* org-grep news
@ 2014-01-04  5:39 François Pinard
From: François Pinard @ 2014-01-04  5:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi, Org people.

First of all, let me wish a Much Nice Year to everybody here! :-)

This is about my little org-grep tool, available at:

   https://github.com/pinard/org-grep

Right out of the README: "This tool allows for grepping files in a set
of Org directories, formatting the results as a separate Org buffer.
This buffer is assorted with a few specific navigation commands so it
works a bit like M-x rgrep."

When I announced it, a while ago, someone reported to me that it was not
finding anything at all for him.  As it worked well for me, and the
reporter did not pursue the exploration of the problem with me, I almost
forgot it.  Yesterday, I stumbled on a tiny bug visible to those using
org-grep all bare, with no configuration.  This is now corrected.
People hit by this problem could happily retry the latest version.

Yesterday, to cover one of my own needs, I added the capability to
simultaneously search for other files, would they be Org or not.  This
is implemented by offering hooks able to receive user-defined Emacs Lisp
functions.  These functions return shell code.  So, this capability
requires some Emacs Lisp fluency to be activated, yet maybe not that
much.  The README file contains a small and simple example.

While a few problems remain in the tool, it is already very usable in my
opinion, and surely useful to me daily.  By mere friendship, I feel like
recommending it a bit to my Org fellow friends!

François

P.S.  Who is not as pushy as he appears to be.  Forgive him! :-)

* Re: org-grep news
@ 2014-01-04 10:12 ` Alan Schmitt
From: Alan Schmitt @ 2014-01-04 10:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: François Pinard; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi François,

François Pinard <pinard@iro.umontreal.ca> writes:

> This is about my little org-grep tool, available at:
>
>    https://github.com/pinard/org-grep
>
> Right out of the README: "This tool allows for grepping files in a set
> of Org directories, formatting the results as a separate Org buffer.
> This buffer is assorted with a few specific navigation commands so it
> works a bit like M-x rgrep."

This is very nice. I'm using deft at the moment
(http://jblevins.org/projects/deft/) but I'm trying this as a
lightweight replacement. It looks promising.

Thanks a lot,

Alan

* Re: org-grep news
@ 2014-01-04 10:52 ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2014-01-04 10:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: François Pinard; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

François Pinard <pinard@iro.umontreal.ca> writes:

> This is about my little org-grep tool, available at:
>
>    https://github.com/pinard/org-grep

This is great -- thanks, and a happy new year!

--
 Bastien