* ox-odt doesn't honor :anchor "page"
@ 2014-09-30  7:35 Martin Gürtler
From: Martin Gürtler @ 2014-09-30  7:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi,

I'm using Org-mode version 8.2.7c (8.2.7c-74-gd2ecbe-elpa, org-plus-contrib
package).

I am writing a documentation in org mode with the intent of exporting it to
libreoffice (using libreoffice 4.2.6.3 on ubuntu 12.04).

This works in general very well.

I have a minor problem with image anchors.

I think I followed the docs when writing

    #+ATTR_ODT: :width 17 :anchor "page"
    #+CAPTION: Some text.
    #+LABEL:   fig:figureLabel
    [[file:someFig.png]]

The :anchor statement seems to be ignored in the export process, I always
get images anchored to the paragraph.

When using Jambunathan's version of ox-odt I get images anchored to the
page, but there seem to be problems if there are two images on one page,
images covering each other when both are anchored to the page..

One of the few cases where doc is ahead of implementation?

Regards

Martin

* Re: ox-odt doesn't honor :anchor "page"
@ 2014-09-30  7:58 ` Christian Moe
From: Christian Moe @ 2014-09-30  7:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Martin Gürtler; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Confirmed, but it seems to be a documentation error, not a bug.

It works if you leave out the quotation marks:

#+ATTR_ODT: :anchor page

The docs do indeed unequivocally require quotation marks, but I don't
think there is any need for them.

Yours,
Christian

Martin Gürtler writes:

> Hi,
>
> I'm using Org-mode version 8.2.7c (8.2.7c-74-gd2ecbe-elpa, org-plus-contrib
> package).
>
> I am writing a documentation in org mode with the intent of exporting it to
> libreoffice (using libreoffice 4.2.6.3 on ubuntu 12.04).
>
> This works in general very well.
>
> I have a minor problem with image anchors.
>
> I think I followed the docs when writing
>
>     #+ATTR_ODT: :width 17 :anchor "page"
>     #+CAPTION: Some text.
>     #+LABEL:   fig:figureLabel
>     [[file:someFig.png]]
>
> The :anchor statement seems to be ignored in the export process, I always
> get images anchored to the paragraph.
>
> When using Jambunathan's version of ox-odt I get images anchored to the
> page, but there seem to be problems if there are two images on one page,
> images covering each other when both are anchored to the page..
>
> One of the few cases where doc is ahead of implementation?
>

> Regards
>
> Martin

* Image collisions (was Re: ox-odt doesn't honor :anchor "page")
@ 2014-09-30  8:21   ` Martin Gürtler
From: Martin Gürtler @ 2014-09-30  8:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Christian Moe; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi,

thanks for the fast response.

Am 30.09.2014 um 09:58 schrieb Christian Moe:

> Confirmed, but it seems to be a documentation error, not a bug.
> It works if you leave out the quotation marks:
> #+ATTR_ODT: :anchor page

This indeed helped. Unfortunately, it turns out that the anchoring is of limited
use, because I get collisions (images at same position). Well, org-mode export
is not LateX - there is probably no way to control that within the org mode file..

Regards,

Martin
--
Dr. Martin Gürtler
Phone: +49-341-2254303

* Re: Image collisions (was Re: ox-odt doesn't honor :anchor "page")
@ 2014-09-30  9:30     ` Christian Moe
From: Christian Moe @ 2014-09-30  9:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Martin Gürtler; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Martin Gürtler writes:

> Hi,
>
> thanks for the fast response.
>
> Am 30.09.2014 um 09:58 schrieb Christian Moe:
>>
>> Confirmed, but it seems to be a documentation error, not a bug.
>> It works if you leave out the quotation marks:
>> #+ATTR_ODT: :anchor page
>
> This indeed helped. Unfortunately, it turns out that the anchoring is of limited
> use, because I get collisions (images at same position). Well, org-mode export
> is not LateX - there is probably no way to control that within the org mode file..

Not currently, as far as I'm aware. LibreOffice lacks Latex's ability to
decide for itself where best to place an image on the page, and Org-mode
shouldn't even try.

It's no doubt technically possible to add a feature to specify image
coordinates in the ATTR_ODT line, but I don't know if there would be a
point. In very many cases, it will probably be easier to fix stuff
manually in LibreOffice afterwards than specifying coordinates in Org.

Yours,
Christian

* Re: Image collisions (was Re: ox-odt doesn't honor :anchor "page")
@ 2014-09-30 10:23       ` Martin Gürtler
From: Martin Gürtler @ 2014-09-30 10:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Christian Moe; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

hi,

Am 30.09.2014 um 11:30 schrieb Christian Moe:

> Martin Gürtler writes:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> thanks for the fast response.
>>
>> Am 30.09.2014 um 09:58 schrieb Christian Moe:
>>>
>>> Confirmed, but it seems to be a documentation error, not a bug.
>>> It works if you leave out the quotation marks:
>>> #+ATTR_ODT: :anchor page
>>
>> This indeed helped. Unfortunately, it turns out that the anchoring is of limited
>> use, because I get collisions (images at same position). Well, org-mode export
>> is not LateX - there is probably no way to control that within the org mode file..
>
> Not currently, as far as I'm aware. LibreOffice lacks Latex's ability to
> decide for itself where best to place an image on the page, and Org-mode
> shouldn't even try.
>
> It's no doubt technically possible to add a feature to specify image
> coordinates in the ATTR_ODT line, but I don't know if there would be a
> point. In very many cases, it will probably be easier to fix stuff
> manually in LibreOffice afterwards than specifying coordinates in Org.

True. Probably the cleanest solution is to stick to paragraph anchors and move
images physically. Should be stable enough if there are enough forced page
breaks, eg for each chapter.

Thanks again,

@ 2014-09-30 16:50 ` Achim Gratz
From: Achim Gratz @ 2014-09-30 16:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Martin Gürtler writes:
> I'm using Org-mode version 8.2.7c (8.2.7c-74-gd2ecbe-elpa, org-plus-contrib
> package).

That doesn't seem to be the case, the org-plus-contrib package would
advertise itself with the "-elpaplus" suffix.

Regards,
Achim.