* Remove WAITING Task from Global TODO List
@ 2010-08-16 18:30 Markus Heller
From: Markus Heller @ 2010-08-16 18:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hello fellow orgers,

I have a quick question to which I couldn't find an answer in the org
manual.

How can I remove WAITING tasks from the global TODO list?

Thanks
Markus

* Re: Remove WAITING Task from Global TODO List
@ 2010-08-16 18:42 ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2010-08-16 18:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Markus Heller; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Markus Heller <hellerm2@gmail.com> writes:

> How can I remove WAITING tasks from the global TODO list?

By allowing all your TODO keywords but WAITING:

  C-c a T TODO|STARTED [RET]

--
 Bastien

* Re: Remove WAITING Task from Global TODO List
@ 2010-08-16 18:47 ` Memnon Anon
From: Memnon Anon @ 2010-08-16 18:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Markus Heller; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Markus Heller <hellerm2@gmail.com> writes:

> I have a quick question to which I couldn't find an answer in the org
> manual.
> How can I remove WAITING tasks from the global TODO list?

Add a WAITING tag and use filtering.

,----[ (info "(org)Agenda commands") ]
| Secondary filtering and query editing
|
| `/'
|      Filter the current agenda view with respect to a tag and/or effort
|      estimates.  The difference between this and a custom agenda
|      command is that filtering is very fast, so that you can switch
|      quickly between different filters without having to recreate the
|      agenda(1)
|
|      You will be prompted for a tag selection letter, SPC will mean any
|      tag at all.  Pressing <TAB> at that prompt will offer use
|      completion to select a tag (including any tags that do not have a
|      selection character).  The command then hides all entries that do
|      not contain or inherit this tag.  When called with prefix arg,
|      remove the entries that _do_ have the tag.  A second `/' at the
|      prompt will turn off the filter and unhide any hidden entries.  If
|      the first key you press is either `+' or `-', the previous filter
|      will be narrowed by requiring or forbidding the selected
|      additional tag.  Instead of pressing `+' or `-' after `/', you can
|      also immediately use the `\' command.
`----

If you want to do this automatically, see

,----[ http://doc.norang.ca/org-mode.html ]
| 9.3 Trigger Tags
|
| The following tags are automatically added or removed by todo state triggers described previously in *ToDo state triggers
|
|   * WAITING
|   * CANCELLED
|   * NEXT
`----

Memnon

* Re: Remove WAITING Task from Global TODO List
@ 2010-08-16 20:22   ` Markus Heller
From: Markus Heller @ 2010-08-16 20:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Bastien <bastien.guerry@wikimedia.fr> writes:

> Markus Heller <hellerm2@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> How can I remove WAITING tasks from the global TODO list?
>
> By allowing all your TODO keywords but WAITING:
>
>   C-c a T TODO|STARTED [RET]

Bastien, Memnon,

thanks for your replies.  While reading the org manual, I got confused,
so my request was wrong.  I sincerely apologize for wasting your time.

Now, what I'd like to achieve is that the agenda view that is brought up
by C-c a a only contains TODO and STARTED tasks, no WAITING etc.

Is this possible, or do I have to create a custom agenda view as
suggested?

Thanks
Markus

* Re: Re: Remove WAITING Task from Global TODO List
@ 2010-08-16 20:55     ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2010-08-16 20:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Markus Heller; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Markus Heller <hellerm2@gmail.com> writes:

> Now, what I'd like to achieve is that the agenda view that is brought up
> by C-c a a only contains TODO and STARTED tasks, no WAITING etc.
>
> Is this possible, or do I have to create a custom agenda view as
> suggested?

Yes, you'll have to create a custom agenda.

--
 Bastien

* Re: Remove WAITING Task from Global TODO List
@ 2010-08-16 23:38       ` Markus Heller
From: Markus Heller @ 2010-08-16 23:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Bastien <bastien.guerry@wikimedia.fr> writes:

> Markus Heller <hellerm2@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> Now, what I'd like to achieve is that the agenda view that is brought up
>> by C-c a a only contains TODO and STARTED tasks, no WAITING etc.
>>
>> Is this possible, or do I have to create a custom agenda view as
>> suggested?
>
> Yes, you'll have to create a custom agenda.

But that will only give me a *list* of the items, correct?

What I'd like to get is the *calendar* view that you get by hitting "C-c
a a" which only shows TODO and STARTED tasks.

After a little bit of looking around, I stumbled across org-agenda-list,
which is called by "C-c a a".  Is this list I have to fiddle with?

I hope it's clear now what I mean ...  Sorry about the confusion.

Cheers

@ 2010-08-17  2:25         ` Memnon Anon
From: Memnon Anon @ 2010-08-17  2:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Markus Heller; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Markus Heller <hellerm2@gmail.com> writes:

> But that will only give me a *list* of the items, correct?
>
> What I'd like to get is the *calendar* view that you get by hitting "C-c
> a a" which only shows TODO and STARTED tasks.

Ui, custom agenda; I am not got at this, but please try this:

(setq org-agenda-custom-commands
      '(("!" "Testing" agenda ""
         ((org-agenda-skip-function
         '(org-agenda-skip-entry-if 'nottodo '("TODO" "STARTED")))))))

This can be totally wrong, but I did some very quick testing and it
seems to work... Just eval it in your *scratch* buffer and try.

Whether this works or not, I suggest you have a look at the excellent
Introduction to custom agendas here:

        http://orgmode.org/worg/org-tutorials/org-custom-agenda-commands.php

by Matt Lundin.

hth

Memnon

* Re: Remove WAITING Task from Global TODO List
@ 2010-08-17 17:25           ` Markus Heller
From: Markus Heller @ 2010-08-17 17:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Memnon Anon <gegendosenfleisch@googlemail.com> writes:

> Markus Heller <hellerm2@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> But that will only give me a *list* of the items, correct?
>>
>> What I'd like to get is the *calendar* view that you get by hitting "C-c
>> a a" which only shows TODO and STARTED tasks.
>
> Ui, custom agenda; I am not got at this, but please try this:
>
> (setq org-agenda-custom-commands
>       '(("!" "Testing" agenda ""
>          ((org-agenda-skip-function
>          '(org-agenda-skip-entry-if 'nottodo '("TODO" "STARTED")))))))

This works, thanks a lot.

> This can be totally wrong, but I did some very quick testing and it
> seems to work... Just eval it in your *scratch* buffer and try.
>
> Whether this works or not, I suggest you have a look at the excellent
> Introduction to custom agendas here:
>
>         http://orgmode.org/worg/org-tutorials/org-custom-agenda-commands.php
>
> by Matt Lundin.
>
> hth