* refiling heading onto itself
@ 2023-05-09 12:46 Oliver Epper
From: Oliver Epper @ 2023-05-09 12:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

When choosing the very same heading that is going to be refiled as its
target the message buffer states success but the heading is gone. This is
version 9.5.5 of org-mode with emacs 28.2

-*- mode: org -*-
* one
* two
* three

Try refiling two and choose two as the target. Result when started with
emacs -Q is:

* one
* three

no error message.

greetings
Oliver Epper

* Re: refiling heading onto itself
@ 2023-05-10 15:22 ` Ruijie Yu via General discussions about Org-mode.
From: Ruijie Yu via General discussions about Org-mode. @ 2023-05-10 15:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Oliver Epper; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Oliver Epper <oliver.epper@gmail.com> writes:

> When choosing the very same heading that is going to be refiled as its target the message buffer states success but the heading is gone. This is
> version 9.5.5 of org-mode with emacs 28.2
>
> -*- mode: org -*-
> * one
> * two
> * three
>
> Try refiling two and choose two as the target. Result when started with emacs -Q is:
>
> * one
> * three
>
> no error message.
>
> greetings
> Oliver Epper

Reproducible in built-in Org from 28.2 ("Org mode version 9.5.5
(release_9.5.5 @ /opt/src/emacs/base/emacs-28.2/lisp/org/)").

Also reproducible in built-in Org from recent master ("Org mode version
9.6.5 (release_9.6.5-3-g2993f4 @ /usr/share/emacs/30.0.50/lisp/org/)").

Didn't test the main branch -- haven't pulled in a few days and it is
too late today.  HTH.

Two problems I found in a hurry: (1) refiling "two" into "two" make the
entire thing gone.  (2) the completiong system shouldn't even provide
"two" as a completion candidate.

--
Best,

RY

* Re: refiling heading onto itself
@ 2023-05-11 10:10 ` Ihor Radchenko
From: Ihor Radchenko @ 2023-05-11 10:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Oliver Epper; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Oliver Epper <oliver.epper@gmail.com> writes:

> When choosing the very same heading that is going to be refiled as its
> target the message buffer states success but the heading is gone. This is
> version 9.5.5 of org-mode with emacs 28.2

Thanks for reporting!
Fixed, on main.
https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/emacs/org-mode.git/commit/?id=30b790f42

--
Ihor Radchenko // yantar92,
Org mode contributor,

* Re: refiling heading onto itself
@ 2023-05-11 10:12   ` Ihor Radchenko
From: Ihor Radchenko @ 2023-05-11 10:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ruijie Yu; +Cc: Oliver Epper, emacs-orgmode

<emacs-orgmode@gnu.org> writes:

> ... (2) the completiong system shouldn't even provide
> "two" as a completion candidate.

Maybe. The current implementation of refile target selection is not
aware about the context. One might try to temporarily extend
`org-refile-target-verify-function', but we currently approach this
differently and check (in `org-refile') the selected refile target only,
throwing an error when attempting to refile into the child subtree.

--
Ihor Radchenko // yantar92,
Org mode contributor,