* [POLL] Any users setting `org-agenda-use-tag-inheritance' to nil or other non-default value?
@ 2024-01-04 15:58 Ihor Radchenko
From: Ihor Radchenko @ 2024-01-04 15:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hello,

We have a customization `org-agenda-use-tag-inheritance' that controls
whether agenda searches should use tag inheritance or not.

One of the main motivations to introduce it was that agenda searches
could become really slow when resolving inherited tags. However,
inherited tags can now be retrieved very fast, after org-element-cache
has been enabled by default. At least, it is the theory.

I'd like to hear from the users who customized
`org-agenda-use-tag-inheritance':

1. If you customized it to speed up agendas, are agendas still slow on
   the latest main?

2. If you customized it for other reasons, may you please explain your
   use case?

--
Ihor Radchenko // yantar92,
Org mode contributor,

* Re: [POLL] Any users setting `org-agenda-use-tag-inheritance' to nil or other non-default value?
@ 2024-01-16 18:09 ` Daniel Clemente
From: Daniel Clemente @ 2024-01-16 18:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ihor Radchenko; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

> 1. If you customized it to speed up agendas, are agendas still slow on
the latest main?

I disabled org-agenda-use-tag-inheritance but I can't provide a lot of
feedback because I don't use many tag filters:

1. I disabled it in a batch script that exports my agenda, though it
doesn't actually speed up the agenda (even with org-element-use-cache
disabled); I guess it's because the agenda view I'm exporting doesn't do
any filter (in particular, filter by tag).

2. I disabled it in my .emacs, but I guess it has no effect because I also
disabled org-use-tag-inheritance, because I've never needed tag inheritance.

I temporarily enabled org-use-tag-inheritance
and org-agenda-use-tag-inheritance and opened an agenda that filters by tag
(it combines 4 one-tag filters), it seems to run almost as fast; 25 to 26
seconds with tag inheritance enabled, whereas with tag inheritance disabled
it takes around 24 seconds. These are manual measurements which may be 1 or
2 seconds off, so you may want to measure it more precisely; they may take
the same time. Anyway I don't see slowness due to tag inheritance in agenda.

@ 2024-01-28 20:23 ypuntot
From: ypuntot @ 2024-01-28 20:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: yantar92, Org-mode

There are several reasons to disable tags inheritance.

For example, in project management there could be a tag for a direct responsible for a task, and a different tag for a different direct responsible for a subtask. I could want to see the tasks of the direct responsible, not the subtasks that are already in the hands of a different person.
It helps to not overpopulate results.

Other use cases, like people that use :prj: tag for projects, subtasks could be not projects:
http://juanreyero.com/article/emacs/org-teams.html

Packages must exist that have functionalities based on tasks inheritance:
https://github.com/gizmomogwai/org-tagged/issues/8

* Re: [POLL] Any users setting `org-agenda-use-tag-inheritance' to nil or other non-default value?
@ 2024-01-28 21:16 ` Ihor Radchenko
From: Ihor Radchenko @ 2024-01-28 21:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ypuntot; +Cc: Org-mode

ypuntot <ypuntot@gmail.com> writes:

> There are several reasons to disable tags inheritance.
>
> For example, in project management there could be a tag for a direct responsible for a task, and a different tag for a different direct responsible for a subtask. I could want to see the tasks of the direct responsible, not the subtasks that are already in the hands of a different person.
> It helps to not overpopulate results.

Indeed. We have `org-use-tag-inheritance' exactly for this purpose - it
defines tag inheritance globally.

`org-agenda-use-tag-inheritance' is a layer on top that can disable
`org-use-tag-inheritance' just in agenda.

My question is about `org-agenda-use-tag-inheritance', not about global
Org settings for tag inheritance.

--

@ 2024-01-28 22:19   ` ypuntot
From: ypuntot @ 2024-01-28 22:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ihor Radchenko; +Cc: Org-mode

Sorry I didn't get it.
I think it would help too to not overpopulate the agenda, but as I don't use it, I don't vote.

Best

@ 2024-01-28 22:31     ` Ihor Radchenko
From: Ihor Radchenko @ 2024-01-28 22:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ypuntot; +Cc: Org-mode

ypuntot <ypuntot@gmail.com> writes:

> Sorry I didn't get it.
> I think it would help too to not overpopulate the agenda, but as I don't use it, I don't vote.

Its main purpose is to make agenda faster to load. But tag inheritance
is no longer a performance bottleneck.

I do not understand what you mean by "overpopulate".

--
Ihor Radchenko // yantar92,
Org mode contributor,