* repeating timestamps with an end date
@ 2018-07-30 13:25 Robert Pluim
From: Robert Pluim @ 2018-07-30 13:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi,

is there a generic way to specify an end date for a repeating event? I
can do something like

* 10:00-12:00 an event
  <%%(org-class 2018 8 1 2018 8 31 2)>

to have something repeat every Tuesday in August, but that doesnʼt
work for other repeating intervals. Iʼd much rather be able to do
something like

* an event
  <2018-08-01 Wed 10:00-12:00+1w>--<2018-08-14>

but that makes it appear in the agenda every day.

Thanks

Robert

* Re: repeating timestamps with an end date
@ 2018-07-31 19:12 ` Eric S Fraga
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2018-07-31 19:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

On Monday, 30 Jul 2018 at 15:25, Robert Pluim wrote:
> Hi,
>
> is there a generic way to specify an end date for a repeating event?

The short answer is no.

The longer answer is to consider using
org-clone-subtree-with-time-shift.  Make the entry you want and then make
the repeating entries.  I use this for lectures, for instance, and then
delete particular entries that might correspond to cancelled lectures.

--
Eric S Fraga via Emacs 27.0.50, Org release_9.1.13-894-gf79545

* Re: repeating timestamps with an end date
@ 2018-08-01 10:50   ` Robert Pluim
From: Robert Pluim @ 2018-08-01 10:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Eric S Fraga <esflists@gmail.com> writes:

> On Monday, 30 Jul 2018 at 15:25, Robert Pluim wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> is there a generic way to specify an end date for a repeating event?
>
> The short answer is no.
>
> The longer answer is to consider using
> org-clone-subtree-with-time-shift.  Make the entry you want and then make
> the repeating entries.  I use this for lectures, for instance, and then
> delete particular entries that might correspond to cancelled lectures.

That will work, but it feels inelegant. I guess Iʼll stick to using
'diary-block' and similar.

@ 2018-08-11 11:30     ` Eric S Fraga
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2018-08-11 11:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

On Wednesday,  1 Aug 2018 at 12:50, Robert Pluim wrote:
> Eric S Fraga <esflists@gmail.com> writes:
>> The longer answer is to consider using
>> org-clone-subtree-with-time-shift.  Make the entry you want and then make
>> the repeating entries.  I use this for lectures, for instance, and then
>> delete particular entries that might correspond to cancelled lectures.
>
> That will work, but it feels inelegant. I guess Iʼll stick to using
> 'diary-block' and similar.

It may seem inelegant but it has some advantagesm  For instance, each
lecture could have different room locations and you can add notes specific
to an individual lecture.  But whatever works best for you is the best
solution!

--
Eric S Fraga via Emacs 27.0.50, Org release_9.1.13-894-gf79545