* [BUG] org-export-with-broken-links not respected for (org-icalendar-combine-agenda-files t) [9.6.9 ( @ /home/jorge/.config/emacs/elpa/org-9.6.9/)]
@ 2023-09-09 21:45 Jorge P. de Morais Neto
From: Jorge P. de Morais Neto @ 2023-09-09 21:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi.  I am on Gentoo.  I wrote the following Elisp function:

(defun J-org-icalendar-agenda-no-babel (&optional async)
  "Invoke `org-icalendar-combine-agenda-files' without babel, maybe ASYNC.

Also, make broken Org links just get marked as such in the
output, instead of stopping the export with an error."
  (interactive "P")
  (let (org-export-use-babel
        (org-export-with-broken-links 'mark))
      (org-icalendar-combine-agenda-files async)))

When I invoke (J-org-icalendar-agenda-no-babel t), the async export
errors out.  I determined that the inferior Emacs process does not see
the let-binding (org-export-with-broken-links 'mark).  Is this intended
behavior?

For now I have worked around this by writing

    (setopt org-export-with-broken-links 'mark)

At the end of the file named by `org-export-async-init-file`.

Regards!

Emacs  : GNU Emacs 29.1.50 (build 1, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.24.38, cairo version 1.17.8)
 of 2023-09-03
Package: Org mode version 9.6.9 ( @ /home/jorge/.config/emacs/elpa/org-9.6.9/)
--
- I am Brazilian.  I hope my English is correct and I welcome feedback.
- Free Software Supporter: https://www.fsf.org/free-software-supporter

* Re: [BUG] org-export-with-broken-links not respected for (org-icalendar-combine-agenda-files t) [9.6.9 ( @ /home/jorge/.config/emacs/elpa/org-9.6.9/)]
  2023-09-09 21:45 [BUG] org-export-with-broken-links not respected for (org-icalendar-combine-agenda-files t) [9.6.9 ( @ /home/jorge/.config/emacs/elpa/org-9.6.9/)] Jorge P. de Morais Neto
@ 2023-09-10  7:50 ` Ihor Radchenko
From: Ihor Radchenko @ 2023-09-10  7:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jorge P. de Morais Neto; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

"Jorge P. de Morais Neto" <jorge+list@disr.it> writes:

> Hi.  I am on Gentoo.  I wrote the following Elisp function:

> (defun J-org-icalendar-agenda-no-babel (&optional async)
>   "Invoke `org-icalendar-combine-agenda-files' without babel, maybe ASYNC.
>
> Also, make broken Org links just get marked as such in the
> output, instead of stopping the export with an error."
>   (interactive "P")
>   (let (org-export-use-babel
>         (org-export-with-broken-links 'mark))
>       (org-icalendar-combine-agenda-files async)))
>
> When I invoke (J-org-icalendar-agenda-no-babel t), the async export
> errors out.  I determined that the inferior Emacs process does not see
> the let-binding (org-export-with-broken-links 'mark).  Is this intended
> behavior?

This is because async export code only tries hard to copy buffer-local
variables (`org-export--generate-copy-script'). Global bindings are not
transferred.

I am not sure if transferring global bindings is something we should do.

The existence of `org-export-async-init-file' implies that user may want
to use different settings from the Emacs session. If we start
transferring the full Org-related Emacs state to async process, users
with custom `org-export-async-init-file' might be affected.

On the other hand, your use-case clearly shows that the current behaviour
can be confusing.
So...
Confirmed.

One possible way to fix the confusion could be adding a new
`org-export-async-preserve-global-state' variable. When non-nil, we will
transfer global state in addition to the buffer-locals.
But I would like to hear other opinions first, if there are any.

--
Ihor Radchenko // yantar92,
Org mode contributor,

@ 2023-09-14 13:14   ` Jorge P. de Morais Neto
From: Jorge P. de Morais Neto @ 2023-09-14 13:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi!  I reply below:

Em [2023-09-10 dom 07:50:22+0000], Ihor Radchenko escreveu:

> One possible way to fix the confusion could be adding a new
> `org-export-async-preserve-global-state' variable.  When non-nil, we
> will transfer global state in addition to the buffer-locals.  But I
> would like to hear other opinions first, if there are any.

In the meantime, or *in addition* to other changes, we could ameliorate
the problem with documentation.  Probably mention the potentially
confusing behavior in the Org manual, and maybe also in the docstring of
`org-icalendar-combine-agenda-files' and other functions that invoke
async export.

Regards!

--
- https://www.fsf.org/ "Free Software Foundation: working together for free software"

@ 2023-09-15  9:13     ` Ihor Radchenko
From: Ihor Radchenko @ 2023-09-15  9:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jorge P. de Morais Neto; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Jorge P. de Morais Neto <jorge+list@disr.it> writes:

> In the meantime, or *in addition* to other changes, we could ameliorate
> the problem with documentation.  Probably mention the potentially
> confusing behavior in the Org manual, and maybe also in the docstring of
> `org-icalendar-combine-agenda-files' and other functions that invoke
> async export.

Would you be interested to submit a patch?

--
Ihor Radchenko // yantar92,
Org mode contributor,

@ 2023-09-15 10:23       ` Jorge P. de Morais Neto
From: Jorge P. de Morais Neto @ 2023-09-15 10:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi!  I reply below:

Em [2023-09-15 sex 09:13:46+0000], Ihor Radchenko escreveu:

> Would you be interested to submit a patch?

Yes, I suppose I can do it!  I will try do do it this weekend, but it
could take longer because, although it will be a simple patch, I am
disorganized.

Regards!

--
- Adopt libre formats and protocols like PDF, Org, LaTeX, ODF, Opus, WebM and 7z.
- Libre apps for AOSP (Replicant, LineageOS etc.), Android: https://f-droid.org/

@ 2023-09-15 10:36         ` Ihor Radchenko
From: Ihor Radchenko @ 2023-09-15 10:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jorge P. de Morais Neto; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Jorge P. de Morais Neto <jorge+list@disr.it> writes:

>> Would you be interested to submit a patch?
>
> Yes, I suppose I can do it!  I will try do do it this weekend, but it
> could take longer because, although it will be a simple patch, I am
> disorganized.

Thanks in advance!
You may refer to
https://orgmode.org/worg/org-contribute.html#first-patch for instructions.

--
Ihor Radchenko // yantar92,
Org mode contributor,

@ 2023-10-22  9:22           ` Ihor Radchenko
From: Ihor Radchenko @ 2023-10-22  9:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jorge P. de Morais Neto; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

> Jorge P. de Morais Neto <jorge+list@disr.it> writes:
>
>>> Would you be interested to submit a patch?
>>
>> Yes, I suppose I can do it!  I will try do do it this weekend, but it
>> could take longer because, although it will be a simple patch, I am
>> disorganized.

It has been over one month since the last activity in this thread.
May I know if you are still interested to work on the patch?
If you encounter any difficulties, feel free to ask us anything.

--
Ihor Radchenko // yantar92,
Org mode contributor,