* Weird Asymptote mode behaviour in org
@ 2015-08-24  7:08 Jarmo Hurri
From: Jarmo Hurri @ 2015-08-24  7:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Greetings.

When editing Asymptote code in org, a comma sometimes appears out of
nowhere into the Asymptote code. The org code below explains how to
reproduce this. (I am using the version of org pulled this morning.)

Jarmo

* description
  Move cursor into the code below. Press ~C-c '~ to edit the code in
  Asymptote mode. Do not change anything in the code, just press ~C-c
  '~ to return to org. You will notice that a comma has been inserted
  into the code.
* test case
  #+BEGIN_SRC asymptote
    real s = 50
      * 21.1;
  #+END_SRC

* Re: Weird Asymptote mode behaviour in org
@ 2015-08-24 14:55 ` Nicolas Goaziou
From: Nicolas Goaziou @ 2015-08-24 14:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jarmo Hurri; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hello,

Jarmo Hurri <jarmo.hurri@iki.fi> writes:

> When editing Asymptote code in org, a comma sometimes appears out of
> nowhere into the Asymptote code. The org code below explains how to
> reproduce this. (I am using the version of org pulled this morning.)
>
> Jarmo
>
> * description
>   Move cursor into the code below. Press ~C-c '~ to edit the code in
>   Asymptote mode. Do not change anything in the code, just press ~C-c
>   '~ to return to org. You will notice that a comma has been inserted
>   into the code.
> * test case
>
>   #+BEGIN_SRC asymptote
>     real s = 50
>       * 21.1;
>   #+END_SRC

See (info "(org) Literal examples"), in particular fourth footnote.

Nicolas Goaziou

* Re: Weird Asymptote mode behaviour in org
@ 2015-08-24 15:30 ` Nicolas Richard
From: Nicolas Richard @ 2015-08-24 15:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jarmo Hurri; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hello,

Jarmo Hurri <jarmo.hurri@iki.fi> writes:
> * description
>   Move cursor into the code below. Press ~C-c '~ to edit the code in
>   Asymptote mode. Do not change anything in the code, just press ~C-c
>   '~ to return to org. You will notice that a comma has been inserted
>   into the code.
> * test case
>
>   #+BEGIN_SRC asymptote
>     real s = 50
>       * 21.1;
>   #+END_SRC

The comma is meant to escape the star (*), see footnote in (info "(org)
Literal examples"). I'm not sure the comma is required (because your *
isn't at the start of the line), but is shouldn't hurt (i.e. you can C-c
', you can C-c C-c, etc.)

--
Nicolas Richard

* Re: Weird Asymptote mode behaviour in org
@ 2015-08-27  4:55   ` Jarmo Hurri
From: Jarmo Hurri @ 2015-08-27  4:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Nicolas Richard <youngfrog@members.fsf.org> writes:

>> * description
>>   Move cursor into the code below. Press ~C-c '~ to edit the code in
>>   Asymptote mode. Do not change anything in the code, just press ~C-c
>>   '~ to return to org. You will notice that a comma has been inserted
>>   into the code.
>> * test case
>>
>>   #+BEGIN_SRC asymptote
>>     real s = 50
>>       * 21.1;
>>   #+END_SRC
>
> The comma is meant to escape the star (*), see footnote in (info
> "(org) Literal examples"). I'm not sure the comma is required (because
> your * isn't at the start of the line), but is shouldn't hurt
> (i.e. you can C-c ', you can C-c C-c, etc.)

Thanks! Seems I have skipped some parts of the manual. :)

I can live with this now that I know it. It is extremely confusing at
first, though, so future generations might prefer to live without that
feature if it is not really necessary. That is, if a comma is not needed
when the star (*) is not at the beginning of the line.

All the best,

Jarmo