123222/text-body-style-with-intent-affects-bulleted-list-style-as-well/